New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• ryecoaaron Haven't tested it out just yet, but there's one more change I'd like to request. For x86 - can we make q35 the default machine type, and ehci, or better yet, qemu-xhci the default usb controller? As it stands now, i440fx is the default machine type, and piix3-uhci the usb controller. The first one is usefull for people who want to dabble in pci-passthrough (a niche, i know), and the other one will prohibit usb2/3 passthrough from working. Both changes have no downsides as far as I know

• Also what's disappointing is that libvirt zfs drivers cannot use datasets as a root for a pool, it needs to be directly at the root. It will allow you to create one like that, but won't see any images under it. Seems it's a limitation of the libvirt driver, and not your plugin.

ryecoaaron I took it for a spin. The one issue I have is that those fields are not required, and what's more they seem to need to be unique to each pool. I can put in garbage and it works, but every driver needs a different set of these it seems?

• 4majkl i am running OMV5 I only had virtualization in the BIOs of my machine I turned that on and then installed the test repo and it worked great

does it depend on mobo if it is showing virt on/off or is problem on CPU? i have G3420 intel on H81M-P33 MoBo... thanks...

• ryecoaaron after a bit of advice. I had a drive fail today, see following quote.

Would a fresh install of OMV5 be a good idea as I'm having network trouble running noVNC ?

And if that is the case how can I get the VM.qcow2 off a read only file system?

Or are these questions to much for this thread?

• To those who can't get the novnc docker to connect. Try using only ip addresses. Not hostnames. That helped me. If you are using Portainer for your dockers you can edit the novnc docker to match the ip address of your server instead of the hostname. The environment variable in the novnc docker. And then when using the link from the plugin change the hostname in the url to the ip. Something odd is going on with using the hostname.

• I installed the new plugin and since my VMs were nicely showing up in it, I went ahead and uninstalled cockpit as I was unable to access it anyway (don't know what happened but I kept getting a NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID error (Safari would exit/crash immediately, but Edge at least showed me the error) and no reboot and no update would help).

What I didn't expect, though, was that uninstalling cockpit would also remove KVM, rendering the KVM plugin non-functional... So I reinstalled the new plugin and my machines reappeared on the list, but I'm not able to start them. Clicking on State -> Start will very briefly flash up a "Loading ..." modal and that's it. Nothing happens. The VM will not start.

Update: Since the VMs were set to auto-start, I got them to start by restarting the server. Since then, I am also able to start and stop them via the KVM plugin tab.

One thing I noticed, though: the tab doesn't refresh/update automatically when a machine changes state. It would be great if it could do that, at least when the change of state was initiated in that tab.

• does it depend on mobo if it is showing virt on/off or is problem on CPU? i have G3420 intel on H81M-P33 MoBo... thanks...

From my understanding as long as Virtulization is activated in the BIOS of the mobo then it should work, but i could be wrong. I would check any manuals you can find for your mobo online.

As for me as i am running a Dell Optiplex 970 my virtulizaton was already on so when i installed the KVM plugin everything worked.

Have you tried installing cockpit and then setting up a VM in there?

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• not yet... please do you have some walktrought/how to? it looks, i am byd searcher and cand find it :(

thanks a lot ;)

Sure thing I will try my best, maybe next weekend though

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• Offizieller Beitrag

For x86 - can we make q35 the default machine type

I used i440fx because that is the proxmox default. I will look at it.

ehci, or better yet, qemu-xhci the default usb controller?

I will look at this. I thought I used the default that virt-manager used. Maybe I will add an advanced checkbox on the new VM form that will allow a few more things to be changed the most people won't change. My goal is still to keep it simple though and why I added the edit xml button.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The one issue I have is that those fields are not required, and what's more they seem to need to be unique to each pool. I can put in garbage and it works, but every driver needs a different set of these it seems?

I guess I got it wrong. It seemed from the docs that zfs did need these. I guess I will need zfs on a test system.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

But the state of the VM won't change after shutting down the vm. Is there something more required inside of the VM?

You need to install qemu agent.

• Offizieller Beitrag

To those who can't get the novnc docker to connect. Try using only ip addresses. Not hostnames. That helped me. If you are using Portainer for your dockers you can edit the novnc docker to match the ip address of your server instead of the hostname. The environment variable in the novnc docker. And then when using the link from the plugin change the hostname in the url to the ip. Something odd is going on with using the hostname.

If you need to use static IPs, there is something going on with the dns on your network. The plugin can't fix that. Working dns is needed for the container to connect to the vnc port.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What I didn't expect, though, was that uninstalling cockpit would also remove KVM, rendering the KVM plugin non-functional... So I reinstalled the new plugin and my machines reappeared on the list, but I'm not able to start them. Clicking on State -> Start will very briefly flash up a "Loading ..." modal and that's it. Nothing happens. The VM will not start.

Cockpit and the plugin both use libvirt. Because of the way omv-extras removes cockpit, it will do bad things to the plugin (as you found). Once the plugin is stabilized, I might remove cockpit from omv-extras.

One thing I noticed, though: the tab doesn't refresh/update automatically when a machine changes state. It would be great if it could do that, at least when the change of state was initiated in that tab.

RE: New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do i import an existing VM ?

Depends on how the VM was created. If you wouldn't have removed cockpit (not sure why people keep doing that - cockpit and plugin both use libvirt), it would just showup in the plugin. Otherwise, you will have to see if the xml file for the VM still exists /etc/libvirt/qemu. Then you can add using the Advanced -> Add XML option in the plugin. You could also just recreate the VM and add the existing disk (assuming you have the pool created in the same place).

I had one running on cockpit and i decided to remove cockpit and install KVM

Why did you remove cockpit?

I am not sure how i cam import that VM

The disk is the important part. So, hopefully, that wasn't deleted.

• Offizieller Beitrag

5.0.13 is in the testing repo now. It adds:

• Add bridge option for network adapter
    • Improve VM delete
    • Add advanced checkbox to new VM form
    • Add chipset selection to new VM form
    • Add USB passthrough forms
    • Enable auto-reload of grids

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!