ZFS packages update issue (OMV 5.6.0.1)

• Hi all. I'm getting an error that I've not had to deal with before and was looking for some advice. I'm running the proxmox kernel (5.4.78-2.pve) for zfs and some updates popped up today that don't seem to want to install. From the GUI update output:

It looks like there is a kernel update as well as the zfs plugin and the packages in the unmet dependencies list above. Can someone explain the best way to resolve this please.

Normally I don't have any issue with selecting all updates and hitting install and I am a little reluctant to start trying random things. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Debian moved to 2.0.x zfs and the proxmox kernel doesn't need those packages. So, you will need to remove them and probably the debian kernels.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can confirm that zfs 2.03 is working with proxmox kernel

I updated this morning as well with no issues, but with 2.02

Code
    modinfo zfs | grep version
    version:        2.0.2-1~bpo10+1
    srcversion:     FCF51471B28FD2C8EA5FC0A
    vermagic:       5.4.78-2-pve SMP mod_unload modversions
  • Code

version:        2.0.3-pve1

srcversion:     DCE77834FDF1B30075B1328
    vermagic:       5.4.98-1-pve SMP mod_unload modversions

Not sure why I am having issues running the 2.0.3 version with proxmox also?

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don’t.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Binary Digit ()

• Debian moved to 2.0.x zfs and the proxmox kernel doesn't need those packages. So, you will need to remove them and probably the debian kernels.

I used the option to remove the non-proxmox kernels and headers when I set things up initially for omv5. I only see the aforementioned kernel plus the recovery mode version of it in the drop down list.

It looks like for each of these unmet dependency cases it is trying to install one from buster backports and one from proxmox stable.

Are you saying that I need to explicitly apt remove these and then run the update again?

Code
    # apt list libnvpair1linux libuutil1linux libzfs2linux libzfs2linux libzpool2linux
    Listing... Done
    libnvpair1linux/buster-backports,now 0.8.6-1~bpo10+1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
    libuutil1linux/buster-backports,now 0.8.6-1~bpo10+1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
    libzfs2linux/buster-backports,now 0.8.6-1~bpo10+1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
    libzpool2linux/buster-backports,now 0.8.6-1~bpo10+1 amd64 [installed,automatic]

Will the system be in an unsafe state during that time?

• I updated this morning as well with no issues, but with 2.02

Code
    version:        2.0.2-1~bpo10+1
    srcversion:     FCF51471B28FD2C8EA5FC0A
    vermagic:       5.4.78-2-pve SMP mod_unload modversions

I have that exact output too but surely that's not what we would expect if we are supposed to be using the proxmox packages?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have that exact output too but surely that's not what we would expect if we are supposed to be using the proxmox packages

I would agree but these were in the updates this morning via the backports, I wasn't aware not to install, but mine installed without any errors

• Offizieller Beitrag

Normally I don't have any issue with selecting all updates and hitting install and I am a little reluctant to start trying random things.

OK I just ran up my VM, I had the proxmox kernel already installed and there is an update to that

1) Installed the new pve kernel version

2) Set as default and reboot

3) From Update Manager select any updates for 2.03 and 2.02, zfs-dkms is 2.02

4) Install, seems to be working or the install is

• So I should try to install the kernel packages first on their own without attempting to remove with ones it is complaining about unmet dependencies for? Or will the status of those block further updates without addressing?

Looks like that these are all the kernel related updates in the list for me:

1. pve-firmware 3.2-2
    2. pve-headers-5.4 6.3-5
    3. pve-headers-5.4.98-1-pve 5.4.98-1
    4. pve-kernel-5.4 6.3-5
    5. pve-kernel-5.4.98-1-pve 5.4.98-1

2 and 4 say that they are just metapackages.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I should try to install the kernel packages first on their own without attempting to remove with ones it is complaining about unmet dependencies for

The above worked on the VM, however today I have tried the same on my working server and it appears to be borked, the zfs plugin has been removed and it will not install.

Fortunately I have another flash drive as a backup and an image I can restore, so back to drawing board and the VM

• The above worked on the VM, however today I have tried the same on my working server and it appears to be borked, the zfs plugin has been removed and it will not install.

Fortunately I have another flash drive as a backup and an image I can restore, so back to drawing board and the VM

Hmm, that's annoying. :(

Interestingly, I just did another updates check and I now see some 2.0.3 packages from backports that weren't there before:

libnvpair2linux libuutil3linux libzfs4linux libzpool4linux zfs-dkms

I wonder if this issue has been reported elsewhere? It can't just be an OMV thing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Interestingly, I just did another updates check and I now see some 2.0.3 packages from backports that weren't there before:

Don't install!! I have now borked the VM, it's uninstalling the zfs plugin and the plugin will not reinstall

• Don't install!! I have now borked the VM, it's uninstalling the zfs plugin and the plugin will not reinstall

Same situation here. Although zfs is still functioning. SMB shares are still up, and zpool status shows its fine (just need an upgrade that I'm going to indefinitely postpone in case we have to roll back versions).

This has borked OMV though, can't access File Systems and Shared Folders in the gui now. It's throwing up an error "No filesystem backend exists for 'zfs'."

• Offizieller Beitrag

This has borked OMV though, can't access File Systems and Shared Folders in the gui now

Yes I noticed that as well, well I've just rebooted with a spare backup only to to find that zfs couldn't load from the cache file, turned out the two brand new seagate's weren't being picked up in the bios. Unplug, plug back in reboot twice recheck drives twice until bios detected them, now it's running, that was a 'squeaky bum moment' :)
    Now to have a look at the updates, but checking the VM it seems the issue is related to 2.03 dkms, the update appears to work with 2.02

• i have the same problem:

what should i do?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!