PCI-E Sata Expansion Card not booting or detecting

• Hello everybody,

I've gotten my NAS with OMV 5 up and running with 4 drives (3+1 boot) on an old Dell Optiplex 390 that I got from work(the i5 config). I have tried twice now to expand my storage capacity with a pci-e sata expansion card from amazon, and twice now it hasn't worked.

First card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Second card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It just flashes this screen showing the Marvell 88SE92XX Adapter for about a second (sorry it's blurry - I can't focus and take the picture in time):

After that it just flashes _ (underscore) in the top left endlessly, and doesn't boot into OMV (or linux mint 20.1 from a USB for that matter, it will boot into linux mint normally without the card. Have not tried windows). When I unplug the sata cables from it and just have the card in the slot, it boots to OMV fine. When I have it all plugged in and try to go into the bios, it goes through this process where it shows the above screen for a second, then goes and shows me a list of options, with booting from one of my four main drives through UEFI and then booting from one of the drives off the sata card listed under legacy boot, or going into the bios or diagnostics (so the card is at least detected at some point). When I go into the actual bios, it doesn't appear and it only shows me the option for enabling or disabling my 4 sata devices. I have tried turning virtualization on and off but it still doesn't work. Does anyone know what the issue is? I'm starting to think that either I'm getting VERY unlucky with my cards OR I need to boot into windows and maybe get it to recognize and then download a driver? OR that it is an optiplex issue and that it will only work with 4 drives.

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

This is never ever going to boot from that expansion card, you should disconnect all drives and install to a usb flash drive, first a debian net install you need the amd64 then install omv using the script

Once omv is installed and booted shutdown and connect your hard drives

• Sorry should clarify the 4 drives including the boot drive are connected to the motherboard not the expansion card. I have additional drives i am trying to connect to the expansion card to upgrade my storage.

• Sorry, I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding (my apologies). You're saying to do a fresh reinstall of OMV through debian then reconnect all drives to see if it detects, then reset up everything? Or are you saying to boot through debian and fresh install off a usb to get the card recognized, then reconnect with the old setup?

Also as an aside (forgive me I am new at this) I assume that if I do a fresh install of OMV I will lose my current setup. Is there a quick and easy way to reset up your storage and parity array? I only know the way I did it when I first set it up which was to manually shred all the disks and then set up your raid array (I currently have unionfs+snapraid) and data/parity disks and then move all of your data back on to it? I know that this is a step that I will probably have to end up doing eventually (I am just hesitant to do it at the moment just to test a card) but is there a way that the community has found to make this step easier? Ie. can a new omv install detect a pre-existing setup of disks or something?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You're saying to do a fresh reinstall of OMV through debian then reconnect all drives to see if it detects, then reset up everything

Yes, doing it this way you can at least test if the server will boot with the card installed, so, (you'll need a keyboard and monitor connected + ethernet and leave the sata card in)

1) Download the Debian net install

2) Disconnect all drives from the server including your current OS drive

3) You'll need a USB flash drive to install the new OS and either a CD or another USB flash drive for the Debian net install

4) Create the boot media, burn the Debian net install to CD or use Balena Etcher to write to a USB flash drive, proceed to install

5) During the install of Debian net install you will get a menu as to what to install, all that is needed is SSH server and other system utilities

6) Once the install has completed then run the script to install OMV, when complete

7) Login as root and reboot

.8) At this stage the server will either hang as per your first post or it will boot and you will greeted with a cli login screen

9) If you get a login screen, login as root and type ip addr this will give you the ip of the server

10) If all this has worked so far then access OMV from your workstation or laptop using the ip address from above

If the above does not work then it will hang just like your #1 when you run the reboot at 7) if it hangs then it's not going to work.

As to your settings etc, test the above first, if it works plug a drive into the sata card and reboot OMV, if the server reboots then the drive should be visible in Storage -> Disks, then come back here.

• geaves

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • turns out this thing just needed a bios update

Kklokreach , with "thing" did you mean the "Dell Optiplex 390" computer or SATA card firmware?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• See, I'm having the same problem but with a non-nas system. I have desktop hardware, booting linux, but it doesn't even make it that far. I've disabled virtualization, set the PCI slot to 1x, and there's no motherboard bios update available.

I can boot just fine with no hard drive connected, but as soon as I connect one, it gets stuck on POST. Won't even let me into the bios.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out why. Seems like it's common, and nobody really has answers.

• no hard drive connected, but as soon as I connect one, it gets stuck on POST

likely a hardware defect (SATA cable, SATA card, MB slot)

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• resolve it though, by disabling IOMMU support on the motherboard

sounds like motherboard BIOS defect or/and SATA card driver defect (or a rarely occurring combination of both)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!