New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, when I start the vm the console starts automatically and assigns the ports automatically.

I thought this was a new feature built into the kvm plugin.

You are confusing the ports. The autoports are the VM's ports that vnc and spice listen on (in the 5xxx range). The ports you are having a problem with are the novnc and spice5html ports that the web console runs on (8xxx range). The web console ports are the ports you pick.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't get to pick those anymore, they are being auto assigned, for some reason.

ctrl-shift-R. The consoles can't be started without prompting you. Are you on OMV 5.x or 6.x?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Are you on OMV 5.x or 6.x?

omv 5.6.26-1 64 bit | omvextrasorg 5.6.6 | kvm 5.1.7

ctrl-shift-R

Done that again, no change. This server has been restarted few times, plus login's and logout's.

The consoles can't be started without prompting you.

No, I don't get prompted when starting a console/vm.

Ports are automatically assigned. <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' listen='0.0.0.0'>

I thought this was a new feature that had been added to the kvm plugin.

Is autoport='yes' what automatically assigns the port? Or is that for something else?

Or maybe I some corruption somewhere?

• Tell me, is it worth waiting for the appearance of the video card forwarding functionality in the KVM plugin? I think this is a very important function, because it is impossible to fully work on Windows guests without a video accelerator. Solid flour.

OMV 6.
    Motherboard: Intel DP55WG
    CPU: Intel Xeon X3470
    12GB DDR3 RAM
    WD Black WD5000LPSX - system
    WD Blue 4GB x4 - RAID 10
    500GB SSD x2 - RAID 1 for VM's and Docker containers

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, I don't get prompted when starting a console/vm.

Ports are automatically assigned. <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' listen='0.0.0.0'>

You should unless the VM doesn't have a vnc port over 1024 - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…n/service/kvm/Vms.js#L785 What is the value in the vnc port column? If you enabled the noVNC port column, what is the value there?

And no, the noVNC port I am referring to does not get auto-assigned. You must enter it. vnc has two ports - one for vnc and one for novnc. spice has two ports - one for spice and one for spice5html.

I thought this was a new feature that had been added to the kvm plugin.

I haven't add anything to the 5.x version of the plugin in six months.

Is autoport='yes' what automatically assigns the port? Or is that for something else?

Or maybe I some corruption somewhere?

autoport=yes is the part where kvm determines the vnc (or spice) port when the VM is running. That is the value in the VNC port column. But to start a viewer/console, it has to open another port that is different than the autoport and is not auto determined.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Tell me, is it worth waiting for the appearance of the video card forwarding functionality in the KVM plugin? I think this is a very important function, because it is impossible to fully work on Windows guests without a video accelerator.

Why do you have to wait? You can use virt-manager or edit the xml or the command line to do this. And I have been using Windows in a KVM vm for years without passing the video card through.

• Why do you have to wait? You can use virt-manager or edit the xml or the command line to do this. And I have been using Windows in a KVM vm for years without passing the video card through.

Hm, graphic interface slows down without video, and i cant see fhd viceo, GUI WIn works very slow without passthrough

OMV 6.
    Motherboard: Intel DP55WG
    CPU: Intel Xeon X3470
    12GB DDR3 RAM
    WD Black WD5000LPSX - system
    WD Blue 4GB x4 - RAID 10
    500GB SSD x2 - RAID 1 for VM's and Docker containers

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hm, graphic interface slows down without video, and i cant see fhd viceo, GUI WIn works very slow without passthrough

I know why you want video passthrough. I was asking why do you have to wait for the plugin to support it. Because the plugin uses libvirt, it will recognize changes made by any other libvirt tool like virt-manager, virsh, editing xml, etc. So, just fine a libvirt gpu passthrough tutorial and follow it.

• Hello,

yesterday I thought I'd try the backup button in KVM Plugin 6.1.12. Unfortunately it did not work and I do not agree with the errors OMV is giving me .

Output is in the spoiler:

The paths and the files are existing.

