Cloning sys-drive plus bigger HDD

• Hello guys!

I am running my OMV 4 on a HP computer (HP Compaq 8300 Elite USDT Mini PC, 3570S 3.1 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, DVD-drive) and I am facing some problems. The SSD system drive is reporting SMART warnings after a power fault and it's running ot of space completely. Instead of trying to check for the cause of what is filling up my drive (I already removed logs a few days ago, saving 30 GB and it's full again; no Plex), I would prefer to install a new SSD with more space. Right now my NAS is already unstable, since I am using several programs on NAS-driven folders which is causing trouble on my Windows machines.

Could somebody help me how to clone my OMV to the new drive? I have backed up all my files from the NAS recently, but it would be hillarious just to clone my sys-SSD to a new one to continue seamless.

I would appreciate a step-by-step help.

Thank you!!

Regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

Be careful. The data on the SSD might be already corrupted. Cloning the drive will not help.

In addition: OMV4 is EOL. You should consider to rebuild with OMV5 (this is what I would do).

You could try to clone and upgrade to OMV5 after.

To clone the drive, I would boot into Clonezilla. Here is the step-by-step guide

https://clonezilla.org/show-li…doc/03_Disk_to_disk_clone

To upgrade:

Upgrade Scripts for non-interactive major release upgrades (2->3, 3->4, 4->5)

• Thank you, macom!

OK, maybe a fresh OMV5 installation would be the very best way. I was wondering if I might simply remove the old SSD, attach the new one, install OMV5 from USB stick and try to plugin the existing drives. According to my search on the net, this should be working, in terms of OMV should be recognizing the file system of my NAS, right? I would have to create the users again and assign the rights. But in general I should get access to my files.

In any case it would not be working, I could plugin the old SSD again as a backup, right?

I hope my light-weighted skills are enough for a task like this...

• Offizieller Beitrag

in terms of OMV should be recognizing the file system of my NAS, right?

Correct.

What you need to do:

• install OMV (w/o data drive for security reason)
    • shut down, attach the drives, boot
    • filesystems on the drives should be detected during boot
    • mount the filesystems
    • create users and shared folders
    • give the users privileges for the shared folders
    • add the shared folders to services (like smb)
    • enable the service
    • etc.

In any case it would not be working, I could plugin the old SSD again as a backup, right?

Correct.

• Hi macom,

thank you very much! I will copy your instructions to my OneNote and try to do it next weekend. Hopefully, I am not appearing here again in despair :D. In prior to my upgrade, I will freshen up my quite recent backup just to have everything saved in any case.

Thanks again, I will keep you informed after my successful installation.

Regards

• Hiho!

I did it! Yesterday I managed to implement the new SSD, then I installed OMV 5 (I was expecting a fresher GUI, but it's looking the same), plugged in the drives and had some hassle to mount the filesystem, but it worked. I worked myself through your list, created the users and stuff and re-mounted the drives under my Windows machines.

All I can say is, it's living :D. And now Windows is booting up fast again, no delays, no ridiculous waiting times and all network stored apps are running up quick. I am a happy user again :D.

I also enable the flash-plugin to save my SSD (I can imagine it fragged me previous one because I did not have this plugin) and ran the attached script in order to deactivate the swap file. One question here - do you know for the flash plugin, if I need the GPT step?

The only thing is that the name of the url has been changed to "openmediavault", which is a bit long in the Windows explorer. I did not exactly find the needed step to change this and I am sure I need to re-mount all Windows machines again.

Thank you very much :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only thing is that the name of the url has been changed to "openmediavault", which is a bit long in the Windows explorer. I did not exactly find the needed step to change this

It is the hostname. You find it in

system >> network >> general

there you change it to something short like "OMV"

• macom

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!