New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• create a symlink ?

Well i feel really dense, its easier then i thought it would be

1. Make sure you have a shared folder in my case it is an SMB folder, get the location link from in OMV (Storage > Shared Folders)
    2. Copy the absolute path (hightlight/copy)
    3. Then in Services > KVM > VMs - then click on the VM you want make sure the VM is turned off click on on the passthrough icon
    4. Then click "Add passthrough"
    5. Then in the source line paste in the absolute path from the shared folder, and in the mount tag just give it a name (shorter than 31 characters)
    6. click add
    7. then you should be able to start your VM

That's as far as i got, i cant get into the VM as i have 1 running (stuck in the middle of something) at the moment and if i start a 2nd one i will have problems

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• ryecoaaron can you help please, for some reason when i type into my VM it comes out as US keyboard layout but i set everything to UK keyboard layout, i installed virt manager and checked VNC (UK keyboard) but its still typing using US layout. I'm using Debian 11

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you entering a path for the mount tag?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

can you help please, for some reason when i type into my VM it comes out as US keyboard layout but i set everything to UK keyboard layout, i installed virt manager and checked VNC (UK keyboard) but its still typing using US layout. I'm using Debian 11

I've never changed the keyboard layout.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Are you entering a path for the mount tag?

Yeah it appears copying the absolute path in to both the source and mount tag lines was the mistake i was doing, the mount tag is arbitrary

• I've never changed the keyboard layout.

Neither have i the keyboard default for me is UK Layout but for what ever reason in the VM it keeps typing in US layout

• A question for the brains trust.

I have a vm that won't shutdown or reboot correctly.

I'm hoping the attached screenshot can help someone point me in the right direction to fix this issue.

Or is there some omv / kvm / libvirt logs I could view to trace the problem?

OMV Version 6.0.38-1 (Shaitan)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics

Kernel Linux 5.18.0-0.deb11.4-amd64

openmediavault-kvm 6.1.22

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or is there some omv / kvm / libvirt logs I could view to trace the problem?

That is a guest issue. So there won't be any logs outside of the VM. What distro is it?

• Hey,

When i try and access my OMV server from my VM via SSH it says the host cannot be reached, but when i try and SSH into my VM from my OMV server it works fine. I have tried from another machine to SSH into the OMV server and they work fine and also if i SSH from my VM to another machine it works fine, it just wont SSH into my OMV server.

Its the same for file server the VM cant see my OMV Server but it can see my W10 machine?

• Offizieller Beitrag

When i try and access my OMV server from my VM via SSH it says the host cannot be reached, but when i try and SSH into my VM from my OMV server it works fine. I have tried from another machine to SSH into the OMV server and they work fine and also if i SSH from my VM to another machine it works fine, it just wont SSH into my OMV server.

Its the same for file server the VM cant see my OMV Server but it can see my W10 machine?

Is the VM using macvlan networking? You should use a bridge if you need the bi-directional access.

• So there won't be any logs outside of the VM. What distro is it?

vm Distro = LinuxMint 20.3

Desktop = XFCE

Been looking through the journal log with journal -b -r

But no nothing about kvm exiting hardware virtualization

After several forced shutdowns the vm can now shutdown correctly, don't know what changed to fix that.

But Restart / Reboot still hangs. It''l just have to stay like that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am running a Windows 10 x64 machine, is there any way to have a better mouse sync? The remote mouse and local desktop mouse pointer are way out of sync.....

The remote console is really just meant to setup the OS. After it is setup, you should use native rdp on windows. Installing kvm guest drivers might help with your sync issue in the console though.

• Any luck with AMD GPUs? I have an old 1GB Radeon 7750 installed. It was used for installation so I know it works. It seems radeon may have issues? This is an older one? I tried some guides for intel and Nvidia but of course no luck. I want to run acceleration in KVM as I am sure everyone does. Or I am stuck using the redhat display driver which is not all bad. Just running OMV6 baremetal Intel cpu 12GB ram various drives radon 7750.
    If anyone has links specifically for passthrough AMD gpus, shoot em my way!

OMV Version: 6.9.12-3 (Shaitan) Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.13-amd64 Proxmox VM

Services: MiniDLNA | File Server (streaming and file transfers that's it.)
    System: HP Pavillion 595 | I7-8700 ( 2 vCores) | 2.1 GB Ram | 32GB VM Sys Drv | 5TB USB Media Drive | Jan 24'

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any luck with AMD GPUs? I have an old 1GB Radeon 7750 installed. It was used for installation so I know it works. It seems radeon may have issues? This is an older one? I tried some guides for intel and Nvidia but of course no luck. I want to run acceleration in KVM as I am sure everyone does. Or I am stuck using the redhat display driver which is not all bad. Just running OMV6 baremetal Intel cpu 12GB ram various drives radon 7750.
    If anyone has links specifically for passthrough AMD gpus, shoot em my way!

If your 7750 is the only gpu in the system (including mainboard), you can't pass it through to a VM. If it is not the only GPU, then it doesn't matter who makes. It is just a pci device. Since the plugin doesn't have pci device passthrough, you will have to do this manually. So, any libvirt guide on the internet for passing a video device though should help.

• Zitat

If your 7750 is the only gpu in the system (including mainboard), you can't pass it through to a VM. If it is not the only GPU, then it doesn't matter who makes. It is just a pci device. Since the plugin doesn't have pci device passthrough, you will have to do this manually. So, any libvirt guide on the internet for passing a video device though should help.

Thank you for this!

OMV Version: 6.9.12-3 (Shaitan) Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.13-amd64 Proxmox VM

Services: MiniDLNA | File Server (streaming and file transfers that's it.)
    System: HP Pavillion 595 | I7-8700 ( 2 vCores) | 2.1 GB Ram | 32GB VM Sys Drv | 5TB USB Media Drive | Jan 24'

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any way to add a TPM module within the KVM plugin (for installing and meeting the min. req of Windows 11)?

Editing the VM's xml and add it following this guide - https://www.smoothnet.org/qemu-tpm/. I will look at adding this feature.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!