calibre-web portainer

• I'm trying to configure calibre-web in portainer using the self-hosted templates as per Techno Dad Life's videos. First off, thanks TDL for all the great how-tos. They are immensely helpful.

I have the calibre-web portainer installed and running. I can hit the web portal for it and see a basic config gui but keep getting an error: DB Location is not Valid, Please Enter Correct Path.

I verified my user ID and group ID are valid.

I have the following volumes mapped in the portainer:

And I added a LIBRARYINTERNALPATH env variable:

What am I missing?

• Just in case it help, this is my Portainer Stack definition:

The config directory was empty to start with, and the docker container created his DB himself if I record correctly.

Good luck to you

• If I remember correctly, calibre web is just a front end for the calibre database. So calibre itself is needed.

I think this is my issue. I thought calibre-web was all I needed. I've installed calibre and am now just trying to figure out the directory structure. Calibre seems to put everything (config and library) into one directory. If anyone has figured out a clean way to organize this, I would appreciate your guidance.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von spinach () aus folgendem Grund: edited for spelling

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here's how initially set it up a long time ago, since I didn't already have a collection of ebooks in calibre.

You've got calibre-web installed, so the rest is easy if you trust me.. :evil:

https://drive.google.com/file/…VLJWd2a8/view?usp=sharing

That's my google drive and it's a file called "metadata.db.empty"

As the name implies, it is an empty metadata file.

Download it, dump the .empty extension (I done that to differentiate it from the backup of my actual database), and put it in your /books directory

Go back to the Calibre-web UI and enter /books for your database location, assuming you followed the recommended paths.

Once it's accepted, log in w/ the default user and password (admin admin123) and start setting things up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Same problem and the empty metadata file did the trick

i put in some Epub's but Calibre can't find them in "/books"

does it take a while ?

Move the files out of your books directory. Enable Uploading, and then upload the epub through the webUI. This feature is in the admin panel under Settings/Basic Configuration/Features. (Note the checked feature under basic configuration, then in the upper right there is an icon with a little +.. use that to upload your books)..

• I struggled for a while to get this to work but finally got calibre-web working without calibre proper and just this metadata file in place of an existing calibre database. I had to delete the multiple calibre and calibre-web images in portainer and directories in my /appdata folder from my previous failed attempts at installing calibre-web and start with as clean of a slate as I could. I placed the metadata file in my /books directory before going to the calibre-web portal. I entered /books as the database directory and everything worked as expected. After enabling the 'Upload books' option in calibre-web's admin config, I could upload PDFs, epubs and mobis. This is looking very promising!

Just a couple more questions about using calibre-web:

• do you set up a new user and password for calibre-web?
    • does anyone use calibre-web with a Kobo? I have a Clara HD and am wondering how I can download by ebooks to it, preferably wirelessly. I have tried to hit calibre-web's page through the Clara's web browser but always face a 404 error.
  • I answered my own questions which I will describe below for anyone who may be interested.

I changed the default admin password, just to be safe, and set up a new user and password.

I found a post on reddit that described the following steps for accessing calibre-web which worked from my Kobo Clara HD's beta web browser:

• In the Kobo browser, enter URL: http://192.168.0.100:8083/login (or whatever your IP happens to be)
    • Enter user and password. I used my new user's credentials. Click Login.
    • This should produce an OMV page.
    • I then re-entered 192.168.100:8083 (without the /login part) and this brought me to the calibre-web portal

The Kobo browser is beta (and has been for years!) so the experience is terrible but you should be able to navigate around and download books of your choosing. They will save to your device and open as expected!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I answered my own questions which I will describe below for anyone who may be interested.

I changed the default admin password, just to be safe, and set up a new user and password.

I don't use Kobo, so can't comment on that.

However, the above... that IMO.. should be pretty much standard procedure on any container. New admin password, and a new, unprivileged user.

• Hello...

