New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• Offizieller Beitrag

there is a difference between virtio/bridge and bridge?

I knew this was going to cause problems...........

Tell me first why you think you need a bridge? That may help me understand a few things.

But yes, in kvm, there is a type of network adapter called a bridge. It uses a bridge on the host system. Confusing I know. All the other adapters don't require a bridge on the host. So, unless you need a bridge adapter, don't use it.

More info - https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#bridge-to-lan

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Tell me first why you think you need a bridge? That may help me understand a few things.

im using the virtio/birdge (created by Macvtap), and the VM is visible and accessible in my local network.

for that im asking what's the difference. Or maybe proper usage of those two types of bridge.

omv 6.0 in proxmox 7.1-10 - AMD Ryzen 1700 - 48GB DDR4 :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

The bridge network adapter is used when you want the VM to talk directly to the host (not over the physical network). This seems like a rare situation to me (doesn't exist in the VMware world). And if a bridge network (br0) isn't needed on the host, it makes life easier in the OMV world.

So, just because something is available doesn't mean you need it or you are doing something wrong currently. If you setup is working, don't change it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• The bridge network adapter is used when you want the VM to talk directly to the host (not over the physical network).

cool, thank you for clarification :) ... in future I can plan migration from proxmox to omv virtualization

omv 6.0 in proxmox 7.1-10 - AMD Ryzen 1700 - 48GB DDR4 :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

in future I can plan migration from proxmox to omv virtualization

I am doing the same. Just need to do some more testing and figure out how to get the outage approved :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

and figure out how to get the outage approved

From past experience in dealing with another network center's BS, if you make the process sound as complicated as possible, provide a overview plan for management to look at and schedule a lot of down time (even if it's not needed), they'll probably approve it. Wait... That works for government. In private industry, that might not fly.

• Offizieller Beitrag

From past experience in dealing with another network center's BS, if you make the process sound as complicated as possible, provide a overview plan for management to look at and schedule a lot of down time (even if it's not needed), they'll probably approve it. Wait... That works for government. In private industry, that might not fly.

This is much worse. I am talking about getting Wife and Kids approval lol

• This seems like a rare situation to me (doesn't exist in the VMware world)

This is because there are no services running on esxi, but this assumption is not true for omv. My usecase for example? Running kubernetes workers, with storage being shared out of OMV itself, either via nfs or iscsi. So not exactly that rare

Also I'd say that it's macvtap that's confusing and not bridge. With bridge it's easy - you create a virtual network switch inside of your system, with infinite ports, and one of those ports is connected to your interface (or more if you so desire), acting like a trunk port. Super easy. Macvtap on the other hand doesn't behave like this, instead leeching off of the upstream interface. I understand that people that "just want my VM to have internet" prefer macvtap, but to go around to the vmware argument - VMware desktop/fusion works exactly like this, creating a bridge on the host OS, it's just that with linux you need to create that bridge by yourself beforehand, which tbh is about 4 clicks in OMV

That said, about the new version:
    - The ZFS stuff is now working perfectly, thanks for that!
    - Much better UI design overall
    - While the bridge option is there, it is not functional, doesn't see my br0 device, even though br0 is very much there
    - USB is looking great, but seems confused when trying to remove a device - for the one VM that has a device connected, it's showing the root port instead of the actual device(?). It doesn't really match the actual state of the machine. Also a nitpick - the UI shows all usb devices, regardless if they're already connected to a VM or not, so it is possible to try to connect one USB device to two VMs at the same time, which will fail. Not sure if it's fesible to fix that, as it would require to read the state of all VMs, but I'm just pointing this out

• Offizieller Beitrag

While the bridge option is there, it is not functional, doesn't see my br0 device, even though br0 is very much there

The plugin gets the list of bridges from the following command. Can you post your output of that command? If it is nothing, drop the grep. ls /sys/class/net | grep ^br

My usecase for example? Running kubernetes workers, with storage being shared out of OMV itself, either via nfs or iscsi. So not exactly that rare

I would call that rare in the OMV world not KVM world. That is fine. The feature is added. It will just need documentation for people who are very used to having to add a bridge but don't really need it.

USB is looking great, but seems confused when trying to remove a device - for the one VM that has a device connected, it's showing the root port instead of the actual device(?). It doesn't really match the actual state of the machine

Your hostdev xml is not what the plugin is expecting. It needs the vendor and product IDs to be listed. Here is an example of what it is expecting (and what it would add):

• It needs the vendor and product IDs to be listed.

Just to note, this is naive, as there are 2 ways of attaching usb via libvirt - product/vendor id and device id. I'm using the second one for special reasons (I wanted for a device to be hot-added only on a specific USB port in the system - very much an edge case, done with udev rules, so no need to worry about it)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just to note, this is naive, as there are 2 ways of attaching usb via libvirt - product/vendor id and device id. I'm using the second one for special reasons (I wanted for a device to be hot-added only on a specific USB port in the system - very much an edge case, done with udev rules, so no need to worry about it)

Well, I will have to look into this. USB passthrough is something I have never used (especially in VMware) and is a pain in the ass for me to test. I really didn't want the plugin full of edge cases. So, if it is easy to add, I will. Please remember my goal of the plugin being easy to use.

• Oh you can absolutely ignore the device id way of plugging in. I rather posted this with the thought of someone searching for a more sophisticated way of doing it. I'd be different if libvirt supported attaching devices in accordance with specific bus/port addresses, but they don't. A patch was posted their way around 2017 and they ignored it

• Offizieller Beitrag

quadrant# ls /sys/class/net | grep ^br

br-eea06ba520b2

br0

This is fixed in 5.0.14 (dyslexia strikes again) in the repo now.

Oh you can absolutely ignore the device id way of plugging in. I rather posted this with the thought of someone searching for a more sophisticated way of doing it. I'd be different if libvirt supported attaching devices in accordance with specific bus/port addresses, but they don't. A patch was posted their way around 2017 and they ignored it

I don't mind looking into it if it is easy to add and doesn't complicate the UI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

noticed it's still a 440fx machine with piix3-uchi

It shouldn't be if you enable advanced options and pick q35 chipset. Still not ready to make q35 the default.

• Am I missing something or did we change from KVM to QEMU TCG somewhere?

When I try to use the new plugin now and create a new VM and try to install Windows 10 I see the Windows 10 logo at boot and the circle spinning and then just black screen.

When I try the efi then I just see the TianoCore and the spinning circle and there it just keeps spinning.

Why are we not using KVM?

Edit: Just in case you wan't to know then my cpu is a Xeon E3-1225

Edit2: Sorry about all the edits but I just looked at some of you code and was just wondering what you are trying to achieve with this:

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…/engined/rpc/kvm.inc#L651

A other info are if you are running on the Proxmox kernel it name is "Linux 5.4.103-1-pve"

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!