Need help with installation

• I currently installed omv on raspberry pi 4. I have 7 external hard drives all different brands and storage capacity. They're connected to hub and into the rasp. OMV does see them but doesn't see the files or used space. Says n/a as info. Because of this I'm unable to mount so that a can network them thoughout my home.

I know the networking can be done because I've done it before only thing when installed last time, the hard drives were empty so it was a much simpler process. As I thought this would be this time ....I've been searching, watching tutorials and nothing. For weeks. I'm hoping someone can help me..... :huh:

• I'm new to the omg software so what I believe from tutorials. I tried that, (so I think) and yet nothing. Does have to be in raid I prefer to have them separate. I've read once you lose all gets lost and I prefer to lose on hard drive info than all. Lots of years and work.

• I'm new to the omg software so what I believe from tutorials. I tried that, (so I think) and yet nothing. Does have to be in raid I prefer to have them separate. I've read once you lose all gets lost and I prefer to lose on hard drive info than all. Lots of years and work.

but if they are already formatted as a raid, that would old explain it

Do the drives show up under Storage/Disks? They should show there even if they won't mount for some reason.

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• I'm sure it's something I did. Maybe it's the way I prepared omv. Is there a Tutorial that can be referred so that I'm sure this was done right?

• My fear is loosing all that Data.

Well your data shouldn't be an issue... especially since you're using a Pi 4.

As for preparing OMV.. it's really hard to do wrong, especially on the SBC's... You install Debian/Raspbian, use the install script to install OMV... it's pretty straightforward and either works or it doesn't.

Does the hub (or individual drives) have their own power source, or are you trying to run everything off the Pi's power supply. If that's the case it could easily be a power issue.

• I'm just going to put in my two cents;

1) RPi + Hub + 7 drives all individually powered = 9 plugs in total :huh:

2) What is the file system used on each drive

3) Have you tried connecting the drives one at a time

4) The hub is unable to sustain throughput for all seven drives

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

• Well, ntfs.. that is the first thing I would nuke in favor of a Linux filesystem. That said, it sounds like your usage and storage needs is overkill for a SBC and you need to build an actual server.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!