fsarchiver doesn't stop running

• So today I had a notification that my NAS storage was up to 85% used space. Thats weird because I usually have 50% used (2TB) so I checked with ncdu to find the culpit. Well, it was a fsarchiver backup file that was 1.2 tb, when it should be 20 gb. I tried to delete the file but to my surprise it was locked, so I did htop and found this:

Running time 7hs.

Whats happening?

• Can't see all of the arguments to see if it is two runs doing the same thing. Are you using the backup plugin to do this I assume? How often is it scheduled for? Hard to say what the problem is. You may have to kill the runs and delete the file it was creating.

omv 6.0.9-5 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.5 | kvm plugin 6.0.3
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Can't see all of the arguments to see if it is two runs doing the same thing. Are you using the backup plugin to do this I assume? How often is it scheduled for? Hard to say what the problem is. You may have to kill the runs and delete the file it was creating.

I am using the default fsarchiver plugin from omv.

Anyway I may have found the issue. I didn't exclude /mnt and I was mounting a gsuite folder. 😊

• I am using the default fsarchiver plugin from omv.

There is no fsarchiver plugin. The backup plugin is the only thing that uses fsarchiver.

nyway I may have found the issue. I didn't exclude /mnt and I was mounting a gsuite folder. 😊

Weird. fsarchiver works with partitions but it must see fuse mounts as part of the filesystem.

omv 6.0.9-5 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.5 | kvm plugin 6.0.3

• Yes I was referring to the backup plugin.

Unfortunately I've made a mistake and everything is broken now. I was cleaning up the temp directory and I saw the fsarchiver temp files there, and did a rm -rf on them. BAD IDEA THEY WERE HARDLINKS. So basically I destroyed my OMV instance. I'm now trying to restore it from backup (I have my backup in my raid array) using this guide:

How to restore OMV 4.X from backup-plugin to system SSD

I added a step on which I format the ext4 partition with makefs.

The issue is that after restoring using that guide I'm getting blinking cursor. I'm using system rescue cd v7.01 to restore.

Fortunately the /mnt was mounted as readonly so nothing from the mount was deleted, and the raid array was protected because it was in use and the rm command skipped it. A miracle.

• The omv version doesn't matter. Your grub install is not good. There a many reasons why that could happen. Try booting a debian disk and repairing grub.

• The omv version doesn't matter. Your grub install is not good. There a many reasons why that could happen. Try booting a debian disk and repairing grub.

I'm restoring from a backup were GRUB worked fine, shouldn't fsarchiver backup GRUB too?. It wasn't in a separate partition. Can I repair grub using the OMV iso?

You were right, the grub install was not ok and I had to use the debian rescue cd. Now it's booting again!. Thanks very much

What I don't understand is why there is no possibility to have a full working backup using fsarchiver. What am I missing? This whole step seems too convoluted.

• What I don't understand is why there is no possibility to have a full working backup using fsarchiver. What am I missing?

sure it is but it was really meant to restore over a previous install not a blank disk. ddfull would be better for new since it is a full disk image.

This whole step seems too convoluted.

Feel free to suggest something better. Clonezilla actually works much better but people don't want to take the downtime.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!