Migrate OMV from SSD to USB Drive

• So I have an install of OMV 5 running on my server, currently sitting on a 120gb SSD. I want to free up the power/sata cables as I am just about out and was looking at running OMV off of a flash drive instead. Is there an easy way to do this? Can I do a backup of my SATA drive through the WebUI and restore it to a fresh install on the USB stick? Is there a better way to do this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Use Clonezilla but shrink the partition on the ssd to the size of the usb stick before doing that using gparted-live or something similar.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks ryecoaaron .

I installed both the clonezilla and gparted-live from the GUI. Both of them seemed to hang at "creating GRUB entry ...". However, when I rebooted I had the option to select either of them.

My current system drive was 120 GB so I booted from gparted-live, and shrunk the system drive to 25GB. Rebooted and everything was fine.

I then booted off of Clonezilla, and followed the prompts to clone my Kingston drive to a USB thumb drive. I booted off the USB (3.0 surprisingly quick) and everything was fine.

I moved the Kingston drive to another SATA port (my motherboard has an LSI chip so 8 data ports, and I think 4 more on the board - 2 6Gbs and 2 3Gbs). I'm now installing a second SSD out of an old MacBook and my plan is to mirror the system drive on ZFS, and then ZFS the data drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Both of them seemed to hang at "creating GRUB entry ...". However, when I rebooted I had the option to select either of them.

Why do you think they hung? The popup window should change the button to "Close" and you just close it when it is done.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I was waiting for “done”. It said “creating” so I assumed it was still running.

I can improve the code to say done. It doesn't do in it for this situation.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!