Is there a date forecast to release the new OMV version 6?

• I don't recall ever seeing a future release date posted. I wouldn't expect to see one this time.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've found that new OMV version is planned to this quarter, but Is there a date forecast to release the new OMV version 6?

Day: When

Month: It's

Year: Ready

:)

As said above, been that way for years.

Also, it would really surprise me if it is out this quarter.. like, I'll fall over dead w/ a heart attack, surprised.. :)

• Any chance we can get a Beta or something to load up? I got this old server hardware I've been reloading several NAS products and testing to see which ones I like better. I like the images of the new one so far. Would love to load and try.

• Packages are already in the repo. You just have to install a plain debian10 and then install omv6 the same way you would install omv 5*. Just replace the keyword usul with shaitan. That is the codename of omv6. Note that you should really use it for testing only at the moment since it is still Alpha. There is no support if you encounter any problem.

* Install OMV5 on Debian 10 (Buster)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Note that you should really use it for testing only at the moment since it is still Alpha.

I wouldn't even install it yet. There really isn't anything you need to test yet. It isn't even using Debian 11 (bullseye) yet and is likely to change a lot. I have barely started porting things either. OMV 5.x plugins will not work at all.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

if they wanna play, why not

Because people start asking when things will be ready sooner and start reporting bugs before dev is even done.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I see it different but think that’s ok

As someone who doesn't have to field the asks and bug reports, I can see why. I've been through a lot of new versions of OMV and every time, people try to start using it too early. It always bites them in the ass and causes me to have to spend more time supporting instead of finishing the porting to the new version.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As someone who doesn't have to field the asks and bug reports, I can see why. I've been through a lot of new versions of OMV and every time, people try to start using it too early. It always bites them in the ass and causes me to have to spend more time supporting instead of finishing the porting to the new version.

That is almost verbatim what I was going to say... If you have a huge team of dev's, etc.. then what he suggested is fine... OMV is basically you and votdev.. so that has to change the approach, IMO

• That’s clear but I don’t see a real problem anyway. I would simply not answer such requests and/or configure the forum to add a auto note on omv6 related topics. However, I am aware that U don’t like that and as U can see in my post I made sure to state that there will be no support.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That’s clear but I don’t see a real problem anyway. I would simply not answer such requests and/or configure the forum to add a auto note on omv6 related topics. However, I am aware that U don’t like that and as U can see in my post I made sure to state that there will be no support.

Why would you release alpha/beta software, and then not answer bug reports, requests, etc..? A main point of an alpha/beta release is for feedback, so if you have no intention of listening to the reports/suggestions, then why even release it?

• The problem isn't so much with alpha/beta software being available or not - it's with end users wanting to get the "latest and greatest" regardless of stability. And they generally aren't qualified to actually test the software and report bugs or, for that matter, fix them.

• I get that but I find it wrong trying to keep it secret by just not telling them how to install a package. You are free to handle it that way. If I was the person that asked, I would appreciate a proper answer with a warn that it is in development and therefore for testing only without any support. There are lots of things I learned that way. So that is how I handle such requests.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Having them in the repos makes things easier to do dev. If you know how to install them, great. But after 10+ years of dealing with this, telling noobs how to do it only makes my life more difficult. Ignoring people just makes them angry or go elsewhere. If you want to try it out, great. But I don't see any need to "help" other people use it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!