OMV 5.x installation program needs to be improved

• I am a newbie to OMV and Linux ( Debian ). After having installed OMV for more than 30 times, now my OMV works fine. I would like to share my experiences and issues here, they are possibly incorrect or only happened to me.

1. When install OMV 5.x, if your DHCP doesn't support IPv6, installation will hang, you must click cancel before it detects IPv6. Why detect IPv6? Why don't make it easy ? such as give both manual and auto setup option in advance?

2. If your destination disk has a partition, installation will fail to create a partition for OMV OS and be in a YES/NO cycle. You have to restart your install from beginning. It's very ridiculous. If want to do automatically, why don't remove existing partition ? If can't, why don't launch a partition tool?

4. You must disable all the disks except OS disk for OMV installation, otherwise the installation will have 80% chance of failure.

5. If install OMV without network connection, will failed to download and install packages from Debian archive mirror. Extra plugin can't be installed properly without package . I didn't find any option to reinstall package in OMV GUI afterwards.

6. For ZFS plugin, needs extra commands to get ACL worked for a new disk pool.

• 7. If you have lot of RAM, installation will fail because it can't create swap partition.

8. Disk formating and partitioning can fail with debootstrap error if you choose another language then English.

• Yes I spent all weekend trying to install this thing. Finally got it to work but it hangs whenever saving config changes and I think it's yet another failure. Why don't they have a working image for OMV on SBC?

• 7. If you have lot of RAM, installation will fail because it can't create swap partition.

This depends on both how much RAM you have and the size of the disk the system will be installed to.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why don't they have a working image for OMV on SBC?

1. OMV 5.x's saltstack code doesn't work in chroot.

2. The images go out of date too fast.

3. I don't want to maintain a lot of images.

4. The script is less error prone.

5. The script gives you an update to system because I can make changes to it on the fly without having to update a lot of images.

6. You don't have to wait for an image to be built for new boards because the script just works.

7. I own a lot of boards but not all. Hard to test.

8. It is very good for users to know a little bit of how to use the command line.

Is that enough? Why is it so hard to run one install script? We have a very good guide that most would need even if the image already had OMV on it. RPi?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!