ZFS or BTRFS

• I want so set up a private media server for myself and wanted to use ZFS or BTRFS as file system. ZFS should be reliable meanwhile, but BTRFS is quite new and I don't know what to think about it. What i saw, it has a few nice features, but though its a private server, I don't want to loose some data because of the file system.

What do you think about these fs and what would you recommend?

• btrfs has been marked as stable in the linux kernel since 2013, so it can be considered "relatively" new. I have used it for a few years now in my Tumbleweed desktop without issue. I have used it with OMV on my Thecus N5550 NAS for several months.

With OMV the disadvantages are:

- you have to assemble the array from the command line

- you have to manage changes like converting from JBOD to RAID1, RAID5 or RAID6 (any direction) from the command line

- you have to install the disk maintenance utilities (scrub and balance) from the command line

None of the above are difficult to do.

The advantages are:

- other than setting up, no other software needs to be added

- even with JBOD automatic recovery from a single bit flip is possible

- extreme flexibility in on-line migrating between all raid versions

- extremely fast raid setup

- raid does not require identically sized HDDs

- the OMV folder/share management are transparent

The only caveat, which applies to other file systems as well, is a simultaneous failure of an HD and a power failure can result with a failed system when raid5 or raid6 is used. Use of a NAS prevents that.

I would suggest reading through the btrfs kernel wiki and watching some of the videos (the Facebook one is interesting).

• Thanks for your message. I saw a tut in youtube about BTRFS and also the working at the cli and it looked not so difficult for me even as a newbie. I only had concerns about the stability, but I think I will give it a try then.

• I also run it on my laptop (also Tumbleweed ;-) ) and on my OMVs. So far no issues. Great program is snapper.

You need to take care of some housekeeping, like with btrfmaintenance.

Do not use RAID56

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Status

One point additional point to notice:

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/…m._What_does_that_mean.3F

• A RAID56 was never an option, it was going to be a RAID1. But the more I read about the specials of BTRFS, like what you mentioned with the wiki, I finally decided to use ZFS. It only wanted to work with the Proxmox kernel, but now it's running fine.

• You don't need the proxmox kernel, in fact the module provided from debian-backports is newer and has more features - OpenZFS 2.0. There's also a ZFS plugin for omv

Correct, you don't have to use proxmox kernel but then you avoid compiling the module. And debian-backports is not newer. Both are using zfs 2.0.3.

omv 5.6.4 usul | 64 bit | 5.11 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.6
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You don't need the proxmox kernel, in fact the module provided from debian-backports is newer and has more features - OpenZFS 2.0. There's also a ZFS plugin for omv

Here in my company ZFS is working with Debian 5.10, but at home with 5.07 ZFS was not installed and with 5.10 it was installed with errors. Only with Proxmox it was installed correctly.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!