How can I send internet traffic over WiFi but everything else over LAN?

• In Ubuntu there's a handy tick box on the LAN connection: "Use this connection only for resources on its network". That keeps all LAN traffic local.
    How can I do similar on OMV?

Basically I want to use the WiFi connection only for internet access for system updates and that's all.
    I want to serve media etc over the local LAN.

Thanks.

• viewmo

Hat den Titel des Themas von „How can I send inernet traffic over WiFi but everything else over lLAN?“ zu „How can I send inernet traffic over WiFi but everything else over LAN?“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

In Ubuntu there's a handy tick box on the LAN connection: "Use this connection only for resources on its network". That keeps all LAN traffic local.
    How can I do similar on OMV?

Basically I want to use the WiFi connection only for internet access for system updates and that's all.
    I want to serve media etc over the local LAN.

Thanks.

Why?

• I have two networks.

a) LAN has no internet. TV's, PVR and NAS are connected to this.

b) WiFi network has internet.

It seems my internet traffic is being sent over my LAN network (which has not got a connection to the internet).

I had a similar issue on my PC until I ticked the above mentioned tick-box.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah, exactly.

This is a strange way of setting up a home network and makes no real sense, don't even think it's going to be possible, you could try by turning off the WiFi on router 1, then add a WiFi connection on the NAS but set it with a static IP outside the IP scope of router B. Would that work, I have no idea. I haven't done any serious networking for years.

Why have you got it set up like this

• Its not a home network, but home networks. ;)
    They are two separate networks.
    One is entirely offline. The other isn't.
    It's not that strange, no more than having two computers is strange.

Maybe I'm using over-complicated language. The internet "network" is just a router that accesses the internet. No other resources.

There is no WiFi connection on router 1 (router A above).
    Both routers have IPs outside the scope of each other.
    The NAS has static IPs.

It is definitely possible. I'm using it that way for years on Ubuntu. I was having similar issues until the magic tick-box solved the issue.

Why have you got it set up like this

Why not?:P

I want one network offline.

I want internet access too, so I have a second router for that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think I might have solved this. I had "Gateway" configured for both LAN and WiFi cards. I deleted the LAN gateway and it seems to be working now

That's a result then :) TBH what you are doing is something similar to when I ran smoothwall, that was back in the day of 'dial up' for internet access

• viewmo

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • viewmo

Hat den Titel des Themas von „How can I send inernet traffic over WiFi but everything else over LAN?“ zu „How can I send internet traffic over WiFi but everything else over LAN?“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!