OMV web interface fail when local DNS not present

• HI everyone,

I am writing because I need some help investigating some errors i've been having this morning.

My home setup is made by two raspberries running OMV:

1) Raspberry Pi 3 runs OMV and Pihole via docker (IP 192.168.178.120)

2) Raspberry Pi 4 runs OMV and acts as main file server and several other docker containers (IP 192.168.178.100)

I have configured my router to use the Pi3 as default DNS server for the whole network:

- IP 192.168.178.120

- domain: fritz.box

If the Pi3 running pihole is up and running, everything works smooth.

On the Pi4 I have set the hostname and the search domain, and used DHCP.

As soon as the Pi3-pihole is down (reboot, disconnects, fails etc.) the OMV web interfaces ceases to work correctly, even by accessing it directly with the IP and not hostname+domain.

It takes ages to load and eventually will simply default with a dialog "An Error occurred"

From the syslog I can see that nginx is restarted several times:

The moment I turn Pi3-pihole up again, everything runs smoothly and the interface is way more reactive.

Is there anything I can do to diagnose further?

Thanks!

• Could it be you have set DNS for the Pi4 to be your PiHole IP? If you have, change your main server’s DNS to something public like 1.1.1.1, or 8.8.8.8.

Simple and sure backup and restore: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV 5 (current) - Hardware: Thinkserver TS140, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Navidrome, Ubooquity, Digikam, & Heimdall - NanoPi M4 (v.1), backup - Odroid XU4, Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2. Mac user trying to convert to Linux on a HP dx2400, Debian 10 XFCE.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!