Change what the GUI reports under Network/Interfaces, but without actually changing settings?

• Follow-up question to an older post of mine...

In the /etc/netplan folder, I have the following files:

Code
    total 24
    drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Feb 13 12:41 .
    drwxrwxr-x 115 root root 4096 Feb 10 18:16 ..
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root  361 Dec  2 17:54 00-installer-config.yaml
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root   43 Nov 30 18:52 10-openmediavault-default.yaml
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root  227 Nov 30 18:52 20-openmediavault-eno1.yaml
    -rw-r--r--   1 root root   98 Dec  2 18:01 host-bridge.xml

The contents of 00-installer-config.yaml are as follows:

And 20-openmediavault-eno1.yaml looks like this:

Finally, this is what the GUI shows: (phew)

So, clearly the GUI reflects what's in the 20-openmediavault-eno1.yaml file. But because my system is actually using the bridge as defined in 00-installer-config.yaml, I would like to change what the GUI reports to match my bridge configuration.

The actual network configuration shows up in the Dashboard like this:

How should I go about this? Copy one file's contents to the other? Manually edit? How does OMV handle this?

I want to avoid making any actual changes from within the GUI, as I worry it'll mess up what I've set up from the SSH prompt previously (following the tutorial linked to in my older post referenced above).

I know, this is a bit unusual... but thanks in advance. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

How should I go about this? Copy one file's contents to the other? Manually edit? How does OMV handle this?

Don't manually edit. Did you setup the bridge in the web interface? If not, it won't show up in the web interface. OMV doesn't read the netplan files. It only writes them. The network config OMV reads is in the database.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If by database you mean all the SALT stuff, I won't touch that with a 64-bit pole. It's beyond me. :)

I did configure the bridge outside of the GUI - I'm guessing I'd be better off backing up the netplan files, re-configuring the bridge IN the GUI and then restoring the files. Or is that too simple?

I know, I know... I got myself into this, and worrying about an issue of pure appearance is silly, but then I'm a bit OCD about things like that. :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did configure the bridge outside of the GUI - I'm guessing I'd be better off backing up the netplan files, re-configuring the bridge IN the GUI and then restoring the files. Or is that too simple?

Why would you restore the files? Just set it up in the web interface and hit apply when you are done. The fact that you have a static ip means it shouldn't have any problems. Maybe need a reboot because of the weird bridge change (not knowing how you created the bridge from the command line).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Then that's what I'll do.

As for why I would want to restore the netplan files - I followed this guide to set up bridge networking from the command line to use with KVM, and I think there were additional, specific changes that I'd want to preserve, rather than have OMV rewrite the netplan files. I could be wrong, of course. I'll just go one step at a time.

Thanks for replying!

• Offizieller Beitrag

As for why I would want to restore the netplan files - I followed this guide to set up bridge networking from the command line to use with KVM, and I think there were additional, specific changes that I'd want to preserve, rather than have OMV rewrite the netplan files. I could be wrong, of course. I'll just go one step at a time.

With the new openmediavault-kvm plugin, you don't need to setup a bridge.

• Thank you.

I sort of solved my issue by simply starting over from scratch... using omv-firstaid to reset my connection to use plain old eno1, then re-doing the steps in the guide I linked to at the beginning.

At first, once I removed eno1 from Network/Interfaces and then attempted to add a bridge, I found it wouldn't let me. So I decided to just leave the list of network interfaces empty altogether. That's good enough to assuage my poor, OCD-wracked mind. :P

With that said, definitely looking forward to when your kvm plugin gets out of the testing phase. I've been following the thread about it with great interest.

• cubemin

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!