Opinions on OpenMediaVault?

• I've been looking into more than a few different software stacks to use on my upcoming file-server build. I have a lot of experience maintaining remote linux servers and doing fairly hairy things with linux as a whole, so initially I was looking into a purist ZFS on linux setup. However, when I started to see some of the cool features and web-guis that software like FreeNas and OpenMediaVault offered I started to like the idea of having a simple GUI and software that wouldn't really require me to mess with it that much for years on end (not to mention an awesome array of plugins).

I'm seriously considering OpenMediaVault, any opinions on this solution?

Thanks!

• Well, you aren't going to find any OMV haters here, they have all moved on to other things.

Maybe you should just try it and see?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 6.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 16GB ECC RAM.

• Official Post

I have a lot of experience maintaining remote linux servers and doing fairly hairy things with linux

OMV is taking control of the config files. So if you are used to edit those configs manually and want to continue to do so you have to be careful to not interfere with OMV.

• I can wholeheartedly support the usage of Openmediavault. What are my reasons for this choice:

*) Debian based, so no FreeBSD-stuff with which I feel less familiar

*) Friendly community here, always willing to help

*) Proxmox-Kernel for the pinch of extra testing from Proxmox for KVM-Machines

*) Developer listens to his users

I am using OMV since about 7 years, and it never let me down, never lost data, and it is continually and with prudence and foresight developed.

Seriously, I use it as my base for all my other virtual machines, and it is really stable and fun to use. Give it a try, you will not regret it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!