File system status says "Missing" after restarting Raspberry pi 3B+

• Hi there,

I'm totally new here and just last week installed the OMV on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. I have a problem and tried to find a solution here but so far I didn't find any.

Today I restarted my Raspberry Pi 3B+ and now the file system of 2 disks is showing status "Missing".

It's not a Raid setup, just 2 seperate disks.

Schermafbeelding 2021-02-14 om 18.15.59.png

How can I solve this? I try to find an answer on this forum but I only found situations where it's about a RAID situation.

I hope anyone can help me.

Kind regards, Patrick

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do they show up under the Disks tab?

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about your Shared Folders for those drives? Are they still present? I’m wondering if you could delete the drives in File Systems and then recreate/mount them. I’m wondering what that would do to your Shared Folders paths. If one of those drives is your main and the other is backup to it, you might try to just remove the backup drive from File Systems and then recreate and mount it.

I’m curious about your mount points. They appear as /dev/disk-by-label/... Mine are /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, etc. yours look more like paths to shared folders.

Be careful. Don’t reformat the drives or anything in the Drives tab. When you create/mount use the same name you had before. And you might wait a bit to get a second opinion.

• I still see the shares I made:

The first 2 shares I made by accident (not giving a path), resulting in unreachable shares.

The next four shares I made after that: I pressed "Add", gave it a name (i.e. "private"), selected the Seagate 750 drive, selected the path "private" and pressed "Save".

But when I now select for instance Seagate750, I cannot delete it anymore. WhenI press "Edit" I see the following:

and I cannot select another drive.

I cannot delete disks, file systems and shared folders. I don't know if I can first delete a user, and than the shares and than the file systems (in that order) because that's the reverse creation order I did during installation.

You said "I’m curious about your mount points. They appear as /dev/disk-by-label/... Mine are /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, etc. yours look more like paths to shared folders.". As you can see my file systems are not mounted:

but I thought I did mount them.

And don't worry about reformatting; made that mistake ones long time ago ;-). I'm not doing anything with the drives before I'm sure it's safe to do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In Shared Folders tab you can add Absolute Path to your header by pulling down one of the other items (relative path, device, name, etc.). Click on a triangle next to one of the other header items and check Absolute Path when the menu drops down. Shoot a screen shot of that.

I see you have made a whole-disk share for each drive. Do you Rsync your main drive to the backup in this way? Any Rsync jobs will also cause the shared folders to be referenced.

You do not need to delete users. Just uncheck their permissions to the shared folders. Do you also have SAMBA shares? If so, they need to be deleted to un-reference shared folders. All services that were created after you created the shared folders need to go.

• Here are the absolute paths:

I see you have made a whole-disk share for each drive.

At first I did but than I could not reach the 2 disks. The second time I made a share to four folders (private, private(WD), public, public(WD)). These folders I could approach from my Windows laptop and my iMac.

Do you Rsync your main drive to the backup in this way? Any Rsync jobs will also cause the shared folders to be referenced.

No, I did not manage any rsync jobs (wouldn't know how).

You do not need to delete users. Just uncheck their permissions to the shared folders.

So I tried. But then after applying I get an error: "Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl restart 'sharedfolders-Seagate750.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': A dependency job for sharedfolders-Seagate750.mount failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details"

I also don't use SAMBA shares.

Sadly, not much goes right ?(.

Edit: I was thinking: What would be the effect when I disable SMB/CIFS and Apple Filing and delete the shares under SMB/CIFS and Apple Filing?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I’m sorry. I meant SMB shares. They are a reference to the shared folders so they should be deleted. Not too hard to set back up when you get the file systems back up.

I’m afraid I don’t see where your reference to Apple filing is. I remember it being in OMV4, but I thought it was done away with in 5.

• I’m sorry. I meant SMB shares. They are a reference to the shared folders so they should be deleted.

As you mentioned I have disabled SMB/CIFS and Apple Filing and deleted the shares. So now from all the services only SHH is enabled, the rest is disabled.

So now indeed I'm able to delete (the delete button is no longer greyed out) all the shares but one (SeaGate750, delete button is not greyed out)). And after doing that I press "Apply" but then I get this error:

"Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl restart 'sharedfolders-Seagate750.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': A dependency job for sharedfolders-Seagate750.mount failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details."

"Error #0:

OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl restart 'sharedfolders-Seagate750.mount' 2>&1' with exit code '1': A dependency job for sharedfolders-Seagate750.mount failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(86): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 1)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(160): OMV\System\SystemCtl->exec('restart', NULL, false)
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/sharedfolders.inc(66): OMV\System\SystemCtl->restart()
    #3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(194): OMVModuleSharedfolders->startService()
    #4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(565): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusVy...', '/tmp/bgoutputtH...')
    #8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
    #9 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(213): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #10 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
    #11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #12 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
    #13 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
    #14 {main}
    "

And no matter what I do (just one share or all at once), it always produces the same error. Same when I only remove the privileges.

And also when I try to change the privileges from my user, this message appears. It's always the same error.

So I'm not very sure this problem can be solved. The error keeps popping up, no matter what I do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

With apologies to Agricola for butting in.

Sometimes "odd" things happen. I've been running a few amd64 servers, for more than a few years, and I've had two completely inexplicable events so far:
    - In one instance, no matter what I did, I couldn't change anything networking related in the GUI. The error message didn't make sense either. (One of the Dev's looked over the code and stated that what was happening, to me, was not even possible given how the code was written.)
    - Recently, after rebooting my main server, ZFS headers refused to load with the kernel. And,,, they refused to load from the command line as well.

