Raspberry "dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown" (on/off switch) feature vanished after omv installation

• Hello !

On a Rasperry PI there is an option to attach a pushbotton on the GPIO3 pins and this gives a start/stop switch to the Pi. Before the installation of omv this feature did work fine - it´s activated in the /boot/config.txt (dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown)

AFTER the plain installation of omv (wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault....) this feature does not work any more for shutdown. To me it seems that omv disables all GPIO...

A start of a PI by closing the GPIO does work, so the general configuration/functionality seems to be OK....

I did test it with a plain Rasberian (buster) + current updates on a Raspberry PI 3 B+ v1,2 . omv 5.6.2.-1

Needless to say omv itself works without any problems.

Any hints would be fine

Greetings from Graz

Reini

• crashtest

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Reini8020

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Raspberry "dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown" feature vanished after omv installation“ zu „Raspberry "dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown" (on/off switch) feature vanished after omv installation“ geändert.
  • ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Hi Reini8020,
    have you already solved your problem. I´m very interested in this because I´m planning in to build my NAS with raspberry pi 4 and OMV. My old NAS is dying now. I was able to trigger the boot process and shutting it down (ACPI) by pressing a light switch paired with a relay. So I was able to do so from different locations in my house. I also would like to do so with my planned raspberry NAS.

Greetings to the beautiful town of Graz from the far north Waidhofen an der Thaya.

• Hello Broncheolus !

On the same web you will find Richtiger An-/Ausschalter für den Raspberry Pi. So geht's - BitReporter.

This gives you a raspberry on/off switch: one entry in the "config.txt" and absolute minimum hardware - one simple touch-button - is needed. Perfect !

It does work a least on 4 raspberry OS's I did test it. AND it does work on "2021-01-11-raspios-buster-armhf-lite" BEFORE you install the omv. So I guess that the omv-install does something on the GPIO management. What and why is all I want to know....

I want do use it as a general solution: One Li-ion battery should keep the Pi alive until it did shut down omv. Currently I am using one 12 V/4A power-supply for all the small equipment: Network switch, omv and Internet ADSL.

Currentlx the one-switch-solution does work for starting the omv / pi

Nevertheless - I did not find time to test it on the other gpio ports. Did anyone ?

Grüße ins Waldviertel !

Reinhard

• Hello people

I can confirm that the gpio-shutdown (short gpio3 to 0V) works on a fresh install of lite, but vanishes after omv install.

The reason I'd like to use it is that have power supply with incoming supply fail alert which might, just might, allow the thing to shut down gracefully. At present I get a corrupted data disk on a power interruption. I think the disk goes down before the Pi.

• Hello !

On a Rasperry PI there is an option to attach a pushbotton on the GPIO3 pins and this gives a start/stop switch to the Pi. Before the installation of omv this feature did work fine - it´s activated in the /boot/config.txt (dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown)

Just to close the post. In version 5.6.13-1 this option does work. With a simple push-botton the rasberry can be turned on / off.

Thank you.

Reini

• macom

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • macom

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • Just to close the post. In version 5.6.13-1 this option does work. With a simple push-botton the rasberry can be turned on / off.

Thank you.

Reini

Hi,

How to install a specific version of OMV (5.6.13-1) ??

I am following the common advice on installing OMV on raspberry pi: download the install file from https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…Script/raw/master/install and run it with sudo.

I have the exact same problem on raspberry-pi 4b 8GB RAM purchased just recently. I have tried this with bullseye and also buster, same behavior with both, once OMV is installed, it kills /boot/config.txt functionality, specifically the gpio-shutdown option.

This is a dealbreaker for me as I need to be absolutely certain that power is not abruptly and the gpio-shutdown option works. I have built a custom PCB with Li-Ion battery backup for this.

Thanks in advance,

Indian.

• I have tried this with bullseye and also buster, same behavior with both, once OMV is installed, it kills /boot/config.txt functionality, specifically the gpio-shutdown option.

????

The OMV script doesn't do anything on the /boot/config.txt

If the option is not there, just edit the file and add the line.

dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown,gpio_pin=3

Details:

firmware/README at master · raspberrypi/firmware (github.com)

• Actually that is the strange part. Initially I thought omv install messes up /boot/config.txt. But not so. That file remains unchanged, byte for byte. But the actual functionality of gpio-shutdown does not work.

Other GPIO outputs work. I have a GPIO controlled cooling fan, which works perfectly even after installing OMV. Reading GPIO via a shell command also works. Just that the ability to trigger a shutdown when GPIO 27 goes low is lost post OMV install.

If I take out the micro SD card, zap it with buster-lite or bullseye-lite, and add the dtoverlay line in boot/config.txt, then gpio-shutdown works. I have tested this dozens of times. But install OMV and boom, gpio-shutdown does not work anymore.

Very strange.

• GPIO 27

According to what I posted above, is NOT GPIO 27, but GPIO3 to 0v (pin 5 to 6)

• According to what I posted above, is NOT GPIO 27, but GPIO3 to 0v

It is configurable. You specify the pin# thru gpio-shutdown option dtoverlay, and arrange to assert (active-low) that pin to signal shutdown. I designed my own little UPS with 2 LiIon cells and a custom designed/manufactured PCB to do this and few other things like a little LCD display, cooling fan & GPS. It all works perfectly w/o OMV.

I don't use pin #3 because it is multiplexed with I2c, which I need too. Hence pin #27 which is not in the way of anything else.

The moment I install OMV and only the gpio-shutdown part of the goodness is gone. I can live w/o the little SPI interfaced display, or the GPS. But not auto-shutdown and cooling fan.

• Maybe activate the "3 Interface Options" on the raspi-config?!?

Now, either don't run OMV or get an Argon Case (the button functions work out of the box) or check the Argon script to see if you can adapt to your case.

Sorry, can't remember anything else

• How do I run previous version of the install ?

If everything worked in 5.6.13-1, I would try with it and confirm / refute that it works. If it does work as reported on this forum, then it should be a simple matter to find out what changed in 5.6.14 (or any later version) and fix.

• How do I run previous version of the install ?

If everything worked in 5.6.13-1, I would try with it and confirm / refute that it works. If it does work as reported on this forum, then it should be a simple matter to find out what changed in 5.6.14 (or any later version) and fix.

I'm considering other possibility:

Not the update of OMV but the update of the kernel that breaks the GPIO.

If you can try it:

Flash a previous version of Buster and set the kernel on hold.

Then run the script for OMV and see what happens.

The script to install OMV runs automatically, and will download the latest version (AFAIK) and will also updates the kernel.

So, who knows?

If you know what to look, see the script and try to figure what can be changed to install a previous version.

The part that deals with the OMV install is this one:

installScript/install at master · OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript (github.com)

If it was done as an apt install probably should be something like:

apt install openmediavault-5.6.13-1 -y

I'm just speculating but maybe ryecoaaron can give an input.

• It is not kernel update.

I used the "legacy" buster images released by raspberrypi.com dated Dec-1 2021. Everything is good after the install, including gpio-shutdown functionality. Then installing OMV using the install script from
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…Script/raw/master/install | sudo bash

breaks gpio-shutdown. Same kernel before and after the OMV install thru this script. i am doubting if the plumbing of handling of the GPIO event is broken during OMV install.

• Which kernel is on the legacy?

Haven't tried it yet but i'm confident that is 5.10.63

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is not the install script causing this. It is possible that OMV configuring the watchdog is causing this but I really have no idea.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it works before installing OMV and not after, it is not the kernel or the Debian base (buster or bullseye).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!