VPN Container where to being Uggh.....

• Hi everyone I am new to OMV, so please be kind. I am wanting to create a container using one of my vpn providers; either Private internet access, or protonvpn, and then route a container with my torrent downloader on it. I have tried following some DBTech guides and Technodad guides to no avail. I am not a newb to debian as I have been using a deriviative for 20 years but for some reason I am struggling with this. I used to use a synology nas but it no longer supports my needs, so I built a new system and am running OMV 5.6.3-1 on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie

• More information is needed.

What images have you tried? What is failing? What torrent client are you wanting to use. What docker run, docker create, or docker compose files are you using.

Don't post links to videos and say you tried what was in them - nobody is going to watch them to see what the author did and still not know what you did.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• So far I have tried these images; https://hub.docker.com/r/markusmcnugen/qbittorrentvpn , with this one I had everything working and was able to login to qbittorrent but when I would do a search I would get no results. I then tried this image; transmission-openvpn-syno using stacks and it was struggling connecting to my vpn services. When I checked the log it listed all the servers and said i needed to pick one. I just want to know what is the best way to go about this. As far as torrent client i would use either transmission or qbittorrent. I really dont know the difference between docker run, create or compose?

Jamie

• I have tried the markusmcnugen image myself and could not get it to work. No DNS resolvers were available, so my RSS feeds were inoperable. I never found a solution, even after reading many posts on his github page, and I wasn't alone with that problem.

Which VPN server is used is usually specified in the .ovpn file provided by your VPN provider. Look there and edit the file accordingly.

As for the differences between docker run, create or compose, you'll have to find examples of those formats and look at them. Just look at various docker image documentation pages and you'll find some. Or google for answers.

As for now (and the last few years) I use Deluge for the client with a SOCKS5 proxy. I have also tried qbittorrent with the same proxy, but the RSS feeds hang when updated. I don't know why, others have had the same problem, but I have not yet found a solution.

The binhex/arch-delugevpn image works for me, but offers no advantage to me over the plain version so I stick with the linuxserver/deluge image and the SOCKS5 proxy.

EDIT:

I was able to get the markusmcnugen/qbittorrentvpn image to work making only one change to how I was implementing it.

It will not work properly (no DNS resolution within the running container) if it is deployed with a docker run command. A docker create command was not tested

It works perfectly if deployed as a stack. It probably will work properly via a docker compose command, but this was not tested. Here is my sanitized input for the stack:

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Yer welcome. Glad to be of help. I have switched away from Deluge to Qbittorrent for now. It handles much better.

--

• does this load with

omv

ip/8080 ?

I am trying your sanitized version which added the umask (the first one I had left it out.)

I had found this

---

version: "2"

services:

qbittorrentvpn:

image: markusmcnugen/qbittorrentvpn

container_name: qbittorrentvpn

privileged: true

environment:

- VPN_USERNAME=vpnusername

- VPN_PASSWORD=vpnpassword

- PUID=998 #optional

- PGID=100 #optional

- WEBUI_PORT_ENV=8080 #optional

- INCOMING_PORT_ENV=8999 #optional

- VPN_ENABLED=yes

- LAN_NETWORK=192.168.1.0/24

- NAME_SERVERS=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4

ports:

- 8080:8080

- 8999:8999

- 8999:8999/udp

volumes:

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Files/Config/QBittorrentVPN:/config

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Files/Torrents:/downloads

restart: unless-stopped

but I still get nothing when I try to open the page

• It should be running with its web interface on port 8080. Check the container log and /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Files/Config/QBittorrentVPN/qbittorrent/data/logs/qbittorrent.log

The other thing is you must have a working VPN configuration and connection formed and running, Did you install a suitable .ovpn file in /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Files/Config/QBittorrentVPN/openvpn ?

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!