SMB Signing?

• Hello,

I am trying to find out if OMV release_v_5.6.2-1 or later supports SMB Signing and how to enable it? I want to require this on my SMB share in OMV so that the password hash cannot be seen/retrieved by anyone on the network. I have searched through all the latest documentation on OMV and done some Google searching, but nothing covers this topic. Does anyone here know if this is supported and/or how to achieve it?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have searched through all the latest documentation on OMV

That's probably because in a home network the requirement isn't there.

and done some Google searching

:/ smb signing linux retrieved a number of hits, try adding server signing = mandatory to the extra options in SMB/CIFS save and apply, might work, might not. But if this is in relation to Windows connectivity then this is dealt with by Group Policy for it to be affective

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

• Hey Geaves,

i appreciate the response and have used it to get myself to solving the issue. As my profile shows, I am a beginner, so much in fact that I had no idea OMV was a flavor of Linux - I was thinking it was its own Operating System. Now i understand why you posted the thinking emoji as if there shouldn't have been a reason why a google search wouldn't have turned up a result, but my searches were so far from anything "linux" that I wasn't finding anything.

In any case, the biggest tip-off you gave was noting the "extra options" box under SMB/CIFS. Below the Extra Option box was a link to the "manual page" for this specific box. i searched that manual for "signing" and found 3 separate sections on exactly how to enable SMB Signing for client, server, and even using SMB Encryption. Although it doesn't show the exact syntax (with or without underscores), i'll be able to test that and use WireShark to see when/if it's actually working.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, I think I got it from here - i hope, lol :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!