New OMV user looking for advice on set-up

• So I want to set up a basic home server for my office. The server would not need to do more than host documents such as word, excel, host an Access Database, and perhaps host a printer or two. After doing my research I decided OMV would be a good way to go.

For the machine I have an old PC that I planed to try out.

The specs of that machine:

Processor Intel (R) Core(TM)2

Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

RAM 4GB DDR2 SDRAM

Drive 500GB SATA HDD

-----

So my plan was to try an install using a USB to host OMV and use the 500GB HDD as storage. After succeeding with that I plan to get an internal SSD to host OMV and expand the storage to something like 2TB.

I am brand new to the idea of setting up a home server, but after fumbling my way through the OMV website, numerous youtube videos, and pages of forums and MANY failed attempts using different methods I now have OMV running on the machine and was able to share a few files from one PC in the network to another. YES!

What's funny, only because it doesn't matter, as I never planned on keeping the setup this way at all, is I somehow managed to end up running OMV on the 500GB HDD instead of the 16GB USB. So I currently have the server running with the OS on the 500GB HDD and the storage is 16GB on the USB stick 🤦🏻‍♂️. Oh well, the important thing is I did it! I managed to create a working home server on my first day of trying.

So what next? Whatever I end up doing I realize I will of course have to reinstall OMV...

Should I stick with this system, and buy an SSD to host OMV, then expand storage with a 2TB HDD?

Should I upgrade any other components of the system?

• Sounds like you started on the right track but strayed off some where. This is just my opinion but the best boot drive for your equipment is a 32GB Sandisk Ultra Flair. Buy two right off the bat, the second one for a backup.

1. They are inexpensive.
    2. They are easy to back up.
    3. They free up a sata connection.
    4. With the flash memory plugin they last a really long time - years and years.

Sounds like you are still in the experimental stage. Don’t worry about messing up and starting over. All Most of us have had to start over many times. The first thing you need to learn once you get a basic boot drive up is how to back it up AND restore from the backup. Here’s a good starter document.

Simple and sure backup and restore: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV 5 (current) - Hardware: Thinkserver TS140, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Navidrome, Ubooquity, Digikam, & Heimdall - NanoPi M4 (v.1), backup - Odroid XU4, Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2. Mac user trying to convert to Linux on a HP dx2400, Debian 10 XFCE.

• I agree w/ the above.. a quality flash drive and make sure you install the flash-memory plugin from omv-extras is good way to save a sata port, which are more useful as data drives and the flash drive causes minimal performance hit over a SSD.

Since you seem to be installing/testing a lot.. Do a clean install on your server.. then if you have a reasonably powerful home PC/laptop... install Virtualbox there and create a virtual install of OMV with a couple of small virtual drives (say 16gigs for os, 16gigs for storage).. and do your testing there. Once you know something works how you want it, etc. It's easy to do on your hardware where if you end up completely bricking something on the virtual install... you know what not to do on your hardware. Given the heavy use of docker nowadays, it's pretty hard to brick something beyond repair unless you're planning a ton of tweaking, etc... but back in the day I did it a couple of times.. :)

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!