New Installation unable to use ssh

• Hi , installed OMV on RPI4 4gb following TDL video, enable / started ssh during installation, console ssh is enabled , new user with groups added sudo, root & smb. I am unable to ssh into OMV. Looked at various forum message but still unable to connect.

As a newbies can someone please help and advise how to create password for root or where i am going wrong.

• You don't specifically say which user you are trying to login via ssh, just that it doesn't work.

The root user's password was set when you installed OMV.

By default, the root user cannot login via ssh. This can be changed in the Services | SSH panel within the OMV GUI.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi thanks for reply tried with pi but no success access denied. This morning i removed Mike and setup new user Mikey this user did not work however i did manage to ssh using ssh pi@ 192.168 xxxxxx this only gave access to raspberrypi. OMV is enabled as you can see. I am using Imac terminal

How do i get to OMV ? as i said i am a newbie to this.

• The user Mikey is not a member of the ssh group and will not be able to connect until he is. I would avoid using mixed case usernames.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi as newbie , i am still unable to ssh directly to OVM on my RPI4 4gb i set mike as a user in users with the groups "adm ssh sudo, root," sambashare , with a password. However when i tried to ssh access denied with user mike, but when i tried with user pi i gained access to pi@raspberry with the password i used i omv. I have no idea why i cannot access omv ?

Any help and procedure would be help. thanks in advance.

• Hi , thanks for the reply Mike does not have a home folder as i cannot ssh into OVM by to create one . I can ssh in to pi @ raspberry where OVM is located but when i try to list (ls) this is all that is listed as you can see on the screenshot. SSH into raspi-config . I created a new user admin-user , user, ssh root , adm sambashare but i am not sure exactly if i am in OMV.

Could not chdir to home directory /home/admin-user: No such file or directory

$ ls

bin dev export lib media opt root sbin sys usr

boot etc home lost+found mnt proc run srv tmp var

$ cd home

$ ls

mike pi

$ cd mike

$

As i said i am a novice and willing to learn if i can be directed in the right direction with some help.

• There is an option in the web GUI to enable home folders for users you create (I don't remember exactly where, but should be in the same place) - the whole point is to have the home folder for SSH to work in the first place.

• Hi cubemin

I was able to create a folder , however , i am still at lost on how to ssh to OVM, as i said i ssh to PI as you can see and it gives me the files . When i am in PI i am not able to create a home directly in OVM ? So how do ssh into OMV to create and amend files ?

Can you explain what i am doing wrong once i know the direction i should be going i will understand. I would appreciate your help before i forget the whole thing.

Could not chdir to home directory : No such file or directory

pi@raspberrypi:/$ ls

pi@raspberrypi:/$

• Hi macom

mike was a user with these privileges . ssh , adm users sudo root sambashare as per attached screenshot . I delete mike and setup administrator as you will see my attempts with administrator below:

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;

the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the

individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent

permitted by applicable law.

$ sudo ls

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System

Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.

#2) Think before you type.

#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for administrator:

$ ls

$

If i use Pi , it can get into the pi directory but when I use administrator i end up with nothing. I am hoping to creates a home directory and other things if i can get into OVM.

Where an i am going wrong ssh is in the group but no showing on screenshoot until you click on it . I hope that you can shed some light on what i am doing wrong Thanks in adavance

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a difference between ssh and sudo.

A member of the ssh group is able to connect to your server via ssh.

A member of the sudo group is able to get elevated rights.

If you want to enable sudo for this user, you need to add him to the sudo group

Your post does not really make sense to me.

• Sorry if it is not making sense. Ok I want to be able ssh into OMV to hope fully make changes, I can ssh to RPI no problem but i cannot ssh to OMV , i see that others have had the same problem but i cannot find a solution.

I have set a user as administrator as you have seen but when i ssh using my terminal on imac i always have the following message and i do not know if i am OMV or not.

administrator@192.168.0 xx's password:

Linux raspberrypi 5.10.17-v7l+ #1403 SMP Mon Feb 22 11:33:35 GMT 2021 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;

the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the

individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent

permitted by applicable law.

Could not chdir to home directory : No such file or directory

$

If i (ls) i get

$

I do not know if i am in Pi or OMV, this is my problem.

I want to create a home folder in home directory to install Home Assistant and remove folder/file in my OMV file system which is stating missing . I can creates a home folder in the OMV shared option ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!