New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• Hi crashtest - and the last line of that article is "Your virtual machine can now boot from the physical drive associated with the VMDK file." - I don't want to change the boot drive - I just want to access a physical hard disk for data storage .. that seems to be impossible ..

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since it's windows based, I've only attempted to use VB for testing purposes. I've never actually tried to run a "working VM" from it.

To keep the topic of this thread on the KVM plugin, please post RE. VB in another thread. (Thanks)

• Offizieller Beitrag

that, i wouldn't say, even though there is a menu for it. It's just not usable. Cursor focus, scrolling, editing, saving. It's not usable

Not much I can do about focus or scrolling. It seems to be an extjs issue. Editing and saving work fine for me. While I have made edits before, I usually copy the whole thing to another editor and paste the changes back in. Or just use virt-manager. That said, the editing is much better in OMV 6.x.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• i followed your instructions but the vm is not assigned any ip, what can i check?

• I am looking for a step by step guide to create & manage win10 with KVMPlugin.

KVM does not see the target drive. (same problem in cockpit)

I do not have a step by step guide but I can tell you that you just need to mount the virt iso and get the drivers from there. On omv5 the is a button in the plugin where you can download the iso to the selected pool. Then you just have to add it to your windows VM as an optical drive. Then you can click the treiber lades button in your installation. Then browse to the optical drive and let it find the driver.

• thx

virtio-win is mounted but does not find the drivers automatically.

Which driver from the virtio.iso should you choose?

I believe it is the folder is called iostore. Down in the bottom. You maybe have to go choose w10 folder and amd64. Something like that. I am sorry for my not so precise answer. I am answering out from my memory ☺️.

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-extras plugins - porting progress to OMV 6.x

• Offizieller Beitrag

And couldn't see openmediavault-kvm for shaitan(-testing|-beta) yet. Wondering if this plugin is coming to OMV 6.x?

It is very close. It is a huge plugin though. I actually just upgraded my main server to OMV 6.x that runs many VMs. It is helping me find more issues.

• Offizieller Beitrag

do i need another bridge as described in this link?

You have to change the host to use a bridge. Then you choose the bridge connection for the VM. There are a few posts about this.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I am new to KVM and OMV and I am a bit at loss with the terminology and order of operations.

can someone please help me with the steps of creating one? this is what I did:

i created on the raid two dirs, install_images and VMs

I created two pools, mapped to these directories

I used the "download" button while selecting the install images and put in https://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org…tandard-3.15.0-x86_64.iso - this worked well and the image was loaded

I created a volume, 16GB in size, in the VMs direcotry

went back to the VMs tab, added a new vm but it would not start. nothing happens when i press the state->start

this is the resulting xml:

• Offizieller Beitrag

can someone please help me with the steps of creating one?

Take a look at this. Maybe it will help you.

[How-To] Use the Openmediavault-KVM plugin

Check the permissions of the created folders. They may not be the right ones.

• Thank you! I was so close, just missing the network.

Two improvements that can be done...

1. A link to this guide in the firs message in the thread. I am sure it is mentioned somewhere but its 27 pages now.

2. Perhaps an error message is something like network does not exists.

Anyways, I am very happy, Thank you again

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just made a summary of the guide in the link itself, although without images. I hope it is better understood, it is more summarized.

Regarding the network, look at the differences between default and macvtap. Is there any way to achieve a connection with access to the host and with IP within your LAN. It is somewhere in this long thread ... :/

• Offizieller Beitrag

but it would not start. nothing happens when i press the state->start

There is a log viewer in Diagnostics that might have told you this.

Perhaps an error message is something like network does not exists.

If libvirt does not return an error, the plugin can't tell you an error message. You can always try to start from the command line with: sudo virsh start <VMNAME> to see if it gives you an error as well. I will look at the starting a bit more.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!