How to determine, if it is time to replace a HDD

• Hi!

I have a 6TB HDD from TOSHIBA, wich becomes... slower. I am a bit concerned about its state, as it has already over 21000 power-on-hours and has a horrily long spinup time. Could someone with experience have a look at my smart data?

If I say "slower", I mean it used to sequentially write with over 110MByte/s on it (via my 1GBit/s network), but now I am getting drops in sequential read and write perfomance to 40 or 30 MByte/s if I write or read huge files (>=20GB usually).

[SMART-data attached as txt]

If I test it with hdparm I still get quite good values...

Code
    hdparm -tT --direct /dev/sdd

/dev/sdd:
     Timing O_DIRECT cached reads:   242 MB in  2.01 seconds = 120.18 MB/sec
     Timing O_DIRECT disk reads: 618 MB in  3.00 seconds = 205.71 MB/sec

Any suggestions?

Best regards

Pascal

• Use the kernel´s "O_DIRECT" flag when performing a -t timing test. This bypasses the page cache, causing the reads to go directly from the drive into hdparm's buffers, using so-called "raw" I/O. In many cases, this can produce results that appear much faster than the usual page cache method, giving a better indication of the raw device and driver performance.

It so explains why hdparm -t --direct may be faster than hdparm -t. It also says that --direct only applies to the -t test, not to the -T test which is not supposed to involve the disk

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!