New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am sorry to say this but will you please remove this:

When someone asks for a feature, I am trying to follow the libvirt domain xml guide and not just do exactly what one user wants. I did not see the ps2 input devices before and the guide had the usb and libvirt devices. My testing showed they were working fine. So, I thought it would be ok. I know virtualization extremely well but I am new to libvirt. So, try to remember that.

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…3f838cb2f2270f2799d4e52a4

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• I've just grabbed this plugin, usually use VBox on bare metal, but would like to try VM's from within OMV, not tried Cockpit yet, have it installed but prefer this method.

But, there's always a but, I've setup 2 pools, 1 iso, 2 for VM's, setup a network within my ip range, and the demo one. I keep getting an error and to be honest I lost :) I could do with a really quick run down on how to add a VM. I know you're going to do one later, but I'd like to contribute to this forum if possible, any way here is the error -

I expect it's something I've not setup and probably simple, but I'm getting frustrated. Any help gratefully received

In general->network computer name and localdomain is set.

Unable to create domain - Error defining domain: invalid argument: could not find capabilities for domaintype=kvm

Error #0:
    OMV\Exception: Unable to create domain - Error defining domain: invalid argument: could not find capabilities for domaintype=kvm in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/kvm.inc:565
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceKvm->setVm(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('setVm', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Kvm', 'setVm', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can't link directly to your webUI... that is only accessible on your local network.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Error defining domain: invalid argument: could not find capabilities for domaintype=kvm

What kind of system? I think you are running on a system without the right capabilities.

I could do with a really quick run down on how to add a VM. I know you're going to do one later, but I'd like to contribute to this

The problem is I don't want to do it twice or ten times. I want the plugin in a good state because it has changed a lot already.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• What kind of system? I think you are running on a system without the right capabilities.

The problem is I don't want to do it twice or ten times. I want the plugin in a good state because it has changed a lot already.

I'm using a HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Small Form Factor with a I5-4570 and 24G of memory. I'll try and see if I can create a VM from within cockpit.

I understand your thoughts on a how-to. I'll try some more and see what I can do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm using a HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Small Form Factor with a I5-4570 and 24G of memory. I'll try and see if I can create a VM from within cockpit.

Cockpit uses libvirt just like the plugin. I'm guessing you have virtualization disabled in the bios.

• Cockpit uses libvirt just like the plugin. I'm guessing you have virtualization disabled in the bios.

Thanks for the help, it was indeed virtualization not enabled in the BIOS, I forgot I update the BIOS and just assumed it would keep previous settings. After all my time with PC, I should of known better :)

Thanks for your help. I'm going to go back through this forum and reread it all. Thanks again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm going to go back through this forum and reread it all.

Can you help point out what isn't self-explanatory about adding a VM in the plugin but is self-explanatory about cockpit? In the first post of this thread, I explain everything you need to setup before adding a VM. So, it should only be the actual VM creation itself that needs a guide?

• Now that I've reread this forum, I understand a bit more, as you say your 1st post does give enough information to get going, and if users read the forum then quite a few answers can be found.

I would like to make some suggestions, I don't expect you to change anything just on my whim, thats not how I roll, they are just suggestions and TBH you might already be planning on making them. I mean there are only so many hours in a day to code :)

1.Add an edit option for networks that have already been added, as I might want to change ip range, name etc.

2.A delete or remove button on the main VM tab, next to the add button, I know that it's on the state dropdown, but to me it makes more sense on the main tab.

3.When deleting VM when shutoff, can you add an option to delete VM from storage, I know I can delete from volumes, but to me it makes more sense when deleting especially if you add a delete button on VM tab ?

I'm looking forward to see how this develops.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Add an edit option for networks that have already been added, as I might want to change ip range, name etc.

I might add the edit for the ip range but the name of the network is stored in each of the VM's xml by name. Until then, you could delete the network, add a new one, and then change each VM to use the new one.

.A delete or remove button on the main VM tab, next to the add button, I know that it's on the state dropdown, but to me it makes more sense on the main tab.

I know it normally makes more sense to put it there but I wanted to obscure the delete button so it isn't done accidentally.

When deleting VM when shutoff, can you add an option to delete VM from storage, I know I can delete from volumes, but to me it makes more sense when deleting especially if you add a delete button on VM tab ?

That is in the plans.

I'm looking forward to see how this develops.

Good : ) Let me know if you think of anything else.

Working on adding support for other architectures right now. That is something I can't do on proxmox. For me, it would be nice to be able to have arm and aarch64 VMs for testing.

• Hi ryecoaaron

Do you a time estimate for the HowTo's ?

I'm having problems creating a VM, creating a NoVnc container and getting the Network to start.

The Novnc doesn't work for me everytime either, but not been able to reproduce it reliably yet, to see if it's me or code.

What I did yesterday was use Remmina and connected to the ip of your OMV box and port 5900 and it worked very well

Yeah, I've got to look at the network thing, I've tried a few, but stuck with the default, but not gone further than creating a VM.

I've got to look at the network stuff, as I want to try the VMs on my network or VLAN.

• Yeah, I've got to look at the network thing, I've tried a few, but stuck with the default, but not gone further than creating a VM.

I've got to look at the network stuff, as I want to try the VMs on my network or VLAN.

i created the brigde network and the VM is accessible in my network:

when you assigning the NW to the VM, you have to reboot the VM, at least that helped me

omv 6.0 in proxmox 7.1-10 - AMD Ryzen 1700 - 48GB DDR4 :thumbup:

• i created the brigde network and the VM is accessible in my network:

when you assigning the NW to the VM, you have to reboot the VM, at least that helped me

Funnily enough, I have a bridged network setup, just not tried it yet, but thanks for the tip.

Do you know if you have more than 1 network active whether you just choose which network you want to use?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you a time estimate for the HowTo's ?

Nope. I'm not the best at writing noob howtos either. Did you read the first post in this thread? I don't consider the plugin stable yet and definitely need to improve the error messages. Until I have that stuff done, I'm not starting any how to stuff.

I'm having problems creating a VM, creating a NoVnc container and getting the Network to start.

So basically everything. Hard to say why something isn't working without any details.

The Novnc doesn't work for me everytime either, but not been able to reproduce it reliably yet, to see if it's me or code.

What does this mean? The container doesn't start or you can't connect to the VM? Using noVNC isn't the only way to connect to the VM. Any vnc viewer can connect to the VM using the vnc port. If that isn't working either, than it must be something with the created VM or your system is failing to pull the image.

Yeah, I've got to look at the network thing, I've tried a few, but stuck with the default, but not gone further than creating a VM.

Do yourself a favor and create a macvtap network.

Do you know if you have more than 1 network active whether you just choose which network you want to use?

You can have lots of networks active. And choose when? You can choose any active network when creating a vm. If you want to change the network of a VM, power it down, remove the network from the VM, and then add the one you want.

• When starting vm state shows paused, but using remminia the OS is installing, it still shows paused.

After refreshing page, which of course means leaving the page, and I then come back to KVM page, it shows running

• Offizieller Beitrag

you mean in VM? if you have 2, i think it should use both.

Nope. A VM network adapter only connects to one network. If you add more than one network adapter (yes, it is possible), you can connect to more than one network.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!