Trying to load devices causes them to crash

• Hey, I've recently installed a fresh OVM installation on my raspberry pi(4gb) which I plan to use to stream videos and access files remotely, I'm currently testing with 2 2.5" external hard drives(connected via 12v powered USB hub), I've set it all up through the GUI, but I've encountered some issue when I'm now trying to load the devices.

The steps I do:

1. Open S.M.A.R.T.

2. Go to devices tab.

3. Loading for a while and then displays the following error:

Error #0:
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; blockdev --getsize64 '/dev/sda' 2>&1' with exit code '1': blockdev: cannot open /dev/sda: No such file or directory in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:195
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/blockdevice.inc(258): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array)
    #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/smart.inc(99): OMV\System\BlockDevice->getSize()
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(635): Engined\Rpc\Smart->Engined\Rpc\{closure}()
    #3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/smart.inc(107): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->asyncProc(Object(Closure))
    #4 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Smart->enumerateDevices(NULL, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/smart.inc(174): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('enumerateDevice...', NULL, Array)
    #7 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Smart->getList(Array, Array)
    #8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getList', Array, Array)
    #10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(588): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatus0O...', '/tmp/bgoutputvC...')
    #11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
    #12 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/smart.inc(209): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('getList', Array, Array)
    #13 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Smart->getListBg(Array, Array)
    #14 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #15 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getListBg', Array, Array)
    #16 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Smart', 'getListBg', Array, Array, 1)
    #17 {main}

After that it seems like the drives are simply disconnected, doesn't show up in any device list command, the folders are empty, GUI shows that they are disconnected, and I just need to reboot the RPi to get it back.

I have no idea why that would happen...shouldn't be related to any power issues through the USB as it's clearly happening with a specific set of orders, if I won't do that it could run for days with no issues at all. I have no issue running the specified command manually as well.

Hope it's the right place to ask, any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

• I have a similar issue, when i try to list devices in "smart" tab, all my usb devices is reseting:

Mar 02 16:16:09 NAS kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, device number 2

Mar 02 16:16:09 NAS kernel: usb 2-2: reset SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd

Mar 02 16:16:09 NAS kernel: usb 2-2: reset SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd

Mar 02 16:16:10 NAS kernel: usb 2-2: reset SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd

Mar 02 16:16:15 NAS kernel: usb 2-1: new SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd

Mar 02 16:16:15 NAS kernel: usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1058, idProduct=0a10, bcdDevice=81.36

Mar 02 16:16:15 NAS kernel: usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=5

Mar 02 16:16:15 NAS kernel: usb 2-1: Product: JMS56x Series

Mar 02 16:16:15 NAS kernel: usb 2-1: Manufacturer: JMicron

Mar 02 16:16:15 NAS kernel: usb 2-1: SerialNumber: 1234567890123

i am using quad sata hat for my raspbery pi4, and it is critical issue for me..

version: 5.5.23-1

• I also thought it might be related to the USB, but I tried another drives connected via USB and it worked just fine....I wonder if it's related to the hard drive size I'm using? (8TB)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!