What setup to use for different size hd with redundancy

• Hi,

I am running OMV on an Odroid HC4 with Armbian.

I have 2 harddrives.

1x 1 TB

1x 2 TB

I would like to have some redundancy for the 1TB to be mirrored. So that if one drives fails I always have the other. But how can I use the remaining diskspace? What raid/filesystem would I need for that that's not hard to setup? I am a little bit lost at this point.

Thank you for your time and help.

• You can use the 1 TB drive as your main drive.

Then you use rsync or rsnapshot to make regularly an automatic sync to the second drive. You can also add additional data on the second drive for which you don't need backup.

Advantage of rsnapshot over rsync is, that you get a versioned backup. So you can restore previous versions of a file.

rsync comes with OMV out of the box. For rsnapshot you need to install OMV-extras first. Then you can install rsnapshot.

• I understand what you mean. That solution also popped up in my mind. One thing I don't quite understand yet is what the advantaged would be over partitioning or running some form of hybrid raid.

• What do you mean with that?

Hybrid raid was brought in by Synology in DSM 3.1, basically it creates partitions on the drive to maximise capacity and presents itself to the user as an LVM. The other advantage is you can mix and match drive sizes, could you do it using mdadm ..... possibly, but with two drives there's no redundancy.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

• What do you mean with that?

Hybrid raid was brought in by Synology in DSM 3.1, basically it creates partitions on the drive to maximise capacity and presents itself to the user as an LVM. The other advantage is you can mix and match drive sizes, could you do it using mdadm ..... possibly, but with two drives there's no redundancy.

Yes that was what I meant. But i'll try Rsync or Rsnapshot first. Looks likes a better idea.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!