Spindown time not respected

• Hi all,

First I would like to thanks the community and the dev of OMV. I decided to create my NAS a few month ago, and I have to say that would made an amazing work. Thanks a lot for that.

As a quick intro here is my setup :

-AsRock J4125

-4x4Tb Seagate ironwolf

-PCIe TO Sata card with 2x 256 gb SSD - One as system the other one as system backup

Then I do have docker running on the NAS with a few container :

-Hassio supervised for my home thermostat

-AdGuardHome to secure my network

-Filezella

-FileBot

-Plex server.

The issue I'm facing is the spin down time. I did set it up to 60 min but I notice that the 4 HDD spin down after very short period of time. The main problem for me is that when I watch something with Plex I can hear the hard drive doing spin down, wake up vas soon as Plex need to cache. I didn't time it, but probably spin down every 5 min with a wake up after a 1 min.

If I setup the spidown time as no spin down, the hard drive are going to stay awake all the time.

From /etc/openmediavault/config.xml the settings seems correct :

<apm>1</apm>

<aam>128</aam>

<spindowntime>244</spindowntime>

Reboot after changing the settings don't seems to work as well.

If you have any idea, please let me know.

In advance, thanks for your help.

Almaire

• In my setup I also use disk spin down, but I never have changed any of the APM and AAM default settings. APM = 1 is a very aggressive power management setting. Therefore set Apm = 127 and try again. You also should have an eye on your SMART check intervall.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Hi cabio_leo,

Sorry I didn't came back for a while now.

I did set Apm = 127 but it's not bringing anything. After accessing the NAS, the disk spin down very fast.

In general it's a bit annoying while working on the NAS that I need to wait for the HDD to spin up if I didn't use them for a few minutes.

I tried to look for solution but I could not find anyone with the same problem.

Grégoire

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!