share folder on raspbian desktop?

• Hi there

I have a rather basic question - still pretty new to OMV.

I am running the "standard" raspbian on an SSD on an Raspberry pi4, and have installed OMV5 per command line successfully.

I have activated SMB.

Now I want to share a folder that I have created on my desktop, but I can't find how to do it..

When I try to create a Shared Folder, I can't select anything on the "Device" part..

Down the road I guess I'd need to share "any" folder from my raspbian - is that possible?

The ultimate goal being that I can share a folder that is constantly being synced to/with Dropbox..

Please help?

Many thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't use Raspberry OS with desktop

https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…talling_omv5_raspberry_pi

Do you have a drive with a filesystem attached.

Did you mount the filesystem from the GUI?

https://openmediavault.readthe…r_guide/newuserguide.html

• Do you have a drive with a filesystem attached.

Did you mount the filesystem from the GUI?

I'm almost sure that is only using "root" folder.

I am running the "standard" raspbian on an SSD on an Raspberry pi4, and have installed OMV5 per command line successfully.

Yes, you can do that but OMV isn't to be used it that way.

If, you want to continue using with a full desktop Raspbian and OMV, it will be at your own risk.

To answer your question: install the "sharerootfs" plugin on the "OMV-Extras" section and then make a shared folder pointing to the folder you have in the Desktop: probably will be pointing to "/home/pi/Desktop/thenameyougavetothefolder"

• Hi macon & soma

Thanks for your advice!

To answer your questions, I had both the filesystem and mounted the drive.

I found the sharerootfs and that did the trick. :thumbup:

At the same time you gave me the heads up I shouldn't be running OMV & desktop.. =O

I'm doing this because I don't quite know how else to achieve my goal: a little home server whose contents I want to share with ease locally (OMV) and access remotely (syncing constantly and to a third-party cloud like dropbox).

Additionally I'd love to run Plex on this.

I hope I don't annoy anyone by admitting in all honesty that I have chosen OMV mostly due to the ease of samba sharing, including the super easy management of different levels of access for different users..

As you surely know, for relative linux-newbies like me, it's a bit of a "jungle" to get all these up and running only over command line, so the idea was that on a Desktop GUI I could manage all this a bit more easily..

Do you think I will I regret this?

Do you maybe have any advice on the above?

Many thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you think I will I regret this?

If it works, fine. The issue is that OMV and a (any) Desktop Environment will control the same services like network or smb. As they do it potentially in different ways this may cause problems.

Do you maybe have any advice on the above?

Use docker. You can install docker from omv-extras. From there you can also install Portainer which is a container itself and gives you another GUI which let you deploy and manage the container.

I run Plex as docker.

For backup of my clients to the NAS I use UrBackup and for backup of my NAS to the cloud I use Duplicati. All in docker.

There are several guides in the guides section.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!