New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• This is a limitation of macvtap. You need to setup a bridge. There are few posts about that in this thread.

This could be your server or storage or how you are connecting. The consoles provided by the plugin are only meant to use for setup. You should use the native RDP server on Win 7 (which is EOL by the way).

I did it on the advice. Delete the interface in the GUI without clicking apply, added the BRIDGE, and all the other default settings(DHCP for the interface, etc.), then clicked apply and lost the connection. I had to physically go to the server and restore the network interface through omv-firstaid

OMV 6.
    Motherboard: Intel DP55WG
    CPU: Intel Xeon X3470
    12GB DDR3 RAM
    WD Black WD5000LPSX - system
    WD Blue 4GB x4 - RAID 10
    500GB SSD x2 - RAID 1 for VM's and Docker containers

• Hello, I need help getting the virtual machine to communicate with the host :-))

My use case is this: I run HomeAssistant as a VM using KVM and I simply need it to access both the OMV server and OMV samba shares.

I've read this topis and this is what I've done:

1. created a bridge in OMV interface using eno2 (my server has 2 NICs so I was able to do that)

2. created a new VM and in network I chose "bridge" and br0

unfortunately, when the VM starts, it has no IP (I see this in the console) - although the OMV server is connected also through eno2 (I see this in the router)

please help, I've already spent a full day trying to understand what is going on before finally reading here that VM does not see the host if using the macvtap bridge

and it's really important for me to have the VM see the OMV server

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello, I need help getting the virtual machine to communicate with the host :-))

One way to do this is to add another network interface to the VM. The VM would have two network interfaces. With the default interface the VM sees the host. With the macvtap interface the VM has an IP on your local network.

Maybe there is an easier way to do it, I only know this one.

• chente

thanks for the reply, I tried that but it did not work - the VM gets an ip in the range 192.168.122.X and I cannot access it - I need it to be 192.168.0.XX

but indeed, from the console I can now ping the OMV server and it replies; also the router replies, but I do not know how to access the VM

these are the KVM networks - as you can see the default network is configured with DHCP, probably that's the problem

• Offizieller Beitrag

thanks for the reply, I tried that but it did not work - the VM gets an ip in the range 192.168.122.X and I cannot access it - I need it to be 192.168.0.XX

I do not know homeassistant and I do not know how to configure the network in this system.

The point is that this has worked for me in an Ubuntu VM. I leave the default interface as is (in DHCP). Through this interface an IP in range 122 is assigned to the VM. And this network is used to see the host (and the shared resources of the host).

The bridge interface must be configured within the VM to request a fixed IP from your DHCP server (usually your router). This way you will also have access to the rest of the local network, and you will be able to access your VM from the local network.

It is similar to having two separate "network cables" on the VM.

• Hi,

Currently testing this add on and I have an issue creating a Ubuntu 18.04 VM. Using the standard options, it fails to load, when checking the system log, I get the following error

libvirtd[650]: invalid argument: could not find capabilities for arch=x86_64 domaintype=kvm

I have tried looking around the forum, but couldn't locate anything.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

libvirtd[650]: invalid argument: could not find capabilities for arch=x86_64 domaintype=kvm

does your CPU support virtualization? And did you activate it in your BIOS?

• Offizieller Beitrag

when a VM is set to autoboot with host, then the allocated VNC port is 5900. This get a conflict with a docker container i have running. Can the VNC start port range be modified somewhere?

libvirt should pick a port that isn't in use since the plugin is set to auto choose the port. You can always change the xml to force a specific port.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• libvirt should pick a port that isn't in use since the plugin is set to auto choose the port.

i guess this has to do with the start priority. If libvirt starts before docker, the port is available. then docker has an access problem afterwards. So, if there is no libvirt, start at 590x port value, the xml edit way semms the only one useful.

BTW: even though the KVM plugin has a "edit XML" option. Editing isn't really possible. difficult to describe but just impossible. Needed to go the virsh edit route.

• does your CPU support virtualization? And did you activate it in your BIOS?

Surprisingly, That was the issue.

