Docker fundamentals - Do I need portainer?

• Hello everybody,

I'm new to OMV and I'm very excited about this solution, I find a total complete product with a lot of potential.

I'm trying to setup docker to serve an HomeAssistant Core container; I'm using the very last version of OMV (5.6.0-1, just updated).

I've a general doubt about containers: do I need to use portainer to manage them? I've installed docker with success and I can't find any resource in the GUI to manage any container.

I've tried to search for this in the documentation or in the forum, but I couldn't find anything so I decided to open a thread on my own.

Thank you in advance

• Need? Absolutely not.

Is it going to make things a heckuva lot easier for a newb? Absolutely. I love where Yacht is going but I don't think it's quite there yet (but development seems to be consistent)... so I'd recommend Portainer to a new user.

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• Have you tried the latest release? Docker compose support is much better. Also am working on adding a support bundle downloader to get support easily (downloads a zip containing the docker-compose as well as the logs for each container in it).

Still definitely alpha quality but it's slowly getting there. Always happy to get feedback if there's anything in particular you're looking for as far as features/issues.

Author of Yacht

If you need help with it feel free to pm me here or on my discord.

DiscordDocker Hub Pulls

• Have you tried the latest release? Docker compose support is much better. Also am working on adding a support bundle downloader to get support easily (downloads a zip containing the docker-compose as well as the logs for each container in it).

Still definitely alpha quality but it's slowly getting there. Always happy to get feedback if there's anything in particular you're looking for as far as features/issues.

Not yet... I actually installed it yesterday, but haven't had a chance to really mess with it due to work.

Understand... If I wasn't clear before let me make sure I'm perfectly clear.. I'm not dogging your work at all. Quite the opposite, I'm interested to see where it goes... but for new users who are probably lost as it is, I'd probably still recommend Portainer for the time being.

• As other said, Portainer will make your life easier, but I'd go with docker-compose all the way. You will learn a lot along the way, and at the end of the day, for a home user, you just need to remember a few commands and options.

• +1 for docker-compose

I also consider myself a noob and started with Portainer.

After seeing some threads and reading about it, I started working with the CLI and docker-compose.

And now, I only use Portainer to BASH into the containers (sometimes) and not much else.

The simplicity of using the CLI beats the big learning curve of Portainer.

Alot has been learned since,

• i like docker-compose myself and would encourage everyone to have an understanding of it... but with a lot of folks here on the forum being completely new to Linux, let alone running a home server/NAS.. throwing all that at them can easily be overwhelming.

Having a good GUI tool for container management like Portainer, Cockpit or Yacht is critical, IMO.

• As simple as docker exec -ti "app name" /bin/sh

• Open another terminal ;-)

Touché...

Only, I'm still too green on Linux to know how to do it remotely.

I'm running the Pi headless and the server is at home in Portugal and I'm in the Netherlands at the moment.

Always to scare to mess things up and the server dying on me, :D

• There is no learning if you don't fuck it up from time to time

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!