Question about Jellyfin vs Plex

• I am considering installing Jellyfin.

I installed Plex for local media files bit is very bloated with too many features that I just don't need for my home media files. Also I can't figure out how to add extra categories and folders in Plex to sort things easily.

I am mostly wanting to view on roku, and roku media player adds folder whenever I add one to the media server
    Plex doesn't seem to do this.

I've never used or seen Jellyfin in action and wondered how the interface looks for thumbnails and how easy does it make adjustments when adding folder for categories etc.

I just don't want all videos lumped into a video folder and/or videos category.

I want something that can easily create a folder like "work out videos" and put only work out videos there and then have the media server show a "work out videos" category of folder there.

What media server or method can be used for this subject ?

Thanks

• No experience with Plex here, but I use Emby - running as a server alongside OMV on the host - and a Roku Streaming Stick+ with the Emby client, and this combination works perfectly. Emby does allow you to create multiple "libraries," for example workout videos if you so desire.

While Emby has gone closed source a while ago, Jellyfin is a completely open-source fork and should be very similar. So it should be just right for you - can't hurt to try.

• Plex allows you to have as many libraries as you want and you can name them whatever you want. Sounds to me that you don't understand library creation in Plex.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Plex allows you to have as many libraries as you want and you can name them whatever you want. Sounds to me that you don't understand library creation in Plex.

It's possible
    I installed Plex docker/portainer, then added the lines in the editor that point to my shared folders for OMV

In plex I added libraries and those libraries seem limited to only certain categories.

I created other shares, or even added sub folders to the share, but I don't understand how plex can make use of this extra library / folder or give it a category such as "work out videos"

• I don't know why that image is inside of the quote but the attachments just seemed to do that. Anyhow you can see the pic . where do I go from here ? I only see the ability to add to one of those categories not create new ones.

• You would create a new library of type Other Videos and put whatever name you want in the Name box. Then click next and then click on the Browse for Media button and select the folders you want included in that new library.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You would create a new library of type Other Videos and put whatever name you want in the Name box. Then click next and then click on the Browse for Media button and select the folders you want included in that new library.

Yep, I did this exactly that but it didn't work. Just created all videos lumped in with Other Videos category.

But.........
    I just tried again after your post which suggested it's suppose to work as I expected.
    It actually worked this time. Not sure what happened last several attempts but all is good now.

So I assume I still MUST create the extra link in the portainer editor too ?

Do I have to create extra shared folders in OMV or can I create sub folders and just edit portainer ?

Thanks

• Not sure if it's an option for you, but if you have a decent Android box (I have an nvidia shield). Install Kodi, point it at an nfs or smb share.. scan, you're not using all the illegal add ons, Kodi is a great media player for local content.

I looked at Kodi and it looks great and popular. Just didn't seem to have a good roku method which I have placed some importance on.

Thanks

• So now how do I get rid of Plex "Other Videos" library that I linked to ?
    I added a library in Other Videos - Work Out Videos
    However, those videos and folder is the same for the original "Others Videos"

How do get rid of the original referenced library for Others Videos so I don't have duplicate libraries in there.

• No experience with Plex here, but I use Emby - running as a server alongside OMV on the host - and a Roku Streaming Stick+ with the Emby client, and this combination works perfectly. Emby does allow you to create multiple "libraries," for example workout videos if you so desire.

While Emby has gone closed source a while ago, Jellyfin is a completely open-source fork and should be very similar. So it should be just right for you - can't hurt to try.

Do you happen to know if adding network subfolders is easily realized by Jellyfin ?

Plex adding libraries is more complicated then just adding folders but seems to force me to create shares in OMV, then add the editor lines to portainer, then add libraries in Plex UI.

How does Jellyfin act for adding sub folders in the network browser. ?
    Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I looked at Kodi and it looks great and popular. Just didn't seem to have a good roku method which I have placed some importance on.

Thanks

ah I missed the Roku part. Yes since roku locks their devices down as hard as apple, no joy there, since roku won't let kodi in it's app store

• Offizieller Beitrag

I want something that can easily create a folder like "work out videos" and put only work out videos there and then have the media server show a "work out videos" category of folder there.

This can be done with jellyfin without any problem. You can create the folders and libraries you want.

• Plex adding libraries is more complicated then just adding folders but seems to force me to create shares in OMV, then add the editor lines to portainer, then add libraries in Plex UI.

This is absolutely not the case. You are not setting things up correctly from the outset and have painted yourself into such corners.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!