Help with Docker - not running and cannot uninstall

• I recently developed a need to set up Docker on my OMV NAS as described below:

After reading numerous recommendations I did the following:

1. created a shared folder on the NAS to use for Docker [/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data/Docker] As my OS is on a 32GB SSD
    2. I set the ACL for this folder to allow Docker to Read and Write
    3. In the Docker setup page I added the shared folder to the Docker Storage field
    4. I changed the IPTables to use Legacy
    5. I saved that configuration
    6. I Installed Docker

The result of this is that Docker shows that it is installed but not running (even after numerous Docker Restarts and a couple of Server Reboots.

Furthermore I thought perhaps I should just Remove Docker and Re-install but in doing that I get an error message saying Docker Cannot be uninstalled.

Also the boot log held these gems if they may help:

Code
    2021-04-16T16:21:18-0400 Borg.ShulistHome systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Create lightweight, portable, self-sufficient containers....
    2021-04-16T16:21:18-0400 Borg.ShulistHome docker[16632]: /usr/bin/dockerd not present or not executable ... failed!
    2021-04-16T16:21:18-0400 Borg.ShulistHome systemd[1]: docker.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    2021-04-16T16:21:18-0400 Borg.ShulistHome systemd[1]: docker.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    2021-04-16T16:21:18-0400 Borg.ShulistHome systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Create lightweight, portable, self-sufficient containers..

I am not sure how OMV_Extras caused this to happen but I would appreciate any assistance in correcting this problem.

OMV 5.6.11-1 ■ AMD 6 Core ■ 8TB ■ 32GB SSD Boot

• ShamusLit

Hat das Label gelöst entfernt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

ShamusLit I'm curious why you changed your IPTables to legacy, and what you mean by “I set the ACL for this folder to allow Docker to Read and Write”

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• ShamusLit I'm curious why you changed your IPTables to legacy, and what you mean by “I set the ACL for this folder to allow Docker to Read and Write”

Agricola I was following a Docker setup post (which I cannot find again) it recommended those two settings.

I have manged to delete the prior docker installation (thank you cubemin) and now , hopefully, have a clean slate. Is there a Docker setup instruction somewhere I should follow?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Agricola I was following a Docker setup post (which I cannot find again) it recommended those two settings.

I have manged to delete the prior docker installation (thank you cubemin) and now , hopefully, have a clean slate. Is there a Docker setup instruction somewhere I should follow?

It's pretty basic, install it, then set your path for your containers, somewhere on your data drives, to get them off your OS drive. Save and restart docker.

SSH your server and

Code
    docker info | grep Root

and make sure it's storing your containers on your data drive... After that, it's just installing and uninstalling the containers

• KM0201 I wish it were so. After deleting the prior installation of Docker I rebooted, and attempted to reinstall Docker. The install log file shows the following:

but within OMV-extras the Docker tab still says it is not installed. So I am guessing that since the Docker Storage Line is blank there is a folder location missing. What I've got is a 32GB SSD (Dont want to use that) and a 7TB RAID array. I've read its not good to put the Docker storage on a Shared folder and the instructions are not clear how you should proceed on this. Suggestions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it blank, or does it say /var/lib/docker ? If it's blank, then yes that is a problem. You can put your containers on a RAID, that's not an issue (you might run into an issue with docker starting before the raid is mounted, but that is relatively easy to fix)...

Go to shared folders, and create a folder called "Containers"... get the absolute path of that folder (/srv/some-info/Containers) and use that absolute path for your docker container path.

Save and restart the docker service.

• KM0201 Well that did not work.

I created a shared folder, added that folder to Docker install page, installed, saved, and restarted and get the following:

Code
    >>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; echo "Restarting docker ..." && systemctl restart docker.service ': Restarting docker ...
    <<< *************************************

in an endless loop. And OMV-Extras, Docker Tab is still saying it is not installed.

• Do not use a shared folder for the Docker Storage path. Use the actual filesystem path instead.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• gderf how do I determine the "actual file system path"? And KM0201 how does that reconcile with your recommendation to "use that absolute path" from the shared folder?

I created a shared folder called Docker and the absolute path to that is /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data/Docker which is what I used. Should I have used something else?

• Offizieller Beitrag

gderf how do I determine the "actual file system path"? And KM0201 how does that reconcile with your recommendation to "use that absolute path" from the shared folder?

Each shared folder, has an absolute path (or filesystem path as he put it)..

Go to shared folders, click the arrow next to one of the columns, choose the columns option, and then make sure there is a check next to "Absolute Paths"

• OK did all that and I used the absolute path as you suggested. So what next?

Here's what happened when I installed Docker...

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK did all that and I used the absolute path as you suggested. So what next?

Here's what happened when I installed Docker...

OK, and it still says docker is not running? Try refreshing your browser. Do you have SSH access to the server?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's saying docker isn't even installed, so go back to the webUI, and install

Go to the webUI, and uninstall docker... then try to reinstall t.

You've got something very weird here.

Edit: There was a typo in that one command, but it's irrelevant..

It should have been

Code
    docker info | grep Root 
  • KM0201 here is the progress report...
    Un-install Docker - result:

I deleted the old shared folder and created a new one. Rebooted server after.

Re-install Docker - result:

Saved and then restarted Docker - Result:

Code
    >>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; echo "Restarting docker ..." && systemctl restart docker.service ': Restarting docker ...
    <<< *************************************

again in an endless loop. How is it possible to go through an install of Docker without errors and still not have it installed.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ShamusLit ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!