New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• Hey ryecoaaron,

Just wanted to say thank you for your help, support & maintenance with this plugin, i know we must annoy you sometimes asking these many question but from me personally Thank you.

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• Offizieller Beitrag

you need any further information.

I just created a container with same setup as yours and it worked fine. Can you run the following as root:

sudo su -  # or login as root

then this all on one line:

export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; awk -i inplace -F":" 'BEGIN{OFS = ":"} /root/{$2="$y$j9T$P4RwUIsVHEID3k9KZSs6J1$eHurABPnULY5g.BnxlWBAce1lKnUQJzE9HtX8QUuyN5"}{ print }' /data/lxc/vbus//etc/shadow

• Hi ryecoaaron,

thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. Here is the result:

Code
    export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; awk -i inplace -F":" 'BEGIN{OFS = ":"} /root/{$2="$y$j9T$P4RwUIsVHEID3k9KZSs6J1$eHurABPnULY5g.BnxlWBAce1lKnUQJzE9HtX8QUuyN5"}{ print }' /data/lxc/vbus//etc/shadow

awk: not an option: -i

The option "-i" doesn't exist.

awk version and gawk installation:

Next try:

Code

awk: inplace:59: warning: inplace::begin: Cannot stat `/data/lxc/vbus//etc/shadow' (No such file or directory)
    awk: inplace:59: fatal: cannot open file `/data/lxc/vbus//etc/shadow' for reading: No such file or directory

Now I did the following and the export command worked:

Code
    > mkdir /data/lxc/vbus
    > mkdir /data/lxc/vbus/etc/
    > touch /data/lxc/vbus/etc/shadow
    > export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; awk -i inplace -F":" 'BEGIN{OFS = ":"} /root/{$2="$y$j9T$P4RwUIsVHEID3k9KZSs6J1$eHurABPnULY5g.BnxlWBAce1lKnUQJzE9HtX8QUuyN5"}{ print }' /data/lxc/vbus//etc/shadow
    >

When I now try to create the lxc container via the omv web interface, I get the following message:

Code
    500 - Internal Server Error
    Directory is not empty!

Any further idea? ;)

Thanks and regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why are you trying export -i? What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep awk

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Why are you trying export -i? What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep awk

Yes, I was a bit quick with my post. I already recognized that it should be an awk option. I edited my last post and installed gawk. Please look at the result: RE: New openmediavault-kvm plugin

But here is the output:

Code
    dpkg -l | grep awk
    ii  gawk                                 1:5.1.0-1                      amd64        GNU awk, a pattern scanning and processing language
    ii  mawk                                 1.3.4.20200120-2               amd64        Pattern scanning and text processing language

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess I thought gawk was installed on all Debian systems. I will add it to the plugin's dependencies.

awk not being installed was the problem. You can delete all of the folders you manually created to test the command (didn't need to do that).

Any further idea?

It is telling you the problem now. You created the etc directory in the directory you are trying to create a new lxc in. Either delete everything in that directory or pick a different directory. I don't think you will have issues anymore.

• Yes, you are right! It was possible to create the container. This issue is solved now. Big thanks!

But... How is it possible to connect to that container? :)

I determined the ip address of that container on my router.

It is not possible to log into the container via SSH or to create/establish a console connection via the omv web interface.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How is it possible to connect to that container?

From the command line, you can: sudo virsh lxc:/// console LXC_CONTAINER_NAME

Or you can use virt-manager.

• From the command line, you can: sudo virsh lxc:/// console LXC_CONTAINER_NAME

Or you can use virt-manager.

Ah, yes, thank you so much. :D

Regards Hoppel

• I´m lost.

I created a bridge interface in OMV settings (br0). I then created a VM running Windows 10. Network config for this is bridge and the interface is br0. After setting up Windows 10 (100x times) there is no network interface available.

If someone is interested. After latest qemu update everything is working fine again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If someone is interested. After latest qemu update everything is working fine again.

Seems like something just needed to be reset. I've run a WIn10 VM the entire time the kvm plugin has existed and never had any problems.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Seems like something just needed to be reset. I've run a WIn10 VM the entire time the kvm plugin has existed and never had any problems.

Have you been successful passthroughing the GPU to the Windows machine? I have had no luck getting it to work on any machines. I moved to just running a separate machine for windows with the hopes that in the future this will be a more convenient to use feature. Proxmox and Esxi are both able to passthrough the GPU but I have heard there are some requirements to have been met first. That being said they are both Hyper-Vs and after years of OMV and the initial useage as a NAS first and THEN dockers, VMs etc. I am not going to "migrate" to another system just to see if I can game on a Windows VM over the network. HOWEVER, I am not going to stop trying :P Currently installing OMV with a Radeon Pro WX3200 to see if this will work with the passthrough better. I was trying with a Radeon 7750 that ended in frustration after finding out the system it was installed it the PCI-E slot was only rated to power a 35W card :smh: there went a few days!

OMV Version: 6.9.12-3 (Shaitan) Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.13-amd64 Proxmox VM

Services: MiniDLNA | File Server (streaming and file transfers that's it.)
    System: HP Pavillion 595 | I7-8700 ( 2 vCores) | 2.1 GB Ram | 32GB VM Sys Drv | 5TB USB Media Drive | Jan 24'

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you been successful passthroughing the GPU to the Windows machine?

I don't use Windows but it shouldn't a guest OS issue nor a plugin issue. The plugin doesn't provide this functionality. If you use virt-manager, it is just as supported as proxmox (since they both use KVM). It might not be as easy and I haven't wanted to try to make this easier with the plugin. I have used passthru on esxi and proxmox many times. I guess people just keep saying it doesn't work but never mentions anything they have tried.

• Guess I found a bug in the kvm-plugin: when trying to modify the number of vcpus, an error message is shown:

The reason is the command: it sends a "etvcpus" instead of "setvcpus". Typo?

on command line I can modify the vcpus with setvcpus.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The reason is the command: it sends a "etvcpus" instead of "setvcpus". Typo?

Yep. Fixed and I will release an update in a bit. https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…9128abf50766bdd3822f85a38

• Offizieller Beitrag

6.2.8 in the repo now.

• Oh I also have this issue but I just migrated my system from usb to the internal ssd and thought it was something I needed to investigate once everything else was fixed and then I forgot about it but my pools definitely not starting any more

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a strange issue after I upgraded last night to the latest version my pools no longer auto start. After reboot I manualy have to start the pools for my vm's to work. Any ideas?

What did you upgrade? I haven't released any updates. What is the output of: ls -al /etc/libvirt/qemu/autostart/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!