I say surprisingly, as I was running VMWARE before OMV and didn't change the settings when installing OMV. I was able to run VM's on Cockpit as well. So not sure why it was disabled or worked on other software. Anyways good catch!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Surprisingly, That was the issue.

I say surprisingly, as I was running VMWARE before OMV and didn't change the settings when installing OMV. I was able to run VM's on Cockpit as well. So not sure why it was disabled or worked on other software. Anyways good catch!

I am no expert, I just googled the error ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I say surprisingly, as I was running VMWARE before OMV and didn't change the settings when installing OMV. I was able to run VM's on Cockpit as well. So not sure why it was disabled or worked on other software

The plugin does make the assumption that virtualization is enabled. Otherwise you are using slow qemu. But just remember that the plugin and cockpit both use libvirt. VMware is completely different but you really would want it enabled there too.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi!Tell me, did you manage to solve the problem so that the host could see the virtual machines and vice versa?Since I haven't managed to do it yet

OMV 6.
    12GB DDR3 RAM
    WD Blue 4GB x4 - RAID 10

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi!Tell me, did you manage to solve the problem so that the host could see the virtual machines and vice versa?Since I haven't managed to do it yet

It's very simple, but I don't think I explain it well. Just add another network interface to the VM from the OMV GUI. In this way the VM will have two network connections. A "default" connection and another bridge connection.

Start the VM and from within the VM configure the connection "bridge" with a fixed IP in the range of your network.

• It's very simple, but I don't think I explain it well. Just add another network interface to the VM from the OMV GUI. In this way the VM will have two network connections. A "default" connection and another bridge connection.

Start the VM and from within the VM configure the connection "bridge" with a fixed IP in the range of your network.

Now my VM's works through macvtap-bridge and i have this adapter. so, i need to add default adapter?

OMV 6.
    12GB DDR3 RAM
    WD Blue 4GB x4 - RAID 10

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now my VM's works through macvtap-bridge and i have this adapter. so, i need to add default adapter?

Yes, both adapters at the same time. Default and bridge.

• Hi!Tell me, did you manage to solve the problem so that the host could see the virtual machines and vice versa?Since I haven't managed to do it yet

yes, i did manage to solve it

1. create a bridge network in OMV interface, but give it a STATIC IP - it did not work for me without a static IP (mask = 255.255.255.0, gateway = your router, dns = 8.8.8.8)

you of course need to firts delete the existing eno1 interface, DO NOT HIT SAVE, then create the bridge, and only then hit SAVE

then wait for the OMV machine to reconnet, check the router, if there is already an addres reservation in the router make sure it is the same IP that you configured in the OMV bridge

2. create a new VM and in the network section choose "bridge" then the bridge created in OMV (it will probably be named "br0")
    you cannot attach a bridge to an existing VM because there is no option for that, it can be done only when you first create the VM

and it should work, at least for me it did work

regarding chente solution, it did not work for me even if the IP was configured as static within the VM (Home Assistant), but maybe it works for you

• Thanks! Ie, in the OMV interface, when creating a bridge, specify the same IP that is issued by the router, only specify the IP in the interface not DHCP? For example, for OMV, the Ip router turned out to be 192.168.88.5, I specified it on the router as a static constant for this device.It turns out that I will write this address in the bridge in the OMV interface? I will be happy if it works! In the evening I will check and write about the result.

OMV 6.
    12GB DDR3 RAM
    WD Blue 4GB x4 - RAID 10

• yes, you need to put a STATIC IP in the OMV interface (and mask and gateway etc)

if you already have an IP reservation in the router, then it needs to be the same IP, otherwise the OMV machine will request an IP but the router reserved another IP so they might not understand each other

alternatively, you can delete the IP reservation from the router, but in my experience it is better to leave it also there so that the router does not assign it to some other device when OMV is shutdown or disconnected.

this is how I have it in OMV - 192.168.1.14 is the IP of the OMV machine and it is also reserved in the router

PS don't forget to also put DNS 8.8.8.8 in the OMV bridge; this is not required for the VM, but it avoids some issues on the OMV side in general (i.e. radarr/sonarr sometimes do not work without this)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!