An interesting OMV5 setup with ARM Debian on Linksys router

• Actually I tried to do this a few years ago, but with some kernel hardware support issue I have to give up, now as my Linksys WRT1900AC v2 is retired from network, I decided to have another attempt, with some success.

Here is Linksys WRT1900AC v2, with ARM Debian Buster installed. The router has 1 x USB3 + 1 x USB2 (combo port shared with eSATA 6Gbps), I used USB3 to host root FS, leaving the valuable eSATA port to connect a 4-bay 3.5" eSATA enclosure. The enclosure has no RAID function, the router eSATA were known to support port multiplier, a couple years ago my failure was due to old kernel doesn't support SATA PMP, and only 1st drive can be recognized (Well you can still use it as a 1-bay NAS, but I don't like it).

Manual OMV 5.6 installation, it has quite a lot of custom things to be done. For example my kernel has no quota/BTRFS (after compiling kernel module still doesn't work, so I give up), ZFS not supporting 32bit ARM so I know there is no hope. All these requiring extra configuration and setup. The 1st picture was showing I have a 8GB USB flash memory as root FS, but later I changed it back to a normal 2.5" USB HDD because I don't want it to be killed by kernel compilation + OMV logging that soon.

Hardware supports HDD hotplug, OMV has no hassle with this, every single plug/remove event just need a simple scan (sometimes I don't even need to).

eSATA has much higher stability, I inserted 3 x 4TB 7200rpm drive to build a RAID 5 volume, hdparm cached disk read gave me a 320MB/s transfer rate, and CPU loading/memory usage still low.

The next thing I am still working hard on is the LUKS disk encryption, (my CPU has crypto acceleration) it says failed to create, but no actual errors, I don't even know how it was dead :(

Wanted to use docker but kernel has no virtual ethernet support (veth), I compiled but after pulling container the system went crazy, I guess docker on 32bit ARM isn't very usable? I am still wondering what else I could do because almost all plugins moved to dockers.

• Offizieller Beitrag

While I think using zfs and luks on this system would be more painful than the journey has already been, armhf and even armel is supported for zfs by debian - https://packages.debian.org/se…on=names&keywords=zfs-zed. Docker works pretty well on 32 raspbian builds on RPis. Most of your problems have to be kernel config. Are you compiling a new kernel or just trying to compile modules? The latter is a pain on these custom arm kernels. I would build a new kernel with the modules you need compiled in. veth and btrfs shouldn't be an issue.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• While I think using zfs and luks on this system would be more painful than the journey has already been, armhf and even armel is supported for zfs by debian - https://packages.debian.org/se…on=names&keywords=zfs-zed. Docker works pretty well on 32 raspbian builds on RPis. Most of your problems have to be kernel config. Are you compiling a new kernel or just trying to compile modules? The latter is a pain on these custom arm kernels. I would build a new kernel with the modules you need compiled in. veth and btrfs shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah I compile the kernel, since I am using some pre-built image, and due to MTD size limit on particular member in the series (the WRT1900AC v1), building everything into kernel will be a problem, but as a newer kernel version is on the way, I already suggesting to include more features inside.

• edwardwong80

Hat den Titel des Themas von „An interesting OMV5 setup with ARM Debian on router“ zu „An interesting OMV5 setup with ARM Debian on Linksys router“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!