OMV does not boot if I disconnect external hard drive

• Hi, I'n newbie with OMV,

I have OMV 5 with external drive for downloads and Transmission docker installed.

I have noticed that if I boot the system without the external disk connected OMV does not boot.

I can see commands that it's creating or searching for some image. Could it be the image of the docker transmission?.

If I reconnect the hard drive and reboot, the system reboots without issue. this is normal?

Thanks.

• Not normal and indicates an incorrect grub setup. Try this:

Connect the external drive and boot the machine.

Open a root user shell and enter this command: update-grub

Shut the machine down, disconnect the external drive and see if it will now boot properly.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You should check sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc and choose the correct device to install the Grub into. If the entry stored in the debconf database is wrong, then what you did will only work temporary.

• Thanks, dleidert

so then I have to install it in "sda" drive, it is correct?

You do not want to do this unless you can absolutely guarantee that that device will always be /dev/sda.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You do not want to do this unless you can absolutely guarantee that that device will always be /dev/sda.

If grub-pc is installed and this is entry is left empty, grub will not be updated at all in the MBR during updates/upgrades and this will lead eventually to an unbootable system as described here. Even if the dialog shows /dev/sda grub-pc is been storing the device name(s) in the debconf database as /dev/disc/by-uuid/... for some time now.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!