OMV installed on internet server -- I am unable to connect to SMB share

• Hello,

I have installed OMV on a VPS hosted on the public internet. (I want to use it as a backup server for multiple family members who live outside of my home.)

I have no problem connecting to OMV using ssh for the users I created. ie: I can use SFTP to upload files, etc..

However, I have not been able to create a working SMB share. I have enabled SMB, and followed the tutorial by TechnoDad... but when I use Windows Explorer to try and connect to the share... it does not work.

The public hostname for my OMV server is "safe.mydomain.com". (This is not my real domain name, for privacy.)

When I am in Windows Explorer, I tried using \\ safe.mydomain.com as the share name... but after thinking for a few minutes I get this Network Error popup from Windows:

Windows cannot access \\safe.mydomain.com

Is there a trick to connecting to a SMB share over public internet?

Thanks!

• Many ISPs routinely block SMB/CIFS traffic on their networks. Here is an example of what my ISP does to prevent what you are trying to do:

https://www.xfinity.com/suppor…les/list-of-blocked-ports

Does your ISP do this too?

If you still want to do this you could try tunneling the traffic in either ssh or VPN.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Yes, that is the exact problem. My own personal firewall was actually blocking the connection... so I was able to change that.

But then it still did not work, so I contacted my ISP and they are blocking the necessary ports. Unfortunately, they won't allow me to connect.. so there is nothing I can do. :(

I am using Windows, so connecting through SSH is difficult because Windows does not support that ability with drive mapping.

• Just as well that you can't do it directly. The reason that isn't allowed is that it is terribly insecure.

You should be able to do it over a VPN connection.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!