User is not shown in Web GUI

• Using OMV 5 in RB4.

I have a user can used to smb and ssh, but I cannot access to the user in web GUI.

Here is output from "cat /etc/passwd".

618116 is the user have problem.

any suggestion?

• User info can be get by getent passwd.

Zitat

618116:x:1002:100:testcomment:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-DATA/HOME/618116:/bin/bash

(UID is changed for test)

However, omv-rpc -u admin 'UserMgmt' 'enumerateUsers' cannot get the user info.

It seems some function of rpc is not working correctly.

• Offizieller Beitrag

While you can use a number (as Volker mentioned on github), it doesn't make any sense to since most Linux user commands treat a real number as the user id instead of the username. I think the web interface should prevent this from being entered. Why do you have to use a number with no letters??

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• While you can use a number (as Volker mentioned on github), it doesn't make any sense to since most Linux user commands treat a real number as the user id instead of the username. I think the web interface should prevent this from being entered. Why do you have to use a number with no letters??

As you can see my name, I have used this number as my username for a few years.

Also older version of OMV recognized this number username, this behavior is changed in an update.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also older version of OMV recognized this number username, this behavior is changed in an update

Just because it worked in previous versions doesn't mean it the correct thing to do. The "bug" was allowing it in the first place. Part of allowing it was "fixed".

As you can see my name, I have used this number as my username for a few years.

I don't use my forum username(s) on any Linux systems.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Just because it worked in previous versions doesn't mean it the correct thing to do. The "bug" was allowing it in the first place. Part of allowing it was "fixed".

I can't see the point. As mentioned in Github, pure digit username is not prohibited in Debian nor OMV itself. It might be unrecommended, but nothing "incorrect". If OMV implementation cannot support it, it should be stopped at UI input. In current situation, the digit username is allowed by UI but not work correctly. It can be called "bug".

Well, you don't, I did.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't see the point.

I explained why it should not be done in Linux (OMV is Linux) in my previous post.

As mentioned in Github, pure digit username is not prohibited in Debian nor OMV itself.

Not prohibited at the Debian level but it should not be done for the reasons I mentioned. rm -rf / isn't prohibited either but you shouldn't do it. OMV should have been blocking it but a developer can't think of everything.

If OMV implementation cannot support it, it should be stopped at UI input.

I agree with this.

In current situation, the digit username is allowed by UI but not work correctly. It can be called "bug".

I did call it a bug allowing it.

• I did call it a bug allowing it.

It seems there is some misunderstands. I am not claiming OMV support digit username. If developer decided not to support it, I am OK with it.

The point I call this situation bug is UI and internal behavior is not matched. As you agreed, unsupported user behavior should be stopped at UI. So In this case, I'd call it is UI bug rather than implementation bug.

• Offizieller Beitrag

From the latest change, it seems Volker disagrees with my opinion and will allow pure number usernames in the web interface.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!