I'm just wondering if there's any way to install programs directly onto OMV without Docker? My Synology died and I've learned to do without most of the programs I used, at least until I can afford another server. But I really liked having Calibre and wanted to install it on the OMV I'm using for a file server. I've watched all the videos over and over and deployed the portainer stack at least 22 times but I get multiple errors that are probably associated with the fact that I don't know what to enter in the in the "volumes" field. Do I have to use docker to run programs on this system or is there some way I can just install programs directly?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello...

I'm just wondering if there's any way to install programs directly onto OMV without Docker? My Synology died and I've learned to do without most of the programs I used, at least until I can afford another server. But I really liked having Calibre and wanted to install it on the OMV I'm using for a file server. I've watched all the videos over and over and deployed the portainer stack at least 22 times but I get multiple errors that are probably associated with the fact that I don't know what to enter in the in the "volumes" field. Do I have to use docker to run programs on this system or is there some way I can just install programs directly?

You can, so long as you don't interfere with any ports that OMV uses (primarily 80.. but you can change that if necessary)...

What is your aversion to docker? It was really made for web apps like this and is fantastic at it.

• Please don't get me wrong, I'm not disparaging Docker. I'm sure it's wonderful and works perfectly. But I can't install Calibre no matter what I do, probably because I don't know what to put in the "volumes" section. I just thought installing the program directly might work better for me. I just want this one program. I'm not trying to replicate the functionality of my Synology. I ran all kinds of of programs on that, just not in Docker. I guess the problem is I don't know how to use Docker. Is there a recent guide somewhere that will tell me what to put in the Calibre portainer fields?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you tried setting up the container from the stacks tab in Portainer? Also volumes are easier to navigate if you have a few symlinks set up.

• I installed the symlinks plugin but there is no user manual that I can find so I'm not sure how to proceed. Symbolic link from where, to where and why? I have searched repeatedly with no luck. If you know of a tutorial, please let me know. I used a stack in the portainer thing to install Calibre. Copied it directly from the video. The "compose file" is very short and it doesn't appear that much could go wrong. However, the following line is likely to be the problem. I've put in all the paths I can see with no luck. The "Container" log just repeats rdpSaveScreen: over and over.

Code
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Files/Calibre:/config

All that said, I thought maybe I could just skip using Docker and install directly. I guess that's not recommended, though? Is there a simple Docker program I should practice on? Is Calibre known to be difficult to install? I can use this OMV to serve files so I'm not completely out of luck without Calibre. Can't access it from the internet though so it's of limited use. Any recommendations you have would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and help.

• Printing rdpSaveScreen continuously to the log is normal :-). I use calibre too because there is nothing better, but it's total crap as far as software design goes. The log is mostly useless and the interface is so pathetic that other UI's like calibre-web have emerged.

We need to see your compose file to understand what to tell you to do next. If you used network_mode bridged then you need to map the calibre ports to the host. If you did that then you can connect to the port from the web.

As far as volumes go you need two folders created one for the config dir and one for the books location. You need to set permissions on those so they are writable by the UID/GID you used in the calibre compose text. It's good IT practice to run every service using it's own user id and since you want to access these same folders from calibre-web, I would use a group id that is common and make sure the folders have that group owner with write permission. Or, keep it simple and just use your UID/GID for both (don't use root).

steve

• Offizieller Beitrag

I installed the symlinks plugin but there is no user manual that I can find so I'm not sure how to proceed. Symbolic link from where, to where and why? I have searched repeatedly with no luck. If you know of a tutorial, please let me know.

Here you go:

1. From the command line create a new DESTINATION folder at "/". You can name it anything simple and easy to remember, and anything not already created, like sym: sudo mkdir /sym
    2. Set ownership to your new home directory with sudo chown -R wayne:users /sym
    3. From your OMV GUI: In Storage/Shared Folders, copy your path to the SOURCE.
    4. in Services/Symlinks click the blue + button.
    5. In the Source field paste your SOURCE.
    6. In the Destination field type /sym/data for the data share, or /sym/appdata for the appdata share. One for each share you have.
    7. Check the enable box and click the save button.
    8. Screen shot examples are below. My example Calibre yml file is below that.
    9. I don't use Calibre-Web. Calibre has worked for me forever. Read the installation doc here.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!