Flash QNAP with Openmediavault - Possible?

• sk123

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Flash QNAP with Openmediavault - Possibe?“ zu „Flash QNAP with Openmediavault - Possible?“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

First, yes it can be. As I recall, QNap's are typically just some intel core processor... so you should be able to install OMV on them relatively easily. Not sure on Synology, but there are threads here on installing OMV on both.

However, think about the whole picture (or at least this is how I looked at it when considering this)

If some component goes out on the QNap, Synology or any store bought server like this and it is out of warranty.. It's quite possible you're going to be stuck on eBay or craigslist looking for donor machines to get your server back up. Often something as simple as RAM is soldered in making it difficult for the average home user to fix on their own

With a build, it's as simple as ordering something from Amazon, etc. if something goes wrong. PSU goes bad? Order another one. Ram module goes haywire? Order another one.. list goes on. If in a few years you want to upgrade something because of some new thing you want to do.. .the only thing that will stop you is your wallet. The server you "buy" is going to be limited here most likely.

For me, that's why I will always build as opposed to buy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you guys recommend a good Server Case (with at least 6 bay x 3.5" swapable HDD drives)?

There's options... I personally thought for sure I wanted hot swap on my current build, and when I did some upgrades about 6yrs ago, I got a hot swap case. I honestly hardly ever use it now and wish I hadn't ponied up for a case w/ hot swap.

Understand I'm anal retentive as hell about details, planning, etc.. but here's what I did for the build I'll probably be doing in May (I've already started assembling some of the stuff)

Sit down pen/paper and figure out what you want to do with your server, then figure out what hardware you need (bare bones), what you want, and what you dream of (money is no object)

Use Google, etc. to find components, read reviews, etc. Use https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ to do some mock builds for all 3 to figure out where you are pricewise. If it's to high, figure out where you can sacrifice... If it's way under budget, maybe consider upgrading some other components to get closer to that "dream build" Eventually, you're very likely to come up with something between dream and want.. and hopefully be happy with it. Once you've got a finalized list, post here and see if anyone sees any major red flags (there usually isn't unless you are buying super bleeding edge stuff)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I use QNAP TS-431K 4-Bay NAS ($280) to boot from USB with OMV 5.0?

No. That has an arm cpu. You need something like the TS451. I have used it for years and it is a great box. A little expensive for what it is but very reliable.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just looking at the specs (quad core Celeron w/2gb of ram) you should be able to, but I've never seen that one mentioned here.... You haven't mentioned what you want to do with omv. Just file storage? It would be fine I would think. Using Plex and to stream media to devices in the house and possibly transcoding that media? You would probably be disappointed

• Offizieller Beitrag

Probably since it is Intel and has an hdmi port. But I can't guarantee it. It is faster than my qnap TS451 which will saturate gigabit.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is another option. On Ebay look for a used Lenovo ThinkServer TS -140 with 16gig of ECC ram and a quad core Xeon processor, and super quiet rubber-mounted fans all throughout the case. It will hold four 3.5” hd’s - five if you take the CD drive out. If you are patient you can find a clean one from a reputable seller in the low $200’s. Overall quality is a notch or two above your consumer grade machines.

Yet another option: I saw a refurbished ThinkServer a few days ago from a major online store in the low $400’s (newer model) that sported 8 drive bays with the same quality of processor and ram.

• Hi Agricola, Thx.

I am already using old Gateway PC as OMV - I am really looking for NAS form factor with removable drives. Best case scenario is to buy intel based NAS in ebay and flash OMV.

I would welcome experiences from others in converting NAS to OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would welcome experiences from others in converting NAS to OMV

I maintain four QNAP boxes (three TS451 and one TVS-682) running OMV and they work very well. I will say that removable drives are overrated because of how OMV works - can't change it while OMV is running if the drive is referenced. All of the TS451 are running OMV on a usb sticks. The tvs-682 is running OMV on SSD. I did upgrade the cpu in the tvs-682 to a faster cpu. I upgraded ram in all four of them. What other info are you looking for?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am really looking for NAS form factor with removable drives.

The refurbished I referred to was a ThinkServer TD340. It has 8 drive bays, four of which are removable. I didn’t see any offered on eBay today. But as ryecoaaron said, you can’t really use them hot swappable. On the other hand, they are accessible without opening the case.

• I'l using a 2-bay QNAP with omv.

I'm realy happy with that combination. I guess you can't make it cheaper, smaller or nicer.

The bays are used for data purely. Therefore I added a m2 ssd for operating system and for tmp files.

• SilverStone DS-380?

A bit taller but also more versatile is the Silverstone CS380B. The drive bay cooling design is better, and the added room makes it a lot easier to assemble.

I have a pair of the DS-380B. If I had a few more inches of height space available I would have went for the taller CS-380B.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• A bit taller but also more versatile is the Silverstone CS380B. The drive bay cooling design is better, and the added room makes it a lot easier to assemble.

I have a pair of the DS-380B. If I had a few more inches of height space available I would have went for the taller CS-380B.

How about Fractal Design Node 304/804?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!