Just noticed that the "Domain directory" for this specific VM in /var/lib/libvirt/qemu is missing. Can I create one manually (what would be the name?) or what would be the best way to fix this? Cloning is also no longer working for this VM.

Any idea is welcome.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your disks seem to be using a relative path (no leading slash, didn't even know that would work). So, when the backup script changes directories to do the backup, the relative path is no longer valid. You need to fix that. I would guess the pool is using a relative path but I don't know how you did that since the plugin should add a leading slash - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…/engined/rpc/kvm.inc#L491

I would fix the pool (maybe create a new one) and the manually edit the xml of the VM.

• ryecoaaron A couple more question abt the KVM plugin:

1. Had you any thoughts about adding a "sector size" option for RAW disk types? RAW disks default to 512/512 logical/physical in times when 512/4096 or 4096/4096 might be more optimal. Perhaps it's not hat NB, as you can edit a VM's XML.

2. You probably answered this above, but is managing VMs on OMV remotely via virt-manager entirely safe?

3. I don't understand the function of "backup" in the "backup/restore/schedule" options. I can create backups by running a schedule as a one-off, or at timed intervals. I can select individual backups to restore. But the backup option itself list all backups made and I appear able to backup an existing backup (compressed if selected) only to the original path? That doesn't make sense to me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Had you any thoughts about adding a "sector size" option for RAW disk types?

Nope. Since they are on top of an existing filesystem (typically), I'm not sure how it would be any more optimal. What if the host is using 512 drives?

You probably answered this above, but is managing VMs on OMV remotely via virt-manager entirely safe?

Yes. I do it a lot.

I don't understand the function of "backup" in the "backup/restore/schedule" options. I can create backups by running a schedule as a one-off, or at timed intervals. I can select individual backups to restore. But the backup option itself list all backups made and I appear able to backup an existing backup (compressed if selected) only to the original path? That doesn't make sense to me.

The backup tab shows actual backups performed and logged in /etc/omv-backup-vm.list. You can delete backups if needed here too. The backup buttons are just there because it was easy and gives you a quick way to run an identical backup to the one selected. Much faster than setting up a scheduled backup especially if you just want a one off backup (I do this when testing). Some people may not need it but I do add some features for me. It is not backing up an existing backup.

The restore tab lists the same backups from the backups tab and allows you to restore that backup to the same or different VM name. It is a separate tab because I can't put a restore button on the backup tab, allow VM name entry, and show output from the restore. The two tabs would be combined if I could.

The schedule tab allows you to schedule backups and run ad hoc backups from that scheduled item.

So, while you can create backups from two tabs, they accomplish the goal in different ways.

• Hello, I have a question about setting up the network on guest machines. I am trying to configure the network so that the guest machines have access to both the omv host and my LAN. I configured the network interface in bridge mode on the omv host, it got the name br0. Next, I configure the bridge interface on the guest machines and select the br0 interface. With this setup, my guest machines see the ip address of the omv host, but do not see my rest of the LAN network. And if I configure macvtap machines that they see the lan network, but do not see the omv host. Tell me what I'm doing wrong? I apologize in advance for my English, I use google translator.

• Hello, I have a question about setting up the network on guest machines. I am trying to configure the network so that the guest machines have access to both the omv host and my LAN. I configured the network interface in bridge mode on the omv host, it got the name br0. Next, I configure the bridge interface on the guest machines and select the br0 interface. With this setup, my guest machines see the ip address of the omv host, but do not see my rest of the LAN network. And if I configure macvtap machines that they see the lan network, but do not see the omv host. Tell me what I'm doing wrong? I apologize in advance for my English, I use google translator.

The question is removed. It was necessary to add "net.ipv4.ip_forward=1" to "/etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf" on the omv host

• Offizieller Beitrag

The question is removed. It was necessary to add "net.ipv4.ip_forward=1" to "/etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf" on the omv host

While that was set on my machines, I guess I could add it to the kvm plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!