Updating OMV NAS using USB Tethering

• I plan on getting a router for a future OMV build that I am going to do, or at least I hope to. Thing is, it won't have an internet connection with the router, as I already pay my bills for mobile data, which is enough for my daily use.

Coming to the point, can I update the server by connecting it to the internet using usb tethering from my phone? Will it mess up the static IP, can I update it from the web gui, after I connect the phone to the server pc, or do I have to do it from the terminal on the server? Or do I have to disconnect the server, update it, and then connect it?

PS: Sorry if some of these questions are weird, I have no experience, but I'm very curious and interested in these. All I want to do is set up the server, and update it from time to time, using the usb tethering option from my phone.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is going to be kind of pointless (if I understand you correctly) as if your mobile device is not on your network (and it's using mobile data), the clients will not be able to see the server w/o a lot of hoop jumping, thus making some of it's most useful functions (smb, nfs, and a few others) useless.

If I'm understanding you correctly... Unless you don't need any local access to the server, I can see very few situations where what you want to do makes any sense at all (one of the few would be if the server was a remote backup server)

• That is going to be kind of pointless (if I understand you correctly) as if your mobile device is not on your network (and it's using mobile data), the clients will not be able to see the server w/o a lot of hoop jumping, thus making some of it's most useful functions (smb, nfs, and a few others) useless.

If I'm understanding you correctly... Unless you don't need any local access to the server, I can see very few situations where what you want to do makes any sense at all (one of the few would be if the server was a remote backup server)

The only user would be me, all local access. Nothing else. I have no network per se, the only thing I have is a data plan from a telecom provider from my sim card. I was planning on getting a router for my future nas setup, and update it time to time with my phone's data connection. I'm fine with downtime or disconnecting or even setting up a new static IP for my server. Other than this, it wouldn't be connected to the internet as I intend to use it as a file server. Also thanks for replying. :)

• I don't know how complicated USB thethering is with Debian. AFAIK it is possible.

However: Why don't you get yourself a cheap wifi stick for the server and use the phone as wifi access point? IMHO this should be really easy to setup.

• On a second thought: Why do you want a router anyway in this setup? Which functionality does it provide? I mean your phone is actually acting as access point (either by USB or wifi).

I'd want a router to wirelessly/wired connect my laptop and other future devices in my home.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd want a router to wirelessly/wired connect my laptop and other future devices in my home.

Then why not connect the server to said router? I still don't think you understand this is going to cause more problems than it's worth, but I guess we all have to learn in our own way

• Then why not connect the server to said router? I still don't think you understand this is going to cause more problems than it's worth, but I guess we all have to learn in our own way

I do understand this is going to be a heck of a ride xD. I don't have said router near me, gotta purchase one, also gotta buy internet services to plug into the router. Feel me?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do understand this is going to be a heck of a ride xD. I don't have said router near me, gotta purchase one, also gotta buy internet services to plug into the router. Feel me?

I do, but honestly I don't think you have any clue what you're getting into, and this little endeavor will last about 10min.

• I don't know how complicated USB thethering is with Debian. AFAIK it is possible.

However: Why don't you get yourself a cheap wifi stick for the server and use the phone as wifi access point

@AnirbanG007 you didn't reveal what hardware you use for OMV.

Assuming its a RPi4, wifi is already build-in, hence easy to test.

For instructions on "howto setup USB thethering with Debian" I'd search the internet.

its a matter of trying it out and learning from errors.

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• @AnirbanG007 you didn't reveal what hardware you use for OMV.

Assuming its a RPi4, wifi is already build-in, hence easy to test.

For instructions on "howto setup USB thethering with Debian" I'd search the internet.

its a matter of trying it out and learning from errors.

A core2duo machine, no wifi add-in card or built-in...

• Seems a no-brainer according to https://centinel4.wordpress.co…ng-and-debian-awsomeness/

AnirbanG007 Have you had success?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!