Unable to complete extended self test on any disk larger than 4TB

• Hi All,

I seem to be unable to get any of my disks that are larger than 4TB to complete an extended offline test and they all end with an "Aborted by host" at 90%. I have tested both manually and via scheduled SMART tests (via gui) with the same results. My google-fu has turned up a number of others with the same issue with varying workarounds but as I would like to have these setup as scheduled tasks, none of the solutions will work through the GUI.

With all of that said, I am looking for options and others experiences.

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have this on a drive that is connected via USB. The USB to sata controller spins down the drive after a defined time. So the test never finishes. As workaround I ran a scheduled job that is touching a file on the drive every x minutes.

• I have this on a drive that is connected via USB. The USB to sata controller spins down the drive after a defined time. So the test never finishes. As workaround I ran a scheduled job that is touching a file on the drive every x minutes.

This is the sort of workaround I saw as well. I can do this but it just makes things more complex when I need to do it for 10+ drives.

• That is what I thought was the issue but even with all drives set to 255 via GUI, they still get aborted by host. I am not familiar with hdparm but will look into that now.

• The only drives directly attached to the MB are the OS (256gb) and scratch (512gb) disk which have no issues with extended smart tests. All other disks are attached via a couple LSI 9240-8i's that has been flashed into IT mode. I would need to go look at the settings for the HBA's but I don't recall seeing anything upon my initial setup.

The drives attached to the HBA range in size from 4TB to 14TB. The 4TB drives have no issues but the 8TB and 14TB drives do.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!