How to install Plexmediaserver on OMV

• Hi,
    First let me say although I'm new to OMV it seems to be a beautiful thing

I have installed 5.5

The video support is amazing although some parts are outdated it would seem.

Anyhow, I setup my shares, and am attempting to installed "extras" and then install the plex docker versions.

When I install the openmediavault extras I do not have the suggested screens or options shown in the videos.

I was able to "enable" the extras repos and I installed and enabled the "docker and portainer"
    From what I can tell I need those.

I am not sure where to go from here. The videos indicate to install some other plugin options but I don't have those in the list and some are already installed with the "extras"
    Now what ?

I am running omv on kvm - virt-manager with network bridge and working perfectly.

I assume the goal for many is to be able to use the omv for sharing storage, and simply put their media onto their media storage shares etc. THEN ultimately to have Plex make use of that folder storage somehow ?

I mean I assume this is the goal in order to have both local network NAS shares as well as media server that uses the same storage in order to use your Plex for both only and local media viewing. Subsequently with the ability to point Plex or roku to your local media storage as well ? MAYBE ?

Anyhow, sorry for the long winded post but just trying to understand what is the process for using plexmediastorage on omv 5.5 now that the video tutorials don't really apply exactly.

Sooo...... Any advice or response is welcome.
    Please advise
    Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some of the videos deal with OMV5. At that time there was a docker gui plugin which has not been ported to OMV5. Now on OMV5 it is suggested to use Portainer or Yacht.

Here is a howo for Plex in docker. Can be installed either from CLI or in Portainer.

[How-To] Install Plex Media Server (PMS) container using OMV and docker-compose

• Thanks,
    So what is the benefit of installing Plex this way over let's say installing snapd then "snap apt install plexmediaserver" If that would even work etc.

I was considering something like that but concerned about installing snapd and breaking omv 5.

Thanks

• Thanks for the replies.
    I followed the "portainer" instructions and I'm confused about this term.

• paste your docker-compose file in the "Web editor"

I don't know what is considered a docker-composer file.
    I was directed in the linuxserver discord channel to past the content of the script into the field

GitHub - linuxserver/docker-plex "docker-compose" (recommended)

I pasted the content of that field (recommended) into the portainer field.

I got this error but I'm not sure I actually did the correct thing or correct file mentioned.

Thanks for any replies on this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is the docker-compose file from the How-To I linked

• GOT IT thanks.

Sooo..... as a noob OMV user and now NOOB to docker/portainer I learned a lot from this.
    I see that in the CLI instructions show the "file" but when linked to the portainer instructions I did not really understand that term "file" I never considered referencing the CLI instruction. I sort of just pushed on to the next link/tutorial. If I knew what "file" meant for docker/portainerized use I probably would have caught that right off.

Thanks, it was exactly what I needed to know.

So can this install of plex now make use of my already working share folders or do I have another stage to configure ?

Thanks a lot.

P.S
    FYI I am very impressed with the amount of time and video tutorials already provided it's really quit amazing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So can this install of plex now make use of my already working share folders or do I have another stage to configure ?

This is the part you need to adjust for this:

Code
    volumes:
          - /srv/dev-disk-by-label-disk1/appdata/plex/config:/config  #adjust /srv/dev-disk-by-label-disk1 (mounted 'exec')
          - /path/to/tvseries:/tv                                     #adjust according your setup
          - /path/to/movies:/movies                                   #adjust according your setup; add more volumes 

On the right side of the ":" is the path inside the container. Do not change "/config". For "/tv" and "/movies" you can change the name. You can also add additional lines for more directories.

On the left side of the ":" is the path on the host (that is your server). So you can point the folders /tv and /movies to existing paths on the server.

The config folder will hold your configuration of plex. This folder should be on a filesystem that is mounted "exec".

Here is explained how to do that https://openmediavault.readthe…m-environmental-variables

There is also a video from TDL.

• tbh I would recommend the Jellyfin project if you don't have something that really needs plex.

Jelly has transcode capabilities and that function alone requires the plex pass :/

Though (imo) Docker is recommended, you can also just install it on your regular drive :)

Linuxserver.io also maintains a version which is even capable of transcoding lighter files on a Raspberry

The definition of a lurker ^^

Main NAS: Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB with Docker on Raspberry OS Buster

Backup NAS: Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB with Docker on Raspberry OS Buster

Syncing Backup with Main over Rsync (just the NAS files) because no USB Raid :saint:

• That is the good thing with docker. You can just spin up another docker for Jellyfin and see what you like more. Once you have decided you can delete the container and the config folder of the one you don't like.

Exactly. At first I tried out Plex and was very impressed by how easy it was but got annoyed when I tried to play anime files I got from sources. When I looked for other solutions to just not pay for the PlexPass (because 120€ is a BIG investment for software you know nothing about) I stumbled into Jellyfin and with the new knowledge I got it up even faster and just 2 months ago was able to enable the transcoding o x264 files :)

The definition of a lurker ^^

Main NAS: Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB with Docker on Raspberry OS Buster

Backup NAS: Raspberry Pi 4b 4GB with Docker on Raspberry OS Buster

Syncing Backup with Main over Rsync (just the NAS files) because no USB Raid :saint:

• tbh I would recommend the Jellyfin project if you don't have something that really needs plex.

Jelly has transcode capabilities and that function alone requires the plex pass :/

Though (imo) Docker is recommended, you can also just install it on your regular drive :)

Linuxserver.io also maintains a version which is even capable of transcoding lighter files on a Raspberry

I wondered about this or other media server as well. I am not all into plex I've never used it but mostly like the way it looks for my own media storage.
    thanks. Also my goal is to use roku to watch my stored media but not like the roku player but with better graphics and thumbs etc.

• Also my goal is to use roku to watch my stored media but not like the roku player but with better graphics and thumbs etc.

To get the full Plex experience on Roku you need to install the Plex app on it. Have you already done that and don't like it?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• To get the full Plex experience on Roku you need to install the Plex app on it. Have you already done that and don't like it?

I don't know. I have not used plex at all. The roku player itself might even be ok for me if I had better configured content on my local computer and not jumbled with documents too.
    While I was doing organizing things and setting up NAS I figured I may as well select a media storage server type as well with better features for all devices including roku.

• If you just want to play files on your roku, all you need is the file player app it comes with. But if you want the Plex experience, put Plex on your server and on your Roku. It's free and you won't regret it.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• If you just want to play files on your roku, all you need is the file player app it comes with. But if you want the Plex experience, put Plex on your server and on your Roku. It's free and you won't regret it.

I know but the roku media player isn't really that great. You can't resize the text nor the thumbnails. That is sort of the problem. The Plex you can resize the view / thumbnails and combined with OMV storage it's sort of a great combination.
    I haven't tried jellyfin but may give one of the others a try too.

NAS and organizing my files was step 1, then media server step 2 then other things to try after that.

thanks

• Jellyfin is the OSS fork of Emby. Before you bother with it make sure the client apps you need are available for it. Plex is widely supported.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!