Updating OMV NAS using USB Tethering

• I plan on getting a router for a future OMV build that I am going to do, or at least I hope to. Thing is, it won't have an internet connection with the router, as I already pay my bills for mobile data, which is enough for my daily use.

Coming to the point, can I update the server by connecting it to the internet using usb tethering from my phone? Will it mess up the static IP, can I update it from the web gui, after I connect the phone to the server pc, or do I have to do it from the terminal on the server? Or do I have to disconnect the server, update it, and then connect it?

PS: Sorry if some of these questions are weird, I have no experience, but I'm very curious and interested in these. All I want to do is set up the server, and update it from time to time, using the usb tethering option from my phone.

• That is going to be kind of pointless (if I understand you correctly) as if your mobile device is not on your network (and it's using mobile data), the clients will not be able to see the server w/o a lot of hoop jumping, thus making some of it's most useful functions (smb, nfs, and a few others) useless.

If I'm understanding you correctly... Unless you don't need any local access to the server, I can see very few situations where what you want to do makes any sense at all (one of the few would be if the server was a remote backup server)

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• That is going to be kind of pointless (if I understand you correctly) as if your mobile device is not on your network (and it's using mobile data), the clients will not be able to see the server w/o a lot of hoop jumping, thus making some of it's most useful functions (smb, nfs, and a few others) useless.

If I'm understanding you correctly... Unless you don't need any local access to the server, I can see very few situations where what you want to do makes any sense at all (one of the few would be if the server was a remote backup server)

The only user would be me, all local access. Nothing else. I have no network per se, the only thing I have is a data plan from a telecom provider from my sim card. I was planning on getting a router for my future nas setup, and update it time to time with my phone's data connection. I'm fine with downtime or disconnecting or even setting up a new static IP for my server. Other than this, it wouldn't be connected to the internet as I intend to use it as a file server. Also thanks for replying. :)

• Ok, I got ya. For some reason I was thinking tethering off a cell phone..

I mean I guess it could work. Never heard of anyone doing that, so you will probably be on your own.

• I don't know how complicated USB thethering is with Debian. AFAIK it is possible.

However: Why don't you get yourself a cheap wifi stick for the server and use the phone as wifi access point? IMHO this should be really easy to setup.

• On a second thought: Why do you want a router anyway in this setup? Which functionality does it provide? I mean your phone is actually acting as access point (either by USB or wifi).

I'd want a router to wirelessly/wired connect my laptop and other future devices in my home.

• I'd want a router to wirelessly/wired connect my laptop and other future devices in my home.

Then why not connect the server to said router? I still don't think you understand this is going to cause more problems than it's worth, but I guess we all have to learn in our own way

• Then why not connect the server to said router? I still don't think you understand this is going to cause more problems than it's worth, but I guess we all have to learn in our own way

I do understand this is going to be a heck of a ride xD. I don't have said router near me, gotta purchase one, also gotta buy internet services to plug into the router. Feel me?

• I do understand this is going to be a heck of a ride xD. I don't have said router near me, gotta purchase one, also gotta buy internet services to plug into the router. Feel me?

I do, but honestly I don't think you have any clue what you're getting into, and this little endeavor will last about 10min.

• I don't know how complicated USB thethering is with Debian. AFAIK it is possible.

However: Why don't you get yourself a cheap wifi stick for the server and use the phone as wifi access point

@AnirbanG007 you didn't reveal what hardware you use for OMV.

Assuming its a RPi4, wifi is already build-in, hence easy to test.

For instructions on "howto setup USB thethering with Debian" I'd search the internet.

its a matter of trying it out and learning from errors.

omv 5.5.23-1 (usul) on RPi4 with Kernel 5.10.x and WittyPi 3 RTC HAT

2x 6TB HDD formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• @AnirbanG007 you didn't reveal what hardware you use for OMV.

Assuming its a RPi4, wifi is already build-in, hence easy to test.

For instructions on "howto setup USB thethering with Debian" I'd search the internet.

its a matter of trying it out and learning from errors.

A core2duo machine, no wifi add-in card or built-in...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!