OMV on off-the-shelf NAS boxes?

• Hi all,

Does OMV work equally well on Arm and x86?

What pitfalls would there be to running it on retail NAS boxes?

Any brands more likely to work well?

My current 4-bay shortlist is:

Asustor AS4004T - $360, Arm A72 (Marvel Armada 7020), Ethernet: 10 + 1.0 x2

Asustor AS5304T - $430, Intel J4005, Ethernet: 2.5 x2

QNAP TS-431P3-2G - $380, Arm A15 (Annapurna AL-314), Ethernet: 2.5 + 1.0

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've been waiting for someone to answer your thread, who has the hardware you've listed. But, it appears that may not happen. Since OMV is a DIY NAS solution and 100% compatibility with unknown hardware is not guaranteed, forum users would be reluctant to give a thumbs up to your list.

I can say this much about your list:
    - OMV's support of Arm devices is limited to R-PI's and what Armbian supports. Without knowledge of what is actually running the two Arm NAS boxes, they're out.
    - The Intel (with BIOS) powered Asustor AS5304T is a possibility, but without knowing exactly how it boots, it can't be confirmed either.

If you want a purpose built NAS device, the best approach might be to search for a "hack" article where OMV has been retroactively installed on something like an older QNAP.

Otherwise, within the price range posted, something used or a even new build is possible.

• Would you say that on average, x86 is a safer bet than Arm?

And what would be the common reasons for incompatibility? Booting, storage, networking...?

Some of the Asus and Qnap code is open source:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asgpl/files/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/qosgpl/files/

Otherwise, within the price range posted, something used or a even new build is possible.

You mean DIY? The advantage of these retail NAS boxes is size, probably noise, and maybe power efficiency.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would you say that on average, x86 is a safer bet than Arm?

X86 / amd64 is a far safer bet. With BIOS or UEFI, booting is much more straight forward. On the other hand, if the device is set to boot to on-board flash, it has custom BIOS, or the inability to, say, boot on a USB thumbdrive, things could get complicated. Unless you have expertise in these areas, it's best to find a "How-To" or a Hack article written by someone who has replaced the OS on a specific model. If the device will accept Ubuntu or Debian, it's a much better bet for installing OMV.

ARM is in another category. ARM devices may require board or CPU specific tweaks (ARM CPU's are RISC) to get Debian to work well. This is why the project supports Armbian supported devices. The Armbian Project does the work needed to install Debian on their supported boards.

The advantage of these retail NAS boxes is size, probably noise, and maybe power efficiency.

Yes. The "instant" NAS boxes tend to have all the features listed above. But that doesn't mean you couldn't do the same thing with a mini-itx mobo with, maybe, a good performing Atom or Laptop CPU, a CUBE case, etc., etc.

Frankly, I'd recommend that you repurpose an old Windows box with one or two good sized hard drives (cheap) or, maybe, an Armbian SBC or an R-PI with a drive dock (very power efficient). That would give you a feel for OMV, and a backup device, for when you decide on what you want and how to go.

I started out with an R-PI and an external drive. I then moved to a Lenovo TS140 that I upgraded to 12GB ECC (For Dockers and VM's). I now have a couple more servers, but you get the idea. Start off small and figure out what you need over time.

Some of these issues are discussed in the Getting Started Guide. That's a good place to start.

• Not sure what is the pricing where you live but here in Europe the AS5304T is on par with something like the HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus which is a pre-built small-factor x86-based computer with 4x3.5"bays. I am running OMV on it without any issues. It might meet the size and efficiency requirements you have.

• Offizieller Beitrag

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus which is a pre-built small-factor x86-based computer with 4x3.5"bays.

mra68x "That" (the above) would be my preference. A purpose built small server that's ECC capable, good CPU power to could handle VM's if needed, 4 drives etc. We have more than a few users that have installed OMV on the HP microserver series.

• KucharczykL

How's the noise from that smallish fan?

But, only 1Gbps Ethernet. And seems rather more expensive. And judging by the power supply rating and the CPU, I suspect it's not as efficient.

crashtest

I suppose that's just plain x86, so as compatible as it gets. But I don't need VMs or anything else fancy. Just good performance storage.

Funny/sad how I'm always having trouble finding hardware (and software) that fully matches my tastes...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Funny/sad how I'm always having trouble finding hardware (and software) that fully matches my tastes...

I've found that OMV becomes an evolution of sorts, as the world of opensource software unfolds. Once users go through OMV's plugin's, discover the Dockers they may want to use, how much data they'll be storing, etc., those experiences lend to making better hardware decisions over time.

