Crashplan for backing up the NAS to the cloud

• Hi, I am looking at replacing my WHS as one of the disks has died, with OpenMediaVault. I currently use Crashplan (paid) to backup my server to the cloud and am happy with it. I'd like to continue that when I replace the server. For those who've mucked around with Crashplan on OpenMediaVault, what do you think of it, and is it reliable?

I know that Code42 are a business and they make money out of it - I don't mind. I just don't want to have to run a separate box to backup the NAS to Crashplan. I have heard of some people setting up Raspberry pi's to connect to the NAS to run the Crashplan backup but I really don't want to do that. I would like the NAS to do it on its own, if possible in a reliable manner.

Your experiences and opinions would be helpful, thanks.

• Yes, I'm looking for something like this aswell.

The questions is though, as I have multiple clients in my home, I would like to differentiate them from each other in the actual backup, so that the different clients have their own "data pool" or what you call it. This is important so you can get the backup from CrashPlan cloud to the appropriate client if needed.

• I'm using Crashplan with a familyplan to backup some computers including my omv installation. Right now I'm still uploading my first backup but since it about 1TB its ok. Upload speeds vary over the course of the day between 1Mbit and 5Mbit on my 7Mbit Upload Connection

• Zitat von "symowallo"

Hi, I am looking at replacing my WHS as one of the disks has died, with OpenMediaVault. I currently use Crashplan (paid) to backup my server to the cloud and am happy with it. I'd like to continue that when I replace the server. For those who've mucked around with Crashplan on OpenMediaVault, what do you think of it, and is it reliable?

I know that Code42 are a business and they make money out of it - I don't mind. I just don't want to have to run a separate box to backup the NAS to Crashplan. I have heard of some people setting up Raspberry pi's to connect to the NAS to run the Crashplan backup but I really don't want to do that. I would like the NAS to do it on its own, if possible in a reliable manner.

Your experiences and opinions would be helpful, thanks.

Zitat von "voyage365"

Yes, I'm looking for something like this aswell.

The questions is though, as I have multiple clients in my home, I would like to differentiate them from each other in the actual backup, so that the different clients have their own "data pool" or what you call it. This is important so you can get the backup from CrashPlan cloud to the appropriate client if needed.

Seriously. Just TWO (2) Threads below yours.... I don't want to live on this Planet anymore...

Zitat von "WastlJ"

Here´s a tutorial for setting up Crashplan without the Cloud (just with own server(s))

http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3876

Since I do not use it by myself, I cannot say if it is reliable or not.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Haha, David, I know, I even replied in that thread.
    But that thread is for setting up OMV as a CrashPlan server.

As I understand, this thread is about shipping that data to CrashPlans cloud.

• Barely awake here, seems like I mixed that up.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I think just to make sure user's accounts are backed up CrashPlan is fine. It works well with files and folders and I've done restores with it. The family plan is probably the best deal if you are willing to pay to keep your data protected. For disaster recovery of Windows machines I use Acronis. I love Acronis. Some people do not like it because it is not the most user friendly interface but it is excellent software.

I came to OpenMediaVault after having been WHS-2011 user. I'll never run a server with a Windows product again. Spent a lot of money and was not happy.

PS-Put the time into Linux. It might be difficult at first but it is worth it.
    PPS- You can backup your OMV's data drives with CrashPlan too. I will make more Guides on it when I have time.

• Thanks for the opinions. Like I said, or possibly implied - I know people have done it, but I was more after experiences than anything else.

I am only backing up my server to crashplan, as my clients backup to the server anyway - or at least they should be.

Main thing is to avoid having to run multiple systems to do backup. I find that if you have to think about it, it doesn't happen.

Fear not david or whatever your name is, I'm not trying to be annoying, so please relax a little.

• I'm sorry for my post. I was a bit sleepy and did not noticed that you want to achieve something different, then what tekkbebe just made a tutorial for.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!