New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm still unable to connect via noVNC,

I went ahead and released 5.0.16 that uses the host's IP address instead of the hostname. Let me know if it works now.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The container itself has to be able to resolve the OMV host's name. If you are using 1.1.1.1, that will not know the ip address for your hostname. Can you try changing your OMV system's dns server to your router?

Found what was blocking noVNC, can't Force Secure connection only on OMV (System, General Settings, Enable SSL/TLS true, Force SSL/TLS true)

Having just Enable SSL/TLS true, works ok, although it slows connection time and may not connect on 1st attempt.

Once that was solved I done some tests with DNS settings, I found noVNC would still connect via hostname.local with any DNS server ip, tried router-dns-server ip and cloudflares 1.1.1.1, still worked.

Although that may be from your recent changes to use "the host's IP address instead of the hostname"

Can I ask for 1 feature request?

Could "?resize=remote&&autoconnect=1" be added to the containers connection string?

Complete string would be like http://hostname.local:8081/vnc…ize=remote&&autoconnect=1

Many many thanks for the great plugin and the fast responses.

PS Just tested connecting via VMC-Viewer and noVNC on pc's at the same time, all 3 can connect at the same time, this is handy for me as I do forget to close things, ole fella syndrome...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could "?resize=remote&&autoconnect=1" be added to the containers connection string?

Yep, I have no issues with that. I actually didn't know about the url parameters. Thanks for the tip.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• It is fine if the /etc/hosts file has the right value in it. :)

Mine did not.

# This file is auto-generated by openmediavault (https://www.openmediavault.org)

# WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will get lost.

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

127.0.1.1 ????

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts.

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

fe00::0 ip6-localnet

ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix

ff02::1 ip6-allnodes

ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

192.168.???.??? ????.local ????

Copy of my omv hosts file

omv placed the real ip record on the last line

• Feature requests @ryecoaaron

Would it possible to store the Spice, VNC & noVNC port numbers with each vm?

This would allow the AutoStart feature to be complete.

Done a reboot of server test yesterday, the 1 gap in it all is the noVNC docker container is not running.

The container Restart policies may have to be changed to "Unless Stopped", "Always" or "On Failure", the "Unless Stopped" option would be flexible for me.

Fingers crossed this is not outside the scope of the KVM plugin.

Option to turn auto refresh on or off

I have found Auto refresh makes a selection from combobox list a task that needs to be done to quickly, I like to read through the available options before making a selection, but the auto refresh keeps closing the list on me.

• Sorry my bad just figured out why mine did not have the right values.

It was because I haven't sat any static ip on my OMV. I was running with the default DHCP ip given by the router when I installed OMV. My file now looks like this after I setup static ip:

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is fine if the /etc/hosts file has the right value in it. :)

Mine did not.

That doesn't make sense. If it is using IP address, dns and /etc/hosts shouldn't matter. My test systems don't have non-localhost entries in /etc/hosts.

Would it possible to store the Spice, VNC & noVNC port numbers with each vm?

This would allow the AutoStart feature to be complete.

Done a reboot of server test yesterday, the 1 gap in it all is the noVNC docker container is not running.

The container Restart policies may have to be changed to "Unless Stopped", "Always" or "On Failure", the "Unless Stopped" option would be flexible for me.

Fingers crossed this is not outside the scope of the KVM plugin.

It is possible but a major pain in the ass. Right now, I let libvirt determine the port numbers. noVNC wasn't meant to be the always on thing. It was really just for setup. Once the OS is setup, connecting directly to the OS is a much better way of doing things.

Option to turn auto refresh on or off

I have found Auto refresh makes a selection from combobox list a task that needs to be done to quickly, I like to read through the available options before making a selection, but the auto refresh keeps closing the list on me.

That shouldn't happen anymore. I did release a version with that issue but it should be fixed. For the reasons you listed are why I had it disabled for so long. I thought it was working well and I enabled it. Have you clear your browser cache or hit ctrl-shift-R? And no, there really isn't a way to make the auto-refresh optional. At least not without code that won't be portable to OMV6.

It was because I haven't sat any static ip on my OMV. I was running with the default DHCP ip given by the router when I installed OMV. My file now looks like this after I setup static ip:

One of my test systems is dhcp and it works fine without any /etc/hosts additions. That is why i thought swtching to IP address would fix the dns issues. Having to fix /etc/hosts should only help with dns issues.

• That is why i thought swtching to IP address would fix the dns issues.

It fixed it for me I think. I just had to set static ip on my OMV so the hosts file would be generated with the right values.

Before when my file looked like this the docker that was created used the 127.0.1.1 ip as remote host variable and that did not work for me:

But after I setup my OMV ip to static ip and it look like this: :

The docker that was made now did use the 192.168.2.164 ip and that worked.

• I have now double issue....

I make running VM from cocpit of OMV, and run the OMV just fine, except one thing.. dont know, how to make it in same range as other machines in my house.... i am running on 192.168.1.X and created pool on VM is default running on 192.168.122.X and dont know, how to make it bridged like i have it bridget on oracle VM virtualbox, where it works absolutely fine on testing machines to have them all in same pool like pluged it in the same main switch in the house.....

second thing is, that i am not able to install and run correctly in docker "pihole" because of port 53 to make it working like DNS server for mikrotik which have DHCP server on it to make whole house AD-free...

i suppose that this should be double problem, which should be solvable with one solution... could you please help me with that?

(on testing VM with OMV pihole works, but there is different cockpit version and dont know why/how and if this is the problem or not... thanks)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I make running VM from cocpit of OMV, and run the OMV just fine, except one thing.. dont know, how to make it in same range as other machines in my house.... i am running on 192.168.1.X and created pool on VM is default running on 192.168.122.X and dont know, how to make it bridged like i have it bridget on oracle VM virtualbox, where it works absolutely fine on testing machines to have them all in same pool like pluged it in the same main switch in the house.....

Need more info on the VM's setup. If you use macvtap, then the machine would be on the same network as the host which I think works even better than the bridged setup that virtualbox uses.

second thing is, that i am not able to install and run correctly in docker "pihole" because of port 53 to make it working like DNS server for mikrotik which have DHCP server on it to make whole house AD-free...

Please start a different thread about this since it isn't about kvm. You could run pihole in a VM though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

is it safe for me to add the package libguestfs-tools to OMV?

I don't see why it would hurt anything.

• I was using this plugin to run Windows VMs and figured out that when using the "virt viewer" the auto resizing the screen did not work. But I figured out why.

It was because the VM was missing something called "Channel spice" it is a device in the VM. The xml code looks like this:

Code
        <channel type='spicevmc'>
          <target type='virtio' name='com.redhat.spice.0'/>
          <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
        </channel>

Would it maybe be a thing you could add?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von henkall () aus folgendem Grund: code was from a running example and looked different when not turned on

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would it maybe be a thing you could add?

Yep. 5.0.17 is in the repo.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did the option to add a Sound Card to a VM get added or dropped from the KVM plugin?

It is still there. You have to enable the "Show advanced options" checkbox to see the Audio checkbox.

• Show advanced options

Thanks ryecoaaron

I can't believe I have over looked that for so long, doh, note to self again, read the b#%@#&* screen.

Is the way of adding a sound card to an existing VM via creating a new VM (with Audio On) and attaching the existing VM storage volume ?

Or can it be added via the Edit XML method ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the way of adding a sound card to an existing VM via creating a new VM (with Audio On) and attaching the existing VM storage volume ?

Or can it be added via the Edit XML method ?

Either option would work.

• Hi,

Random question let's say I have 2 PCI Nic cards is there away to assign then to a VM?

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!