Of one thing I'm certain - I'll never get locked into a proprietary server OS or hardware that can't be reloaded with the OS of my choice. Those days are over. While OMV can be limiting in some respects, there's next to nothing that it can't do to include ZFS and other high end tech. And OMV will permit direct installation of other server packages, side by side, as well. (If something extra is needed, it's best to install it with a Docker. No hassles, no conflicts. Delete the container and nothing remains.) If I knew of anything better than OMV, for home or small business use, I would be using it.

Again, the prior recommendations of an SBC & drive dock or enclosure, or an old workstation, are not a bad place to start. There's nothing wrong with a low cost test run.

• I can say this much about your list:
    - OMV's support of Arm devices is limited to R-PI's what Armbian supports. Without knowledge of what is actually running the two Arm NAS boxes, they're out.

As long as you can install Debian on an ARM platform, OMV should work, depending on kernel features or some other setting, some OMV features might not be OK. For example, I just installed OMV 5 on my Linksys WRT1900AC v2 router, right now BTRFS/ZFS/Docker/Quota not working, but as a simple OMV NAS, it still have basic functionalities.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Waiting to hear back from Asus, maybe they'd have some constructive to say. :)

I'd be interested in what they might have to say. Other than a canned response along the lines of "don't recommend" - "will void warranty", I doubt you'll hear from them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd be interested in what they might have to say. Other than a canned response along the lines of "don't recommend" - "will void warranty", I doubt you'll hear from them.

Agree.. I'm not sure what else he'd expect to hear from them. If they tell you it will work fine, then when it doesn't people will blame them for not supporting it.

• Got an initial reply from Asustor. Not a complete one, so I've asked for more info. So far no further reply.

I know meaningless replies are the expected norm for customer/technical support, but in the past I've had better-than-average conversations with Asus (routers). Also the initial Asustor reply now was a little better than average, so I'm still hopeful.

I use an AS3104T v1 with OMV5. I installed OMV on the small internal SSD.

How's that SSD connected?

What did you have to do to install OMV?

Can you easily revert back to the Asus OS?

• I think I've exhausted the mini-conversation with Asus.

AS4004: They seem to suggest the problem with alternative OSes is that there's no display output (unlike models that have HDMI) and so no way to configure where it boots. Their wording suggests to me, maybe, that behind the scenes it can be configured.

AS5304: They said booting can be configured thru HDMI and a USB keyboard. But, they said something unclear about having to remove the onboard flash. I've no idea what they mean. Based on the following photo, there's nothing easily removable, only a BGA Kingston 4GB eMMC (EMMC04G-M627, that's on a mainboard version AS5304T V1.2, P/N 0801-L0808001-120; if I got those 8s right).

But there are two potentially interesting headers: 8-pin J3, and 4-pin J4.

J3 is next to an 8-pin chip that could be flash, but I don't think it can be anything more than BIOS/firmware.

Could J4 be serial?

https://www.techpowerup.com/re…/images/mainboard_top.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/re…s/images/cpu_heatsink.jpg

From a TechPowerUp review.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here's a story to consider:

I ran into similar issues when attempting to run OMV on an HP EX475 - an older prebuilt NAS appliance.

I built OMV, on a USB thumbdrive, on another host, and moved it over to the EX475. As that turned out, there was one USB port (of the three available) that could be used to boot the box. (Becoming aware of that little detail was a PITA in itself.) Also, it was necessary to reconfigure the onboard RAID controller from RAID0 to JBOD. This was a procedure that could be done in the blind, in accordance with an exact number of steps with a USB keyboard, but that didn't work out for me. The EX475 had a VGA port, but it was a header on the Mobo. I found a pinout and made an adapter. Even after all of the above, once OMV was running, the operation of the Ethernet port was iffy for some unknown reason. I got past that issue with a USB2 to Ethernet adapter (100mbs).

Keep in mind; all of the above was indirectly supported by articles on-line, found here and there, written by others who had blazed the trail. Even with the needed info at hand and with knowledge that it could be done, it still was something of a PITA. The only reason I did it is because support for Windows Home Server was dumped and I already had the box with an outdated OS. This is the down side of a pre-built NAS. After a couple to three years, the OEM couldn't care less. Extended support is suspended fairly quickly.

In your case you'd be buying the box, at the retail price, with no assurance that OMV will work. (And the risk of bricking the box if whatever needs to be done with the flash-mem doesn't work out.

I still think, with a budget in hand and maybe a "How-To" NAS article, you could come up with something better on your own.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't believe you're still expecting more info from them. I'm frankly surprised you got what you got. This could easily be interpreted that they would "support" this endeavor, which they will not.

Zitat
    I still think, with a budget in hand and maybe a "How-To" NAS article, you could come up with something better on your own.

This is the absolute best advice that can be given at this point. If you're not comfortable following a How-To article, buy a HP Microcserver and start throwing drives in it.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!