Using iScsi in OMV5

• I have an install of OMV 5 with a 6tb RAID being shared out (currently over SMB) to a Windows 10 install. Works great, but some games won't run over a NAS connection due to anticheat. I've read that iScsi can help with this limitation, but can't find a guide for getting it to work on OMV 5. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

• Ok, I have it installed. Are there any walkthroughs for this particular plugin? First time using iSCSi so not entirely sure how to map it to my windows computer now. Is it possible to use an existing shared folder, or do I have to format the whole RAID and pass it directly to my Windows machine. I'm using it for shared storage over SMB with my Proxmox hosts and a few computers on my LAN, so I was hoping to allow the Windows machine access to a certain folder while the rest is left untouched.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are there any walkthroughs for this particular plugin

Don't think so, technically you have to point it to a shared folder, however, this where you're on your own, the last time I used this was to create an iscsi target on am MS Server to backup to OMV.

But on reddit the preferred method to use this for your purpose is to use an ssd but you test this on your raid and see how it goes.

Update: Windows machines will require the ms iscsi initiator to connect to that iscsi target -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service, looking at it you have to do the configuration by right click and go to properties.

• Ok, one last question. Maybe you'll know the answer. How do I point it to the shared folder? It just asks for the path. Would I just use the "Relative Path" under share folders (i.e. iSCSiTest/), or do I have to point it some other way?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have seen your post on reddit, I have used this before that's why I warned you just setting this up pointing to share on OMV, why? Because the MS Initiator will want to format it to NTFS even if the share is ext4.

What you want to do the best and safest option is to use a single drive and use that as the target.

I set this up using an MS Server as the initiator, OMV was set up with Raid 6 but the whole raid was to used as a backup for the server, so when the server wanted to format the target to NTFS I let it continue.

The target was also an SMB share which meant I could access it from any windows machine on the network to check the backup had completed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What you want to do the best and safest option is to use a single drive and use that as the target.

Another idea is to use LVM. Then you create a new logical volume for each target you need. You can have many in one volume group that won't step on each other. They are easy to grow that way as well.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Another idea is to use LVM

Could the OP do that on his raid setup? The idea of this is for gaming, I'm guessing to act as some sort of caching. If this were me I would use an SSD as the target rather than existing drives that data is obviously stored.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could the OP do that on his raid setup?

No because OMV creates the filesystem on the entire array which means no resizing to create an LVM physical volume. So, in light of that, the OP could use img files which can be created from the Images tab. The new file system created on the target will be self-container in the img file.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hey guys, thanks for all the input and help. I think I have this just about up and running now, with speeds sitting above what a regular HDD comes in at, but below a true SSD. Still pretty good for running the games I don't normally play without having to get a new SSD for now. Last issue that I haven't gotten figured out, is that if I resize the .img file that I make, Windows will not pick up the change. Only way I've found around it is to delete the .img and make a new one that is larger. Not to big of an issue, but might cause problems down the road. Is there anything I need to do specifically when trying to resize the .img files?

I'll post my speeds for posterity's sake, in case any one wonder how fast it is to do something like this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Last issue that I haven't gotten figured out, is that if I resize the .img file that I make, Windows will not pick up the change. Only way I've found around it is to delete the .img and make a new one that is larger. Not to big of an issue, but might cause problems down the road. Is there anything I need to do specifically when trying to resize the .img files?

When you resize the image file, the filesystem still needs to be extended on the Windows side. Maybe Disk Manager does that? I know you can do it in gparted but no idea how to do it in Windows.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!