When it comes to SBC's and SD-cards, off brand or older SD-card's are not stone reliable. I've had more issues than those noted above, with SD-cards, but I've come to expect occasional problems. (Sd-cards, simply stated, are not as reliable as SSD's or spinning drives.)

In the bottom line, on a fairly rare occasion, software "corruption" can happen and there may be no explaining the secondary effects.

So, I'd ask, do you have OS backup? If not, since you're very close to being de-configured anyway, consider rebuilding. This time around wipe and test your SD-card (according to -> this) before building it. I would consider buying 2 new SD-cards and setting up OS backup in accordance with -> this.

With backup, you'll be able to recover from issues like this in minutes.

• Offizieller Beitrag

patrickvdd what crashtest stated above was going to be my next suggestion. I was hoping we would stumble onto a solution. Take screenshots and lots of notes. A fresh install will be best in the long run. Look at those two guides crashtest links to above. The whole of the second document is well worth the read.

I am still puzzled about your Apple filing. Are you sure you are not running OMV4? I cannot find that service anywhere in my OMV5 installs, though I do remember seeing it in the past. I think it was discontinued with OMV5. I have Macs and I have never used it. SMB works fine for me on Macs and Linux machines.

• am still puzzled about your Apple filing. Are you sure you are not running OMV4?

Starting with this: Your right, I'm running OMV4 (I thought it was 5, my apoligies). Sorry, I suppose this has been confussing.

In reaction to your quotes:

my next suggestion

and

If not, since you're very close to being de-configured anyway, consider rebuilding.

So if I'm right you both recommend to rebuild OMV on a new SD-card (and make an exact copy on a second SD-card) and then put it in the RPi for installation? And from there trying to connect to the drives again? Will this save the data on the HDD's?

And while we're at it: should I better do this with OMV5 instead of OMV4? Or would that be troubling the data recovery If even possible)?

Both of you: thanks so much. I'm going to read the information on the sites to prepare for repairing the SD's.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And from there trying to connect to the drives again? Will this save the data on the HDD's?

(Assuming you didn't wipe, reformat or delete) The data on the drives should still be there. After creating the new build, obviously, you wouldn't want to wipe or reformat your data drives either. Just plug the drives in and boot up.

When creating a Shared Folder, in the new build, select the existing storage drive in the Device field, then use the Folder Icon on the right side of the Path field to select the appropriate data folder. Click on the folder and the path is set. Then go to the top, give it a name, set your permissions, and save. That should do it.

From there, layer a SMB share onto the shared folder and that should put the share on the network.

In the worst case scenario, you "might" have to install the reset-perms plugin, to reset existing permissions on old folders but I wouldn't worry about that in the beginning. (Just keep it in mind.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, I would go with OMV5 and disconnect your data drives while you install. Don’t create your cloned backup until you have your data drives, shares, and users set up.

Thanks for confirming on your version. I was about to go nuts trying to find Apple filing on my OMV5 servers.

Since you use Macs, this guide will be helpful for backing up your sd card from the terminal. Actually, the site has instructions for using Windows, Mac, or Linux.

• (Assuming you didn't wipe, reformat or delete) The data on the drives should still be there.

No, I wouldn't dare. I've just let them to rest.

When creating a Shared Folder, in the new build, select the existing storage drive in the Device field, then use the Folder Icon on the right side of the Path field to select the appropriate data folder. Click on the folder and the path is set. Then go to the top, give it a name, set your permissions, and save. That should do it.

From there, layer a SMB share onto the shared folder and that should put the share on the network.

In the worst case scenario, you "might" have to install the reset-perms plugin, to reset existing permissions on old folders but I wouldn't worry about that in the beginning. (Just keep it in mind.)

I started by ordering 2 SanDisk 16GB Micro SD's, as mentioned in the article.

When they are in, I start installing (probably Friday or so). Then I will use your tips above.

Both Agricola and crashtest , Thnx so far. I will let you know later this week what the results have been.

• Yes, I would go with OMV5 and disconnect your data drives while you install. Don’t create your cloned backup until you have your data drives, shares, and users set up.

I was already looking for the download. But I'm a bit confused which iso to use. I have now downloaded "openmediavault_5.3.9-amd64.iso" from here. Is that the right one for my RPi 3B+?

Thanks for confirming on your version. I was about to go nuts trying to find Apple filing on my OMV5 servers.

Again: sorry for that. I really thought I used the last version (or so) ?(

Since you use Macs, this guide will be helpful for backing up your sd card from the terminal. Actually, the site has instructions for using Windows, Mac, or Linux

Thanks for this. I also use W10 and Linux (sometimes) so I will read this carefully.

As already said: I will react later this week to let you know how I did.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was already looking for the download. But I'm a bit confused which iso to use. I have now downloaded "openmediavault_5.3.9-amd64.iso" from here. Is that the right one for my RPi 3B+?

No that is for AMD64 machines. Let me look... Here's the Rpi Wiki install. Here's the Raspberry download page. Select the "Lite" download.

• Select the "Lite" download.

Sorry to ask but this is Rasberry Lite OS.

What I previously used was an OMV 4 image and after putting that on the SD-card I put it in the RPi and it just installed itself.
    How does this work when I use a RPi Lite OS? Reading the page it does looks like it. But maybe you can confirm this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Things have changed. We're not using "preinstalled" images anymore for a variety of reasons.

If you follow the wiki -> install procedure, you'll be installing OMV5 by script. This works fine and you'll be installing a few utilities on your Windows client that you may find useful later.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!