Install phpMyAdmin

• Hi there,

Can anyone tell me, or point me to a beginner's how-to, to install phpMyAdmin on OMV5? I have Docker running MariaDB and Piwigo and I have lost my password to Piwigo after setting it all up again last night. I thought my browser had saved it but seems not! I'd like to perhaps reset the password in the database using phpMyAdmin.

There are lots of guides out there but most are tailored to setting up MariaBD and phpMyAdmin at the same time using Docker. I don't want to try this in case I mess things up!

Thanks,

Nick.

• An internet search search for "setup phpMyAdmin" didn't provide hits to https://docs.phpmyadmin.net/en/latest/setup.html?

As with any other web-based application the default port it listens to is 80, hence must be configured to have access to OMV and the new tool in parallel. (see https://docs.phpmyadmin.net/en…etup.html#envvar-PMA_PORT)

omv 5.6.3-1 (usul) on RPi4/4GB with Kernel 5.10.x and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 6TB HDD formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

Edited once, last by mi-hol ().

• Yes, thanks but, like I said, I am more looking to set it up with Docker. Most of the guides out there set it up alongside something else so I'm just looking to set it up with what I've already got and without breaking everything

Thanks,

Nick.

• There are lots of guides out there but most are tailored to setting up MariaBD and phpMyAdmin at the same time using Docker. I don't want to try this in case I mess things up!

Use docker. Then you won't mess up anything in your OS. That is benefit of docker. I would use the official phpmyadmin docker image - https://hub.docker.com/_/phpmyadmin. It has instructions on how to create it on the docker hub page.

omv 5.6.4 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Perhaps a simpler solution would be Keepass. It's free to install, just don't forget your "master" password, and you'll be fine. If you mount a Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. folder on your PC, it will always be backed up to the cloud. I prefer keepass2 as it has a better GUI, but 1 & 2 seem to be actively maintained.

I've used it for years and paid for the Android app so I'd have it on my phone (this allows you to access a database on Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.)

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• I am more looking to set it up with Docker

AFAIK you can use an existing docker mariadb, which you have created, so in the compose file you direct phpMyAdmin to that running docker ........................... and before you ask, sorry I don't know, but I know a man who 'might' macom:)

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

• If you use the docker-compose from the official phpmyadmin page I linked to, it uses an internal mariadb database (required by phpmyadmin). Then you can connect to any external mysql/mariadb database to admin it. You won't be able to use the mariadb database spun up by the compose for anything but you shouldn't need to. Just spin up another mysql/mariadb container.

• Why do you want phpMyAdmin? Just connect to the container "docker exec -it <container-name> /bin/bash" and run mysqlclient? Ods are your MariaDB still will need configuring to accept requests from outside the container, although I have no idea what image you are using and downloaded.

• Perhaps a simpler solution would be Keepass. It's free to install, just don't forget your "master" password, and you'll be fine. If you mount a Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. folder on your PC, it will always be backed up to the cloud. I prefer keepass2 as it has a better GUI, but 1 & 2 seem to be actively maintained.

I've used it for years and paid for the Android app so I'd have it on my phone (this allows you to access a database on Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.)

Thanks, I usually use Firefox Lockwise, or whatever its called, been very reliable for me - maybe I didn't save the password or something. I'll check out Keepass though just to take a look. Thanks for the tip!

If you use the docker-compose from the official phpmyadmin page I linked to, it uses an internal mariadb database (required by phpmyadmin). Then you can connect to any external mysql/mariadb database to admin it. You won't be able to use the mariadb database spun up by the compose for anything but you shouldn't need to. Just spin up another mysql/mariadb container.

OK, many thanks for your help here. Seems like I've somehow managed to get it set up.

I ran docker pull phpmyadmin and waited for that to finish. Then I headed over to Portainer and added this stack:

If I now head over to 192.168.1.xxx:8080, I get to the login page, where I leave the server address empty, the user: root; password: password. That gets me in but I don't see my Piwigo database, so what am I doing wrong, please?

Why do you want phpMyAdmin? Just connect to the container "docker exec -it <container-name> /bin/bash" and run mysqlclient? Ods are your MariaDB still will need configuring to accept requests from outside the container, although I have no idea what image you are using and downloaded.

Thanks, I rather do some things using a GUI.

Thank you, all,

Nick.

• If I now head over to 192.168.1.xxx:8080, I get to the login page, where I leave the server address empty, the user: root; password: password. That gets me in but I don't see my Piwigo database, so what am I doing wrong, please?

You need to fill in the server name with the hostname where the database you want to connect to lives.

• That's what I thought but where do I find that?

I can't answer that. Where is mysql or mariadb installed that you forgot the password?

• OK, thank you for helping me.

So, Piwigo is installed through Docker (as is MariaDB) on 192.168.1.xxx. I am guessing that the databas is here: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-a02e5633-efc0-42a0-8098-3d413a5bc0b0/mariadb-photo/databases/piwigo

I hope that's what you need.

Thanks,

Nick.

• I hope that's what you need.

Nope. Just wanted the hostname. Is mariadb created with piwigo by docker-compose? I need to know how mariadb is created.

• Oh, okay - sorry, I don't know where to find the hostname. MariaDB was created by the stack, as I used this tutorial. Thanks.

Why do you want phpMyAdmin? Just connect to the container "docker exec -it <container-name> /bin/bash" and run mysqlclient? Ods are your MariaDB still will need configuring to accept requests from outside the container, although I have no idea what image you are using and downloaded.

Also, dan-e-levy, I had a tinker around with this idea just to learn something new. I didn't realise that you could get at the database this way as well, so that's good to know and thanks for pointing it out. Re-reading my last reply to you, I think I came accross as a bit short, I didn't mean that. Still I would rather a graphical interface like phpMyAdmin for now, but your method is one that I'll be tinkering with in the future.

Thanks to you both,

Nick.

• find the hostname. MariaDB was created by the stack,

The hostname is not of the docker container. It is the docker host hostname. What did you name the box the container is running on?

as I used this tutorial. Thanks.

That tutorial uses compose and is exposing port 3306. So, if you use the box's hostname, it should work.

• OK, sorry for the delayed reply, life took over.

First of all, thanks for your help - if I fill in 192.168.1.xxx:3306, or OMVhostname:3306 then I can access the Piwigo database and change my password, so all is good and this is resolved.

Sorry for being so tedious but I learn a little bit more with every problem that people like you help me fix, plus i watch all the threads that have helped me and then refer back to them again and again. Very helpful.

Thanks,

Nick.

• Nick0

Added the Label resolved
  • Hello all

Don't mean to hijack the thread but if this is not the right place, please feel free to move it/delete it but it concerns the same, sort of.

My idea is to install and then, create a SWAG subdomain access to the phpmyadmin container to my already running docker-compose.yml (Nextcloud, SWAG, MariaDb, Redis) but, since I already have a running SQL server:

1 - Can I add the docker-compose part of phpmyadmin and use the existing DB?

Something in these lines:

After this, and after editing the "phpmyadmin.subdomain.conf" upstream port with "port=xxxx" would:

--->>> docker-compose pull phpmyadmin

--->>> docker-compose up -d phpmyadmin

And finally, would open "h**ps://phpmyadmin.my.subdomain.url" and the page should come up.

Does this looks doable or, maybe some different approach is advisable???

Thank you for your help

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!